Celiac Disease also known as Celiac Sprue or Gluten-Sensitive Enteropathy is an autoimmune reaction to the consumption of wheat, barley, or rye due to the presence of a protein called gluten in it.
Gluten Consumption triggers an immune response in the small intestine and a prolonged reaction damages the inner lining of the small intestine and leads to malabsorption which is a lack of proper nutrient absorption.
Intestinal Damage can often lead to Diarrhea, Weight Loss, Fatigue, Anemia, and Bloating. This condition can also lead to further complications.
In this article, we will talk about the ayurvedic treatment measures that will help you to get rid of celiac disease naturally.
Before we proceed to discuss the ayurvedic treatment measures, let us take a quick look at the symptoms of the condition to understand the onset of the disease.
Symptoms of Celiac Disease
Ayurvedic Treatment Measures for Celiac Disease
Ayurveda can cure a number of ailments and conditions by making use of herbs, herbal remedies, yoga asanas, diet, and lifestyle guidelines. Celiac Disease is no exception to this fact. So, for the treatment of celiac disease, Ayurveda suggests below given treatment measures: –
1. Deepana Pachana Chikitsa
Agni Deepana and Ama Pachana are two Ayurvedic procedures that help in reinstalling and regulating the digestive fire and purging out of toxins from the body. Eating a slice of Ginger with Lime and salt before having your meal can help in smooth digestion and the removal of toxins from the body.
2. Panchakarma Therapy
Panchakarma is a five-step or 5-way elicitation therapy that helps in the purification of the body. These methods include: –
- Virechanam: Which removes toxins from the body with a laxative.
- Vamanam: Known as emesis therapy.
- Niruham: A herbal enema.
- Anuvaasan: Oil based enema.
- Nasyam: Pouring oils through the nostrils to purge out toxins, sinus pressure, etc.
Purgation and purification essentially help in dealing with Celiac Disease and its symptoms.
3. Safe and Natural Herbs
- Pippali (Piper longum): The exotic pepper that grows in central India and the Himalayan ranges, helps in rebalancing the digestive fire.
- Bilva (Aegle marmelos): Bilva concoction, when roasted, pureed, and mixed with water and buttermilk helps in calming digestive issues.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera): Ashwagandha helps in soothing internal inflammation.
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia): Guduchi helps in soothing stomach inflammation.
- Kutaja (Wrightia antidysenterica): Helps in treating diarrhea and irritable bowel syndrome, which are major symptoms of celiac disease.
- Sunthi (Zingiber officinale): Dried ginger that is, is extremely beneficial in treating gastric enzymes and aids digestion.
- Chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica): A hot and spicy herb, that helps in the re-sparking digestive fire.
- Hingu (Ferula assa-foetida): This herb is anti-inflammatory in nature and helps in boosting digestion.
- Haridra (Curcuma longa): Commonly known as turmeric, contains curcumin which naturally contains anti-inflammatory properties.
4. Diet and Lifestyle Changes
- One of the most advised techniques to avoid and treat celiac disease is to follow a gluten-free diet.
- But Ayurveda also suggests eliminating the root cause by modifying your diet and rebalancing your digestive fire. This can be achieved by cleansing your body and removal of toxins by following a fruit and vegetable diet that is also free from dairy, meat, and gluten-inclusive products.
- Drinking cleansing beverages such as hot lemon water also significantly help in the same.
- Natural herbs such as Turmeric and Ginger, as mentioned above also contribute to soothing inflammation and aiding digestion.
Making a few Diet and Lifestyle modifications can help in increasing your digestive fire along with the removal of toxins from the body.
The ayurvedic treatment measures mentioned in this article will effectively help in curing celiac disease. It is always recommended that before opting for these treatment measures, please must Consult an Ayurvedic Specialist.
If you are still struggling with this condition, you can get in touch with us at IAFA®, where our Ayurvedic Healthcare Providers provide personalized consultancy and help you treat the celiac disease successfully.