वर्चोर्वाहिनिदुष्यन्तिदुर्बलाग्ने: कृशस्यच ll
Constipation - Vibandha
Constipation is a condition manifested by less frequent bowel movement or hard and dry stools. It is more common in children caused mainly by changes in dietary habits. In most of the cases, constipation will be cured by following proper diet plan and mild exercises. In Ayurveda, the condition of constipation is clearly explained and is said to be treated properly in order to prevent complications. Vibandha or malasanga is the Ayurvedic term corresponding to constipation. Dr.Gupta’s IAFAhas effective Ayurvedic treatment for constipation by analyzing the condition of each person. IAFA takes efforts for ensuring complete relief from constipation.
Causes of Constipation
Constipation is caused by the slow movement of waste products through digestive tract. This slow movement makes the stool dry and hard. Then it will be very difficult to expel it out from the body. In children, following factors are mainly responsible for constipation:
- Dietary changes: Lack of enough fiber-rich food like fruits and vegetables or sufficient fluid may cause constipation in children. When child’s diet is changed from liquid to solid foods, there are more chances to get constipated.
- Allergy to dairy products: Allergy to cow’s milk or having large quantity of milk products like cheese, butter etc. can lead to constipation.
- Suppression of urge to defecate: Child may avoid the urge to defecate because of fear oftoileting or uninterested to stop playing. Some children may be uncomfortable to use public toilets. Also an incident of painful bowel movement may lead to withholding.
- Changes in daily routine: Changes in routine like travel, climate change or mental tension etc. can affect bowel function. Children can also experience constipation during beginning of their schooling.
- Problems with toilet training: If toilet training starts too early children may become hesitant and start to withhold the urge to defecate.
- Family history: If family members are having constipated bowels, children will be more prone to have it.
- Other clinical conditions: In rare cases, constipation may be a symptom of malformation in excretory organs, a problem with metabolic or digestive system, or any another medical condition.
- Use of medications: Certain medicines like antidepressants and others can cause constipation.
Ayurveda suggests the reasons for constipation as suppression of urge for defecation, intake of food in large quantity, lack of digestive fire etc.
Ayurvedic Reference of Constipation
Symptoms of Constipation
Following signs and symptoms may indicate constipationin children:
- Hard and dry stools
- Difficultyin passing feces
- Pain during defecation
- Abdominal pain
- Less than three defecation in a week
- Child may show changes in facial expression and body language while withholding feces
Ayurveda explains symptoms of constipation as excretion of small quantity of feces, difficulty in defecation etc.
“Gupta’s IAFAhas effective Ayurvedic treatment for constipation by analyzing the condition of each person. IAFA takes efforts for ensuring complete relief from constipation. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® aims at spreading the power of genuine Ayurveda in managing various health issues that disturb your physical, mental and emotional life”.
Keep IAFA close to your heart and experience a life of happiness and good health!!!
-Allergist, Dr. Sahil Gupta
Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine & Surgery
Master’s in Health Administration
Diet in Constipation
- Old rice & wheat
- Vegetarian diet with high fiber content
- Fruits with high fiber content
- Gruel with green gram
- Vegetable salads
- Adequate intake of warm water
- Light exercises
- Enough sleep at night time
- Toilet training at proper age
- Spicy and fast food
- Tubers like potato
- Intake of non-vegetarian food especially chicken
- Fried food and bakery items
- Suppression of natural urges
- Late night work
- Lack of sleep at night
- Straining during defecation
- Day sleep
Yoga and Pranayama in Constipation
Yoga postures make the body more flexible and increase circulation to all body parts. There are many postures that support normal bowel movement and thereby help in proper defecation. Following Yoga postures will be extremely beneficial in relieving constipation.
- Ardhamatsyendra asana
Pranayama is having wonderful effects in curing constipation. As physical and mental factors are equally important in the manifestation of constipation, pranayama will be extremely beneficial. Pranayama normalizes movement vatain the body and helps to get relaxed from haunting stress and anxiety. This helps to get rid of constipation easily.
Treatment of Constipation
Ayurveda sees the condition of Constipation as crucial because chronic Constipation may lead to many other severe complications. So Ayurvedic management of Constipation includes effective medicines for internal as well as external purposes.
Internal medicines include
Treatment Procedures that relieves constipation
- Virechana (Purgation)
- Vasti (Enema)
- Abhyanga(Oil massage)
- Swedana (Steaming)
- Phalavarthi (A type of rectal suppository)
Single herbs in the management of constipation
- Hareethaki (Terminaliachebula)
- Amalaki (Emblicaofficinalis)
- Trivrut (Operculinaturpethum)
- Eranda (Ricinuscommunis)
- Katuki (Picrorrhizakurroa)
- Aragwadha (Cassia fistula)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist