Guduci (Tinospora cordifolia)
Guduci - Tinospora cordifolia
Guduci is a large glabrous succulent climber with succulent, corky and grooved stems. It is commonly known as “Heart -leaved monseed” or “Giloy”. The name “Guduci” means the one which protects from diseases. “Tinospora” means plant stitches like a bow with the curved seeds and “cordifolia” means heart shaped leaves and cordate base. It is used in many medicinal preparations as it pacifies all three doshas-Vata, Pitta and Kapha. Guduci is widely used in diseases like fever, gout, hyper acidity, diabetes, thirst etc.
The main constituents found in Tinospora cordifolia or Guduci are tinosporide cordifolide, unosporin, tinosporon, cordifol etc. Due the action of these chemicals Guduci possess functions like Antipyretic, Diuretic, Analgesic, Immunomodulator etc. Guduci can effectively be used in various conditions including allergic reactions.
Action of Tinospora cordifolia or Guduci in Allergies
Phytoconstituents naturally found in Tinospora cordifolia or Guduci are tinosporide cordifolide, unosporin, tinosporon, cordifol, tinosporic acid, heptaconasol, tinosporidine, octaconasol, cardifolone, magnoflorine and tembetarine. The action of these constituents Guduci possess functions like Antiallergic,Antipyretic, Diuretic, Analgesic, Immunomodulator, Antioxidant and Anti-inflammatory. Studies have proven that proteins in Guduci possess macrophage activating properties which is useful in immunomodulation, inflammation and allergic reactions.
Vernacular Names and Botanical Classification
|Botanical name||Tinospora cordifolia|
|Hindi name||Giloy, Gurach, Gulvel, Guruchi|
|Sanskrit name||Amruta, Amrita, Guduchi, Chakrangi, Chakralakshana, Chandrahasa, Chinnaruha, Chinnodbhava, Jwarari, Jwaranashini, Ayattha, Amaravalli, Kundali, Devanirmita, Dhara, Nagakanyaka, Bhishakpriya, Madhuparni, Somavalli, Vyavastha, Guduchi, Jivantika, Tantrika|
|English name||Indian Tinospora, Heart Leaved Moonseed, Heart-Leaved Tinospora, Indian Tinospora, Tinospora Gulancha|
|Tamil name||Amrida Valli, Silam, Attigai,amirthavalli, kundali|
|Bengali name||Giloy, Gulancha|
|Marathi name||Ambarvale, Amrita, Amrita Valli, Guduchi, Gulvel|
|Kannada name||Agniballi, Amrutaballi|
|Telgu name||Dussiramu, Tippatige|
|Gujrati name||Gulo, Gado, Galo|
|Punjabi name||Batindu, Gilogularich|
|Malayalam name||Amritavalli, chitamrith|
|Urdu name||Gurch, Gulancha|
Ayurvedic Reference of Guduci
Parts Used of Tinospora cordifolia or Guduci
- Leaves (low potency)
Preparation and dosage of Tinospora cordifolia or Guduci
- Powder (choornam) – 3-5 gm per day
- Juice (swaras)– 60-120ml per day
- Decoction (kashayam)-30-60ml per day
Pediatric dose: 500mg two times a day for 1 year child after food for 2-3 months.
Guduci usage during the pandemic CoVid 19
At present, our IAFA experts are also conducting experiments on the effects of Tinospora cordifolia in controlling pandemic diseases like Covid 19 disease. The Tridosha pacifying (alleviating all three doshas) property of Guduci is effective against all Fevers and based on this, various studies are conducting to establish the importance of usage of Guduci in controlling the ongoing pandemic. Guduci is very effective in case of providing immune power. By the daily intake of Guduci swarasa , one can attain immune resistance against any Microbes including Corona virus. Guduci is also one of the main ingredients in Rejuvenation therapy (Rasayana Chikitsa) which helps to increase the immunity of a person. By the intake of Guduci on daily basis, the risk factor of getting infected by the Corona virus can be minimized. To obtain high resistance against any microbial infections, one can intake Guduci in any forms including Powder (churna), decoction (kashaya), juice (swarasa) etc. Our IAFA experts also successfully conducted various studies on the application of Guduci against viral infections and controlling communicable diseases.
Medicinal Properties and Uses of Tinospora cordifolia or Guduci
- Food intolerances: In indigestion, vomiting, nausea, gastritis, liver disorder, MAS and other gastrointestinal ailments.
- Sesonal allergy: found very effective in breathing problems, cough and cold, asthma, rhinitis, sinusitis and bronchitis.
- Skin allergy: pacifies tridosha; useful in skin ailments.
- Immune-modulator: helps to strengthen immunity, antiaging and rejuvenator.
- PCOS: relieves cystic swelling, antidiabetic and prevent weight gain.
- Eye Disorders: improve eye vision.
Have A Health Issue?
– Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)
Ayurvedic Allergy Specialist
CEO & Founder of IAFA®
Home remedies of Tinospora cordifolia or Guduci
Tinospora cordifolia or Guduci is used in many medicinal preparations as it pacifies all three doshas-Vata, Pitta and Kapha. So it is widely used in many disease conditions.
- In fever (jwara) – Fresh leaves of Guduci are collected, crushed well and made into decoction. Drinking this decoction for a period of 7 days can be used to treat fever
- In fever because of Vata aggravation (vataja jwara) – 10-20 leaves of Guduci are collected and squeezed to obtain juice. Taking this juice orally for can cure Fever caused by Vata dosha.
- In Gout (Vata raktha) – oil processed with decoction of Guduci and milk is used to cure Gout. Oral intake of this mixture can improve the condition.
- In Hyper acidity (amlapitta) – decoction of leaves of Guduci, Nimba (Azadirachta indica) and Patola (Tricosanthes dioica) is made. Drinking this decoction along with honey can cure hyper acidity.
- In Diabetes (prameha) – juice of Guduci taken with honey daily can be used to check Diabetes condition
- In excess Thirst (thrshna)- syrup prepared from Guduci leaves are used to alleviate thirst. Drinking the syrup immediately relieves thirst.
- In Cough (kasa) – The whole plant is taken and crushed well using mortar and pestle. It is then powdered and sieved. The powder can be taken orally for relieving Cough at a dose of 4-6 gm.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist