Bilva (Aegle marmelos)
Bilva –Aegle marmelos
Bilva, commonly known as Bael fruit is a medium sized tree having many therapeutic actions. The name Bilva means that the plant is very useful in treating dysentery. The meaning of the word Aegle is Goat, one of the hesperides daughters of the evening golden apple and Marmelos means acid pear-shaped fruit.
Dr.Gupta’s IAFA has been consistently working on the plant Bilvafor acquiringknowledge about more medicinal properties of Bilva. Our experts found out that the plant can act as an antiallergic, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, astringent, digestive, stomachic laxative , and antipyretic agent. Bilva can also be used for conditions like Diarrhea,Vomiting, Cough, Inflammation, Diabetes, Piles, Obesity etc. The fruit pulp extract of Bilva showed antioxidant property in aspirin induced gastroduodenal ulceration. The ethanolic extracts of the plant have protective actions. Our experts also found out that the leaves of Bilva have antiproliferative and antioxidant activities. The bark of the plant have antidiabetic actions and Decoction prepared from the bark can prevent diabetes.
Action of Bilva – Aegle marmelosin Allergies
IAFA has been conducting various studies on Bilva to found out the antiallergic andanti-inflammatory properties of the plant. The plant contains phytoconstituents like Marmelosin, marmelide, tannic acid, marmin, skimmianine (alkaloid), Haplopine (alkaloid), Marmelin, Skimmin, Marmesin etc and these aids in the antiallergic action of the herb. The Decoction prepared from the bark of Bilva is helpful to alleviate skin allergic conditions.
Vernacular Names and Botanical Classification
|Botanical Name||Aegle marmelos|
|Sanskrit Name||बिल्व, शाण्डिल्य, शैलूष, मालूर और श्रीफल|
Ayurveda reference of Bilva – Aegle marmelos
Morphology of Bilva – Aegle marmelos
- Deciduous armed tree
- Stem erect and woody with axillary spines
- Leaf trifoliate, elliptic
- Inflorescence is cymose axillary panicle
- Fruits are berry
Geographical distribution of Bilva – Aegle marmelos
Bilva found throughout India especially in forest and hilly areas .
Phytoconstituents of Bilva – Aegle marmelos
- Root and Root bark contains- Marmelosin, marmelide, tannic acid, marmin, skimmianine (alkaloid), Haplopine (alkaloid), Marmelin, Skimmin, Marmesin, Fatty acids, essential oil.
- Leaves contain-a and B phellandrene, Rutin, marmesinin.
- Unripen fruit- Has-Marmeline (Alkaloid), Aegeline (Alkaloid).
- Ripen fruit-Contains-Xanthotoxol, B-Sitosterol.
- Heart wood- Contains Dictamine.
Parts used of Bilva – Aegle marmelos
Dosage of Bilva – Aegle marmelos
- Decoction (kwatha) -60 ml
- Powder (churna)- 5 g
- Leaf juice(swarasa)-10 ml
Medicinal Properties of Bilva – Aegle marmelos
- Kasahara – relieves cough
- Trshnahara-alleviating thirst
- Sulahara-relieves pain
- Sophahara – relieves swelling
- Swasahara – relieves asthma
- Krimighna – useful in worm infestations
- Vranahara – useful in wounds
Have A Health Issue?
– Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)
Ayurvedic Allergy Specialist
CEO & Founder of IAFA®
Home remedies of Bilva – Aegle marmelos
Ayurveda is a devine medicinal system present from ancient times. The medicines used in Ayurvedic treatments 2 naturally available herbs which are toxic free and readily available. Bilva is one among the common herbs used in Ayurveda treatment procedure. Due to its high medicinal value it is used in treating many diseases like,
- In Piles (Arsas) – Decoction of Bilva is prepared by adding 4 times water. Patient suffering from Piles should sit in a tub containing this warm decoction of Bilva for 48 minutes.
- In Diarrhoea (Atisara)- Unripen fruit of Bilva is cleaned well and taken internally. It will alleviate diarrhoea.
- In Vomiting (Chardi) –Decoction of Bilva and Ginger is taken internally at a dose of 60ml will immediately relieve vomiting.
- In Diabetes (Prameha)– Powder of Bilvaroot is taken along with Gooseberry and honey at a dose of 5g daily will check diabetic condition.
- As a carminative (Deepana) – Bilvaunripen fruit istakenorally before food. It can act as a carminative.
- In diseases of children (Balaroga) – Unripen fruit of Bilva, Cardamom and sugar are mixed together. It is then taken along with paddy and it can improve appetite.
- In Fever (Jwara) – Decoction made with leaves of Bilva and Tulsi taken internally at a dose of 60 ml.
- In Inflammation (Sopha)- Paste prepared from Bilvabark and ghee is applied over the skin part.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist