Diarrhea in Children (Atisara)
Diarrhea in Children
Diarrhea is the state of passing loose and watery bowels. This condition is seen commonly in children due to many reasons. It may be a sudden onset that relieves easily or sometimes may be chronic and persistent. In both cases, children should be replenished with enough water or fluid to prevent dehydration. In Ayurveda, the condition of diarrhea is described as Atisara. Various scholars in Ayurveda has detailed about the causes, symptoms and treatment of Atisara. Dr.Gupta’s IAFA has effective protocol for the prevention and management of Diarrhea in children. IAFA is the pioneering institute for treating various ailments and discomforts in children.
Causes of Diarrhea in Children
Diarrhea is caused by various reasons in children. Some of the reasons are listed below:
- Infection in gut – Infection of gastrointestinal system with viruses like Rotavirus, Adenovirus etc. are the common causes for diarrhea in children.
- Food infection – The intake of food contaminated with bacteria or their toxins or parasites can sometimes result in diarrhea of children. Common bacteria involved in food poisoning are E. coli, Salmonella etc.
- Intake of contaminated water – Drinking water contaminated with bacteria or other microbes can be a causative factor for diarrhea in children.
Ayurveda suggests the general reasons for occurrence of diarrhea as drinking excess water, intake of unaccustomed food, associated with other conditions like worm infestation, excess feeding, psychological factors like fear, sorrow etc., alteration in the nature of breast milk etc.
Ayurvedic Reference of Diarrhea in Children-Atisara
Symptoms of Diarrhea in Children
The condition in which there occur loose or watery stools at least three times in 24 hours is termed as Diarrhea. The severity of symptoms depends on the extent of infection and health status of the child. It may range from slight abdominal discomfort to severe diarrhea that last for several days. Common symptoms of Diarrhea in children are:
- Abdominal cramps
- Body Pain
- Head ache
- Pain may reduce by passing of bowels
- Stools mixed with blood or mucus
Symptoms may last for 3-5 days. Before attaining regular bowel pattern, slight diarrhea may persist for a few more days.
Ayurveda explains the symptoms of Diarrhea as, discoloration of body, uneasiness of mouth, fatigue, lack of sleep, absence of flatulence etc.
“Dr.Gupta’s IAFA has effective Ayurvedic protocol for the prevention and management of Diarrhea in children. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® is the pioneering institute for treating various ailments and discomforts in children”.
Your child’s health is safe within the arms of IAFA!!!
-Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)
Ayurvedic Allergy Specialist
CEO & Founder of IAFAⓇ
Diet in Diarrhea of Children
Do’s (Pathya) in Diarrhea of Children
- Intake of fiber containing fruits and vegetables
- Light and easily digestible food
- Intake of lesser quantity of food
- Frequent intake of lukewarm water
- Maintain good hygiene to prevent infection
- Wash hands properly before and after toilet use and also before touching food
- Hygienic breast feeding
- Take bath after playing with pets
Don’ts (Apathya) in Diarrhea of Children
- Excess food intake
- Improperly cooked food
- Intake of food before digesting previous meal
- Cold water
- Fried and bakery food
- Bottled soft drinks and artificial juices
- Intake of unfamiliar food items
- Over anxiety during exam time
- Mental stress of children
- Playing in contaminated water
Yoga and Pranayama in child diarrhea
Practice of Yoga helps to improve digestive power and to strengthen abdominal muscles. Regular practice of following Yoga postures will be helpful in reducing the mental stress and also to empower the digestive system
Pranayama helps to bring the movement of Vatadosha under control. It helps in maintaining normal bowel movements and to relax the mind as well as body.
Ayurvedic Treatment of child diarrhoea
Ayurveda has detailed protocol for the management of Diarrhea in children. It includes internal medicines, treatment procedures and judicious use of single herbs.
Internal Medicines for child diarrhea
Treatment Procedures for Child Diarrhea
- Sirolepa (Application of medicinal paste on head)
- Sirodhara (Pouring medicated water on head)
- Sirovasti (Retention of medicated oil on head)
Single Herbs in the Management of Child Diarrhea
- Musta (Cyperusrotundus)
- Ahiphena (Papaversominiferum)
- Karanja (Pongamiapinnata)
- Patha (Cissampelospareira)
- Kutaja (Holarrhenaantidysentrica)
- Aswagandha (Withaniasomnifera)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)