Coeliac Disease (Grahani)
Coeliac Disease (CD) is a permanent, irreversible but treatable multifactorial disease triggered by the ingestion of gluten (a plant storage protein contained in wheat, barley and rye) in genetically predisposed individuals and resulting in autoimmunesmall intestinal inflammationwithsystemic implications. It’s also known as celiac sprue, non-tropical sprue, or gluten-sensitive enteropathy. A wide variety of clinical presentations have also been described for CD both in children as well as in adults, including “Typical,” “Atypical,” “Silent,” and “Potential” forms.
According to Ayurveda, this can be correlated with Grahani in Ayurveda. Grahani is described as an Agni Adhishthana by most of the Acharya. Mandagni (functionally weak Agni) is a root cause of Ama Dosha and it is the crucial factor for manifestation of most of the diseases. Among them, Grahani is the prime disease of gastro-intestinal tract and seen often.
Dr. Gupta’s IAFA has a separate pediatric wing with extensive experience in pediatric care in Ayurveda, providing seamless diagnostics and solutions for all paediatric ailments.
Causes of Coeliac disease
Coeliac disease is caused by a reaction to gluten, a group of various proteins found in wheat and in other grains such as barley and rye.Moderatequantities of oats, free of contamination with other gluten-containing grains, are usually tolerated.
Ayurvedic reference of Coeliac Disease-Grahani
The classic presentation of CD includes diarrhoea, vomiting, abdominal pain and distention, and malabsorption. These symptoms usually appear between 6 and 24 months of age after gluten-containing foods are added to the diet. Young children may present wit irritability, suboptimal growth, and failure to thrive.
Older children may report
- Joint pain
- Weight loss or weight gain
- Dermatitis herpetiformis skin lesions
- Short stature
- Delayed puberty
- Decreased bone density
- Dental enamel defects
- Iron deficiency anemia unresponsive to iron therapy
- Low serum albumin levels
- Recurrent infections
- Easy bruising
- Hair loss etc.
As per Ayurveda, the symptoms include
- Muhu Baddha and Drava Mala Pravritti (either constipation or loose stools)
- Udara Shoola (abdominal pain)
- Udara Gaurava (heaviness of abdomen
“At Dr. Gupta’s IAFA we are providing very effective treatment for Coeliac disease inchildren based on the classical principle of Ayurveda and our research. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® ensures that our health care system better meets the needs of all about your child’s health”.
Better care and better understanding!!! Dr. Gupta’s IAFA for your child’s future!!
-Allergist, Dr. Sahil Gupta
Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine & Surgery
Master’s in Health Administration
Diet in Coeliac Disease
Do’s (Pathya) in Coeliac Disease
- Include herbs like ginger, fennel and cumin that will stimulate digestive enzyme secretions which will further improve digestion, absorption and clear away the accumulated toxins out of the body.
- Drink freshly prepared well-churned buttermilk spiced with cumin, ginger and curry leaves regularly. This will improve your Agni as well as enhance absorption also.
- Take a green food supplement once a day
- Include yoghurt, buttermilk, juices, pulses and fruits in diet
- Include old rice, buckwheat, ragi, whole corn, millets and gluten free oats.
- Include ginger, coriander leaves, lentil, green gram soup, black pepper, nutmeg and skimmed milk in diet
Don’ts (Apathya) in Coeliac Disease
- Avoid bread crumbs, soya sauce, vegetable starch, natural flavouring.
- Avoid all food items that contain gluten like those made from wheat, rye, oats and barley.
- Avoid processed foods that contain gluten.
Yoga Therapy for Coeliac Disease
Yoga therapy is extremely beneficial to treat Coeliac disease since there is an underlying psychological component in many of the intestinal diseases. Yogasanas and pranayama are more beneficial to the patients.
- Balasana (child’s pose)
- Parivrtta Trikonasana (revolved Triangle Pose)
- Setu Bhanda Sarvangasana (Bridge Pose)
- Supta Matsyendrasana (Supine twist
- Ardha Pavanamukthasana (Half Wind Release Pose) When there is extreme fatigue, pranayama is effective
Ayurvedic Treatment for Coeliac Disease
Primary treatment should be planned such that the Agni (digestive fire) of the patient increases. Ayurvedic diet and lifestyle play a significant role in managing the symptoms and treating the disease. Ayurvedic treatment corrects the immune system, calming down the gut brain, the digestive disturbance, improving the absorption of nutrients from the food through yoga, lifestyle recommendations, Panchakarma therapy and internal medication.
Internal Medicines for Coeliac Disease
- Kutaja Ghana vati
- Chitraka Vati
- Hingvadi Vati
- Guduchi satva
- Dadimadi ghritham
- Guluchyadi Kashaya
- Drakshadi Kashaya
- Pravala panchamrita
- Triphala Churna
- Dadimashtaka churna
- Shivakshara Churna
- Trikatu Churna
External Medicines for Coeliac Disease
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Tulasi (Ocimum sanctum)
External therapies for Coeliac Disease
- Enema Therapy (using milk and medicated drugs)
- Lepa ((Application of medicines on body)
Single herbs used in Coeliac Disease as per Ayurveda
- Kutaja (Holarrhena Antidysenterica)
- Bilwa (Aegle marmelos)
- Musta (Cyperus rotundus)
- Pippalimoola (Piper longum)
- Chavya (Piper chaba)
- Chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica)
- Sunthi (Zingiber officinale)
- Amlavetasa (Garcinia pedunculata)
- Maricha (Piper nigrum)
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist