Celiac Disease (Grahani)
Ayurvedic Treatment of Celiac Disease - Causes, Symptoms
Celiac Disease (CD) is a permanent, irreversible but treatable multifactorial disease triggered by the ingestion of gluten (a plant storage protein contained in wheat, barley, and rye) in genetically predisposed individuals and resulting in autoimmune small intestinal inflammation with systemic implications. It’s also known as celiac sprue, non-tropical sprue, or gluten-sensitive enteropathy and also spelled as Coeliac disease. A wide variety of clinical presentations have also been described for CD both in children as well as in adults, including “Typical,” “Atypical,” “Silent,” and “Potential” forms.
According to Ayurveda, this can be correlated with Grahani in Ayurveda. Grahani is described as an Agni Adhishthana by most of the Acharya. Mandagni (functionally weak Agni) is a root cause of Ama Dosha and it is the crucial factor for the manifestation of most of the diseases. Among them, Grahani is the prime disease of the gastrointestinal tract and is seen often.
We at IAFA® provide seamless diagnostics and Ayurvedic treatment for all pediatric ailments such as Celiac Disease. We have a separate pediatric wing with extensive experience in pediatric care in Ayurveda.
Causes of Coeliac Disease
Coeliac disease is caused by a reaction to gluten, a group of various proteins found in wheat and in other grains such as barley and rye. Moderate quantities of oats, free of contamination with other gluten-containing grains, are usually tolerated.
Ayurvedic Reference of Coeliac Disease (Grahani)
Symptoms of Coeliac Disease
The classic presentation of CD includes diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain and distention, and malabsorption. These symptoms usually appear between 6 and 24 months of age after gluten-containing foods are added to the diet. Young children may present with irritability, suboptimal growth, and failure to thrive.
Older children may report:-
- Joint pain
- Weight loss or weight gain
- Dermatitis herpetiformis skin lesions
- Short stature
- Delayed puberty
- Decreased bone density
- Dental enamel defects
As per Ayurveda, the symptoms include:-
- Udara Shoola (Abdominal pain)
- Udara Gaurava (Heaviness of the abdomen)
“At Dr. Gupta’s IAFA® we are providing very effective treatment for Celiac Disease in children based on the classical principle of Ayurveda and our research. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® ensures that our health care system better meets the needs of all about your child’s health”.
Better care and better understanding!!! Dr. Gupta’s IAFA® for your child’s future!!
– Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)
Ayurvedic Allergy Specialist
CEO & Founder of IAFA®
Diet in Celiac Disease
Do’s (Pathya) in Celiac Disease
- Include herbs like ginger, fennel, and cumin that will stimulate digestive enzyme secretions which will further improve digestion, absorption and clear away the accumulated toxins out of the body.
- Drink freshly prepared well-churned buttermilk spiced with cumin, ginger, and curry leaves regularly. This will improve your Agni as well as enhance absorption also.
- Take a green food supplement once a day.
- Include yogurt, buttermilk, juices, pulses, and fruits in the diet.
- Include old rice, buckwheat, ragi, whole corn, millets, and gluten-free oats.
- Include ginger, coriander leaves, lentil, green gram soup, black pepper, nutmeg, and skimmed milk in the diet.
Don’ts (Apathya) in Celiac Disease
- Avoid bread crumbs, soya sauce, vegetable starch, natural flavoring.
- Avoid all food items that contain gluten like those made from wheat, rye, oats, and barley.
- Avoid processed foods that contain gluten.
Yoga Therapy for Coeliac Disease
Yoga therapy is extremely beneficial to treat Coeliac disease since there is an underlying psychological component in many intestinal diseases. Yogasanas and pranayama are more beneficial to the patients.
- Balasana (child’s pose)
- Parivrtta Trikonasana (revolved Triangle Pose)
- Setu Bhanda Sarvangasana (Bridge Pose)
- Supta Matsyendrasana (Supine twist
- Ardha Pavanamukthasana (Half Wind Release Pose) When there is extreme fatigue, pranayama is effective
Ayurvedic Treatment of Celiac Disease
Primary treatment should be planned such that the Agni (digestive fire) of the patient increases. Natural diet and lifestyle play a significant role in managing the symptoms and treating the disease.
Ayurvedic treatment of Celiac disease corrects the immune system, calms down the gut-brain, removes the digestive disturbance, improves the absorption of nutrients from the food through yoga, lifestyle recommendations, Panchakarma therapy, and internal medications.
Internal Medications for Celiac Disease
- Kutajghan Vati
- Chitrakadi Vati
- Hingvadi Vati
- Guduchi Satva
- Dadimadi Ghrita
- Guluchyadi Kashayam
- Drakshadi Kashayam
- Pravala Panchamrit
- Triphala Churna
- Dadimashtaka Churna
- Shivakshar Churna
- Trikatu Churna
External Medications for Celiac Disease
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Tulasi (Ocimum sanctum)
External Therapies for Celiac Disease
- Enema Therapy (Using milk and medicated drugs)
- Lepa (Application of medicines on body)
Single Herbs Used in Celiac Disease as per Ayurveda
- Kutaja (Holarrhena Antidysenterica)
- Bilwa (Aegle marmelos)
- Musta (Cyperus rotundus)
- Pippalimoola (Piper longum)
- Chavya (Piper chaba)
- Chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica)
- Sunthi (Zingiber officinale)
- Amlavetasa (Garcinia pedunculata)
- Maricha (Piper nigrum)
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Ashtanga Hridaya Nidana Sthana, Atisaragrahani Nidana, Chapter 8, Sloka 16.
- Varanasi: Chaukhambha Orientalia; 2002. Sushruta Samhita by Sushruta, Dalhana Commentary. Nibandhasangraha. Uttar Tantra; p. 170.
- Charak Samhita, Sharma RK, Bhagwandas, editors. Chikitsa Sthana. Varanasi: Chaukhambha Sanskrit Series; 2001, Chakrapanidatta; p. 73.
- Child Health and Ayurveda, Edition 2021, by Sahil Gupta, Coeliac Disorder Chapter No. 46, Page No. 190-193.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)