Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity is a gluten-sensitive condition of the body which is characterized by intestinal and extra-intestinal symptoms that are caused due to the consumption of gluten-containing foods without being allergic to wheat or celiac positive. So, it is very necessary to treat Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (NCGS) successfully.
Gluten sensitivity or NCGS is a condition that affects people in whom celiac sensitivity or disease has been ruled out. This implies people with gluten sensitivity can eliminate or minimize the symptoms of NCGS by restricting or reducing the consumption of gluten-containing foods. But this has its own implications as it may affect the overall nutrition of the body. For this, we will elaborately discuss the symptoms, causes, and treatment measures of non-Celiac Gluten sensitivity that will help in controlling symptoms without interfering with the overall nutrition of the body.
Symptoms of Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity
- Skin Disorders
- Brain fog
- Joint pain
- Abdominal cramps and pain
- Bloating, gas, and flatulence
Though the symptoms of gluten sensitivity and celiac disease share commonality, NCGS lack the same intestinal damage and antibodies that affect people suffering from celiac disease.
Causes of Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity
There are no definite answers to the question of causes behind Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity. It is sometimes observed that celiac disease and gluten sensitivity might be two different aspects of a single condition, yet the two may be completely different.
The exact cause of Gluten sensitivity is still not known, but it is still believed that there may be a possibility that the body is not necessarily sensitive and reacting to gluten, but a certain carbohydrate present in certain foods, that the body cannot absorb. The carbohydrate remains in the stomach and ferments, which causes the sickness.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity
Ayurveda believes that the basic reason behind all food sensitivities, food allergies, and food intolerance come under the Asatmya (intolerance) and Agni (digestive fire) of an individual. Therefore, Ayurvedic Treatment of Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity help in restoring the digestive fire.
Home Remedies to Get Relief from Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity
- Apple: To help gluten sensitivity, one must take steamed apples at least twice a day.
- Fenugreek Seeds: Drink a solution prepared by combining dried fenugreek leaves, jaggery, and water on an empty stomach to relieve symptoms of NCGS.
- Fennel and Cuming Water: A drinking solution prepared by combining equal quantities of cumin and fennel seeds along with water helps in aiding digestion.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is rich in enzymes and aids digestion, reduces inflammation, and fights constipation. It encourages the growth of good bacteria and helps in managing symptoms related to gluten ingestion.
Diet and Lifestyle Guidelines
- A diet rich in fresh fruits and vegetables, fresh juices, pulses, and yogurt must be followed.
- Avoid consuming alcohol, tea, and caffeine.
- Avoid eating packaged and processed foods.
- Buttermilk that is prepared freshly and finished with cumin, curry leaves, and ginger helps in soothing stomach dilemmas due to gluten allergy.
- Avoid spicy, oily, and fried foods.
- Spices such as ginger, garlic, cumin, black pepper, cinnamon, the bay leaf must be included in the diet for they are rich in anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
- Avoid eating all foods that contain any traces of gluten. These food items include:
- Flours that contain Gluten:
- Wheat berries
- Baked Products Such As:
- Wheat crackers
- Certain Condiments Such As:
- Gravy mixes
- Soy sauce
- Cream sauces
- Barbeque sauce
- Malt Vinegar
- Salad dressings
- Spice blends
- Snacks Such As:
- Granola bars
- Energy bars
- Cereal bars
- Candy bars
- Snack mixes
- Kinds of Pasta That Are Wheat-Based, Such As:
- Beverages, Such As:
- Premade coffee mixes
- Bottled wine
- Drink mixes
- Processed Foods, Such As:
- Canned soups and mixes
- Flavored tofu
- Breakfast cereals
- Ice creams
- French fries
- Flours that contain Gluten:
Following a gluten-free diet isn’t an easy option, and besides the fact, it also interferes with the nutrition of the body if gluten-free foods are not properly substituted keeping the nutrition intake in mind. In case you feel the need to follow a gluten-free diet, please consult a health provider.
You may also get in touch with IAFA® for the same, as our team of highly experienced ayurvedic doctors provides the best ayurvedic solutions for various food allergies and sensitivities by taking care of your body’s nourishment while treating your specific health condition.