Allergies represent a common and serious health problem in pediatric age groups in terms of outpatient visit. The chronic nature and its association with other comorbid conditions has influenced many parents towards alternative treatments. Moreover, there is a growing concern of long- term use of dose related side effects of antihistamines, corticosteroids etc. Considering etiopathogenesis of allergies in children, Ayurvedic herbal treatment can show positive effects in relieving the symptoms of allergies in the pediatric population. This case study highlights the successful treatment of tree nut allergy, peanut allergy, angioedema and nasal allergies and asthma in a 2+ years male child residing in Canada through Ayurvedic intervention under the supervision of Dr. Gupta at IAFA®.
The incidence of allergic disorders in children continues to rise. The allergic diseases occur in a time-based order: from atopic dermatitis and food allergy in infancy to gradual development into allergic asthma and allergic rhinitis. This phenomenon is defined as Allergy March. In modern medicine, the mechanisms underlying the atopic march are not completely understood. Here, we review the concept of atopic march through Ayurvedic perspective and its successful treatment through Ayurvedic measures by Dr. Gupta at IAFA® in a 2+ year old child residing in Canada. The child was having food allergy particularly peanut allergy, tree nut allergy, angioedema specifically over the lips nasal allergy and its associated symptoms. The doctor in Canada suggested to use pumps or inhalers for asthma but the child’s mother did not allow the child to use it because of their habitual use. At IAFA®, various Ayurvedic external as well as internal treatments were prescribed that include herbs beneficial in the form of medicated ghrita to improve immunity were used orally. The patient showed a steady decrease in all the symptoms. This management not only cleared the symptoms totally but no recurrence manifested.
Keywords: Ayurveda for allergy, Allergy March, Successful treatment of peanut allergy, tree nut allergy, nasal allergy, Ayurvedic intervention, tree nut allergy treatment.
The incidence of Allergy March in children has increased in frequency in recent decades. Children with allergy march may develop a typical sequence. Allergy March may be defined as a propensity to produce IgE antibodies and sensitization in response to certain triggers which are generally harmless. The risk of developing allergy march is complex and the temporal pattern may not be a simple progression.
The diagnosis of allergens in children is still a challenge. Allergy March usually has remissions and exacerbations but total relief and maintaining good health is always the expectation. Keeping the whole system healthy without adverse effects is the solution which is gaining maximum demand to opt for Ayurveda management especially in children.
Both Ayurveda and modern medical science agree regarding the Nidana of the disease as host factors. Therefore, Nidana Parivarjanam plays a key role in the management strategy in both sciences.
Ayurvedic Concept of Allergy
Ayurveda explains the pathology of allergies as immune dysfunction which is due to the formation of Ama (undigested intermediate product) which creates imbalance of the doshas.
Ayurveda has potent herbs and herbal remedies that have immunomodulatory, anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory effects which can be used for breaking the pathology of allergies at various levels and thus give prompt relief to the patient.
- Name: Joven Sahota
- Age: 2+ years
- Gender: Male
- Address: Calgary, Canada
- UID: 6906
- Date of Consultation: 12/02/2022
- Multiple food protein intolerance specifically with tree nuts and peanuts.
- Allergic Response: Angioedema over lips and urticarial rashes over the body after ingesting the allergen (food).
- Nasal Allergy and its associated symptoms.
- Shortness of breath
- Formula milk was introduced at the time of birth for the first 15 days.
- After that, exclusive breastfeeding up to 2 years and bloating at the time of introduction of any milk other than mother’s feed.
- Symptoms of Atopic Dermatitis (extreme dryness) at the age of 3 months.
- For Nasal: Pratimarsha Nasya with: Nasa Yoga Grutham
- For Skin: IAFA Shishu Diaper Rash Oil for Local Application (Enriched with Karanj Oil)
- IAFA Swaras Chikitsa with: Aahar Amrutham Ras
- Aahar Amrutham Bindu
- Shishu Laxoherb
Dosage/Method of Usage:
- Nasa Yoga Grutham: 1-2 drops of lukewarm grutham to be instilled in bilateral nostrils twice a day in the morning and at bed time.
- IAFA Shishu Diaper Rash Oil: 3-5 ml IAFA Shishu Diaper Rash Oil to be applied over the affected body part during allergic response over the affected area.
- Aahar Amrutham Ras: 7.5 ml to be taken with equal quantity of water after meals.
- Aahar Amrutham Bindu: 1 ml with 10 ml water to be taken twice a day anytime.
- Shishu Laxoherb: 2 ml with 20 ml water to be taken once a day at bedtime.
This treatment was started on 12/02/2022 and is advised to follow the same for three months. In between three months, regular follow-ups were scheduled to track the health status of the patient. After three months, it was found that nasal and skin allergies were settled, so the treatment was modified specifically on food protein intolerances under the guidance of Dr. Gupta.
After three month, the child was having following complaints:
- Multiple food protein intolerance specifically with tree nuts and peanuts.
Treatment Plan Based on the Symptoms:
- For Nasal: Pratimarsha Nasya with: Nasa Yoga Grutham: 1-2 drops of lukewarm grutham to be instilled in bilateral nostrils twice a day in the morning and at bed time.
- For Skin: IAFA Shishu Diaper Rash Oil for Local Application (Enriched with Karanj Oil): 3-5 ml IAFA Shishu Diaper Rash Oil to be applied over the affected area during allergic response.
- IAFA Swaras Chikitsa: Aahar Amrutham Ras: 7.5 ml with water twice a day with equal amount of water after meal.
- Anthra Mithram Gulika: 1 tablet to be taken once a day after meals. Mash the tablet and give it with lukewarm water.
- Shishu Laxoherb: 1 ml with 20 ml water once a day at bedtime.
Along with the treatment, the patient’s parents were strictly advised to follow the restrictions in the patient’s diet regarding food.
- More fiber and seasonal fruits and vegetables, old rice, buckwheat, ragi, whole corn, millets, gluten free oats, frequent intake of small amounts of lukewarm water.
- High fat foods such as cream, butter, greasy food, spicy food, fermented, stale, preserved and packaged food.
After continuing the modified treatment for one month, the child got significant relief. The sesame seeds on the top of the burger that he was allergic to before is not triggering him now. Till date, not only there is exacerbation of symptoms in the child but there was also complete absence of adverse events reported during the course of treatment under the supervision of Dr. Gupta.
The child’s mother was very happy with the response the child got from Ayurvedic treatment administered by IAFA® in a short duration of time. She is happy with the outcome and left IAFA® with a happy note.
Below is a Happy Note from the patient’ mother Rajvinder Kaur from the video testimonial:
“I searched on Google to know why he’s having such kind of issues. I saw your website and messaged you on WhatsApp and talked to you. Some people de-motivated me by saying that Ayurveda treatment is not good. Then, you made me believe that it will get solved by the time. I have continued the treatment from you and right now, his skin is very clear and there is no patch now, his nasal allergies are fine. He can live in any weather and he does not have any sneezing, runny nose. All his problems are over. Very good medicines. Thanks a ton! Thanks, IAFA for curing my child. My message is that have a faith, try the treatment and definitely you will get rid of allergies.”
The Ayurveda approach of management of allergies is to potentiate the immune system of the individual in order to reduce the susceptibility towards the allergens and at the same time providing relief to the patient. Thus, from this case study, it can be concluded that the treatment provided by IAFA® can prove beneficial in dealing with pediatric allergic disorders and provide effective and long – term solutions to allergic disorders and thereby may improve quality of life. This is an important finding with respect to the disease severity, prognosis and non-response to established conventional therapies.
In dealing with allergies of various etiologies, IAFA® sincerely hopes to support you along the way for achieving a life marked by ever-improving health and wellness for you as well as your loved ones! IAFA® offers quality Ayurvedic products for peanut allergy treatment, tree nut allergy treatment, Asthma treatment and treatment of different types of allergies that represent the goodness of nature. For any assistance, you can contact us. Wishing you good health!