Angioedema (Advanced Stage of Sitapitha)
पित्तेनसहसंभूयबहिरन्तर्विसर्पत: l l
Angioedema- Advanced Stage of Sitapitha
Angioedema refers to the swelling of the region below the skin. It occurs rapidly, usually as an allergic reaction. Sometimes angioedema may occur as hereditary. The oedema occurs mainly at regions with loose tissues like face, throat, limbs and genitals. The swelling affects deeper layers of skin like sub-cutaneous layer, mucosa layer, sub mucosa layer etc. InAyurveda, the condition can be considered as the advanced stage of Sitapitha. Dr. Gupta’s IAFAis well equipped for the accurate management of Angioedema through Ayurveda. IAFA is providing the best treatment available for allergy related diseases like Angioedema.
Causes of Angioedema
The major causes of Angioedema are mentioned below:
- Insect bites
- Certain medications
- Contact with plant latex
- Genetic reasons
- Use of contraceptive pills
- Some infection
- Unidentifiable reasons
In Ayurveda the reasons for Angioedema are explained as exposure to cold wind that results in aggravation of all the three doshas in body.
Ayurvedic reference of Angioedema- Advanced Stage of Sitapitha
Symptoms of Angioedema
The signs and symptoms of Angioedema occur quickly and may last for about 3 days. Major manifestations include:
- Increased warmth
- Sometimes painful
- May affect vision
- Breathing discomfort if airways are affected
- Anaphylaxis in case of severe attack
The symptoms of angioedema as explained by Ayurveda include severe pain, swelling, itching, rashes etc.
Types of Angioedema
Based on causative factors there are four types of Angioedema.
- Allergic AngioedemaThis is the most common type of Angioedema caused by allergic reaction to any food, pollen grains, toxins, animal skin etc. It occurs rapidly and may lead to anaphylactic situation.
- Idiopathic AngioedemaIn this type of Angiodema the exact cause will be unclear.
- Drug induced AngioedemaUse of certain medications like Angiotensin Converting Enzyme used in the treatment of high blood pressure, painkillers like ibuprofen etc. can result in angioedema
- Hereditary AngioedemaIn this type, many of the family members may have the same condition. In such people, the symptoms will come and go over time.
“Dr. Gupta’s IAFAis well equipped for the accurate management of Angioedema through Ayurveda. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® is the leading institution that provides genuine Ayurvedic treatment for various allergy related manifestations”.
ReachIAFA; IAFAassures you a healthy life!!!
-Allergist, Dr. Sahil Gupta
Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine & Surgery
Master’s in Health Administration
Diet in Angioedema
Do’s (Pathya) in Angioedema
- Maintain good cleanliness.
- Sufficient sleep at night
- Drink required amount of water
- Light and easily digestible food
- Include fruits and vegetables in diet
- Prefer to warm and freshly prepared food
Don’ts (Apathya) in Angioedema
- Spicy food
- Non vegetarian food especially eggs
- Oily food
- Restaurant and fast food
- Chemical-based creams and lotion
- Exposure to allergen
- Close contact with pets
- Day sleep
- Use of medicines without doctor’s prescription.
Yoga and Pranayama in Angioedema
Yogasanas help to increase strength of body and also mind. Following asanas (postures) will be beneficial in reducing the intensity of allergic conditions like angioedema:
- Surya namskar
Pranayama helps to clear the channels through which body tissues are travelling. It helps to maintain the equilibrium of body functions. It also helps to relive the stress caused by the disease.
Ayurvedic Treatment in Angioedema
Ayurveda assures effective treatment for Angioedema. The treatment protocol includes internal medicines, external procedures and also purification therapies
Internal medicines are advised according to the stage of the disease and condition of the patient. Following internal medicines can be administered as per the condition:
Following medicines can be applied externally based on the manifestations.
Following treatment procedures can be adopted according to the condition of the disease:
- Lepana (Application of medicated paste)
- Kashayadhara(Pouring medicated decoction)
- Takradhara (Pouring medicated buttermilk)
Following purification methods can be done as required:
- Vamana (Emesis)
- Virechana (Purgation)
Single drugs for Angioedema
- Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum)
- Chandana (Santalum album)
- Kumari (Aloe vera)
- Usira (Vetiveriazezanoides)
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist