Angioedema (Advanced Stage of Sitapitha)
पित्तेनसहसंभूयबहिरन्तर्विसर्पत: l l
Ayurvedic Treatment of Angioedema - Causes, Symptoms
Angioedema refers to the swelling (edema) of the region below the skin. It occurs rapidly, usually as an allergic reaction. Sometimes angioedema may occur as hereditary. Angioedema occurs mainly at regions with loose tissues like the face, throat, limbs, and genitals. The swelling affects deeper layers of skin like the subcutaneous layer, mucosa layer, submucosa layer, etc.
In Ayurveda, the condition can be considered as the advanced stage of Sitapitha. Dr. Gupta’s IAFA is well equipped for the successful ayurvedic treatment of angioedema.
Causes of Angioedema
The major causes of Angioedema are mentioned below:
- Insect bites
- Certain medications
- Contact with plant latex
- Genetic reasons
- Use of contraceptive pills
- Some infection
- Unidentifiable reasons
In Ayurveda, the reasons for Angioedema are explained as exposure to the cold wind that results in aggravation of all the three doshas in the body.
Ayurvedic Reference of Angioedema (Advanced Stage of Sitapitha)
Symptoms of Angioedema
The signs and symptoms of Angioedema occur quickly and may last for about 3 days. Major manifestations include:
- Increased warmth
- Sometimes painful
- May affect vision
- Breathing discomfort if airways are affected
- Anaphylaxis in case of severe attack
The symptoms of angioedema as explained by Ayurveda include severe pain, swelling, itching, rashes, etc.
Types of Angioedema
Based on causative factors there are four types of Angioedema.
- Allergic Angioedema – This is the most common type of Angioedema caused by an allergic reaction to any food, pollen grains, toxins, animal skin, etc. It occurs rapidly and may lead to an anaphylactic situation.
- Idiopathic Angioedema – In this type of Angioedema, the exact cause will be unclear.
- Drug-induced Angioedema – Use of certain medications like Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme used in the treatment of high blood pressure, painkillers like ibuprofen, etc. can result in angioedema.
- Hereditary Angioedema – In this type, many of the family members may have the same condition. In such people, the symptoms will come and go over time.
“Dr. Gupta’s IAFA is well equipped for the accurate management of Angioedema through Ayurveda. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® is the leading institution that provides genuine Ayurvedic treatment for various allergy-related manifestations”.
Reach IAFA; IAFA assures you a healthy life!!!
– Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)
Ayurvedic Allergy Specialist
CEO & Founder of IAFA®
Diet in Angioedema
Do’s (Pathya) in Angioedema
- Maintain good cleanliness.
- Sufficient sleep at night.
- Drink the required amount of water.
- Light and easily digestible food.
- Include fruits and vegetables in the diet.
- Prefer warm and freshly prepared food.
Don’ts (Apathya) in Angioedema
- Spicy food
- Non-vegetarian food especially eggs
- Oily food
- Restaurant and fast food
- Chemical-based creams and lotion
- Exposure to allergen
- Close contact with pets
- Day sleep
- Use of medicines without doctor’s prescription.
Yoga and Pranayama in Angioedema
Yogasanas help to increase the strength of the body and also mind. Following asanas (postures) will be beneficial in reducing the intensity of allergic conditions like angioedema:
- Surya Namaskar
Pranayama helps to clear the channels through which body tissues are traveling. It helps to maintain the equilibrium of body functions. It also helps to relieve the stress caused by the disease.
Ayurvedic Treatment in Angioedema
Ayurveda assures effective ayurvedic treatment for Angioedema. The treatment protocol includes internal medicines, external procedures, and also purification therapies.
Internal medicines are advised according to the stage of the disease and condition of the patient. Following internal medicines can be administered as per the condition:
- Manjishtadi Kashayam
- Patoladi Kashayam
- Nimbadi Kashayam
- Guluchyadi Kashayam
- Gandhaka Rasayana
- Mahatiktaka Ghrita
- Dasamoolahareethaki Lehyam
- Avipathi Churnam
Following medicines can be applied externally based on the manifestations.
- Nimbadi Churna
- Nalpamaradi Kera Thailam
- Rasothamadi Lepam
- Lodhradi Gana Churna
- Guluchyadi Kashayam
Following treatment procedures can be adopted according to the condition of the disease:
- Lepana (Application of medicated paste)
- Kashaya Dhara (Pouring medicated decoction)
- Takradhara (Pouring medicated buttermilk)
Following purification methods can be done as required:
- Vamana (Emesis)
- Virechana (Purgation)
- Raktamoksha (Blood-letting)
Single Herbs for Angioedema
- Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum)
- Chandana (Santalum album)
- Kumari (Aloe vera)
- Ushira (Vetiveria zizanioides)
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)