Asthma (Tamaka Shwasa)
मेघाम्बुशीतप्राग्वातैः श्लेष्मलैश्च विवर्द्धते।
सयाप्यस्तमकः, साध्यो नवो वा बलिनो भवेत्॥
Ayurvedic reference of Asthma
Causes of Asthma
In general, there are two categories of causes for Asthma namely induced factors and triggering factors.
Genetic factors and obesity are considered as the major induced factors of Asthma. The triggering factors or precipitating factors that may affect Asthma patients are
- Inhaling of various Allergens
- Wide range of upper respiratory tract infections
- Medications or drugs especially Aspirin and certain NSAIDs
- Food substances and other food additives
- Environmental factors like cold weather
- Smell of certain chemicals and
According to Ayurveda, the causes of Asthma are
- Chronic cough
- Cold food and bevarages
- Injury to vital organs
‘AshtangaHrudaya’ an ancient Ayurvedic treatise, explains about the pathology of Asthma in the chapter Svasa-HidmaNidana. Ayurveda says that the Vata, Pitta and Kapha are the three doshas or humors which maintain all the activities within a human being.In the case of Asthma and other similar breathing disorders, Vata dosha is being obstructed by Kapha dosha and obstructs the channels of respiration, water and food, leads to the condition of difficulty in breathing. The premonitory symptoms observed in Asthma are heart and flanks region pain and discomfort in the chest region.
“Institute of Applied Food Allergy® is using unique Ayurvedic treatment measures which have gained through Dr.Gupta’s hereditary knowledge sharing and self -experience for treating Asthma.”
–Allergist, Dr. Sahil Gupta
Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine & Surgery
Master’s in Health Administration
Symptoms of Asthma
A person suffering from Asthma may show the symptoms of
- Recurrent events of wheezing
- Shortness in breathing or dyspnea
- Discomfort or heaviness over chest region
- Stress and anxiety
- Sleep apnea and
Ayurvedic classics explaining Asthma as Tamakashvasahas recorded the symptoms as,
- Dyspnea along with pain in head and neck
- Cough associated with cracking sound
- Loss of taste
- Running nose
- Forceful bouts of respiration rarely associated with loss of consciousness
- Discomfort during lying position and comfort during sitting position
- Sweating over forehead and
- Rarely tremor
Ayurvedic treatment for Asthma
According to Ayurveda Asthma is caused due to the misbalance of Vata and Kapha dosha. Internal medications as well as external medications are used in the treatment of Asthma. The internal medications include single medicine therapy or therapy using combination of drugs.
Important plants used in the treatment of Asthma
- Vasa (Adathodavasica)
- Shunti (Zingiberofficinale)
- Kantakari (Solanumxanthocarpum)
Internal medications used in the treatment of Asthma
Ayurveda, as mentioned earlier uses the combination of external measures also in the treatment of Asthma such as
- Snehana (Oil application )
- Swedana (Sweating treatment)
- Panchakarma – Vamana (Emesis or vomiting therapy) and Virechana (Purgation therapy) are the two therapies used in the treatment of Asthma.
Diet and Regimen for Asthma
In general, avoiding heavy, cold and slimy food helps in controlling Asthma.
Asthma patients should avoid, (Don’ts)
- Cold and heavy food such as black gram, ice creams etc.
- Avoid usage of excessive sweet, sour and salty food substances
- Avoid the usage of fermented milk products
- Reduce the usage of non-vegetarian food. Deeply fried or stored or packed or processed non-vegetarian materials must be avoided completely.
Asthma patients can include (Do's),
- Red rice
- Green gram
- Goat milk can be used by Asthma patients
- Always use warm and cooked food
- Moderate usage of bitter, astringent and spicy taste helps in controlling Asthma
- Spices like Garlic, Black pepper, Turmeric, Cardamom, Cuminand Ginger can be used in daily food by an Asthmatic person.
Moderate breathing exercises can be performed by Asthma patients. Avoiding excessive exercise, exposure to smoke and dust helps in controlling Asthma. Clothing must be capable of protecting ears, throat and chest region while travelling.
Yoga in Asthma
- Dhanurasana and
- Baddha konasana can be practiced for getting relief from Asthma
Dr. Gupta's IAFA in managing Asthma
Years of experience and knowledge of IAFA led by Dr.Gupta have given successful results to thousands of Asthmatic cases. The unique as well as accurate diagnostic measuresincluding Nadi Pareeksha (Pulse Diagnosis) and easy to follow treatment method used in IAFA is standing unique in the magical healing process. Ayurveda is the only completely natural measure through which Asthma can be treated successfully. Enjoy the benefits of Ayurveda by visiting, Institute of Applied Food Allergy® which is completely based on pure Ayurveda.
Visit IAFA and treat your Asthma successfully!!!
Live life lively with a lively Lung- IAFA
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist