Indigestion in Children (Ajirna)
Indigestion in Children-Ajirna
Indigestion is a common digestive complaint seen in children. Indigestion usually occurs in the upper abdominal part of the child. It is caused when the child eats any unaccustomed or unfavourable food. This condition is also called dyspepsia. It is usuallymanifested as bloating, nausea, and burping. In children,this condition is often observed after intake of a meal. Usually it is not a matter of serious concern. The discomfort will be relieved within a few hours.In Ayurveda, indigestion is considered as one of the root causes for the occurrence of various other diseases. In children and adults it is an important condition that should be effectively managed. In Ayurveda, the term Ajirna is used to denote indigestion. Dr. Gupta’s IAFA is an esteemed institution that manages various digestive problems in children. Ayurpediatrics department in IAFA is specially designed for taking care of the health and comfort of children.
Causes of Indigestion in Children
Indigestion occurs when the stomach acid injures the innermost protective layer, called mucosa, of the digestive system. It results inirritation and inflammation of the upper abdominal area. Children mostly don’t have mucosal inflammation.But they may have increased mucosal sensitivity. Some of the common causes are:
- Some Medications: Medications having nitrate elements can cause heart burn in children. They may also result in relaxation of oesophageal sphincter. This leads toleakage of stomach acid and causes irritation of protective lining of the digestive system.
- Obesity: Obese children will have increased abdominal pressure. This can result in acid reflux to the oesophagus during each meal.
- Stomach Ulcer: In stomach ulcers, open sores develop in the stomach wall. This results in indigestion in children.
- Helicobacter Pylori Infection: It is theinfection of stomach with indigestion as the main symptom. This can lead to stomach ulcers and cancers in future.
- Stress: Mental stress and anxiety can make eating and sleeping in irregular pattern that can lead to indigestion.
The causes of Ajirna in children as mentioned in Ayurveda has included weakened agni (digestive fire), nature of food, combinations of different food, under developed digestive system in children etc.
Ayurveda reference of Indigestion in Children-Ajirna
Signs and Symptoms of Indigestion in Children
The symptoms of Ajirna as mentioned in Ayurveda are reduced physical activities, drowsiness, excessive salivation, dullness, lack of signs of good health etc.
- Major signs of indigestion are:
- Pain in the upper abdomen immediately after eating.
- Regular burping
- Passing of flatulence.
- Acid reflux
- Irregular and reduced eating habit
“Dr. Gupta’s IAFA provides the best available Ayurvedic treatment for various child illnesses. Indigestion is a simple but significant condition that is well managed in Institute of Applied Food Allergy®”.
IAFA welcomes you and your child to a world of health and happiness!!
-Allergist, Dr. Sahil Gupta
Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine & Surgery
Master’s in Health Administration
Diet in Indigestion in Children
Do’s (Pathya) in Indigestion in Children
- Ginger, lemon & honey
- Fruits like orange, apple, pear etc.
- Eating goose berry with honey
- Intake of fiber containing vegetables
- Always take warm food
- Light and easily digestible food
- Intake of lesser quantity of food
- Frequent intake of lukewarm water
- Green gram soup with pomegranate
- Food made of red rice
Don’ts (Apathya) in Indigestion in Children
- Junk food & baked food
- Fried food items
- Excess water &food intake
- Improperly cooked food
- Intake of food before digesting previous meal
- Drinking cold water
- Fried and bakery food
- Bottled soft drinks and artificial juices
- Intake of unfamiliar food items
- Mental stress of children
Yoga and Pranayama in Indigestion in Children
Practice of Yoga helps to improve digestive power and to strengthen abdominal muscles.Yoga postures will be helpful in dipping the mental stress and also to empower the digestive system
- Ananda Balasana
Pranayama is very effective in strengthening and controlling muscles of digestive system. It reduces stress and anxiety that plays a major role in decreasing incidence of stomach ulcers.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Indigestion in Children
Ayurveda has detailed protocol for the management of indigestion in children. It includes internal medicines, treatment procedures and use of single herbs.
Internal Medicines for Indigestion in Children
- Gandharvahasthadi Kashaya
- Chiruvilwadi Kashaya
- Bharngiadi Kashaya
Treatment Procedures for Indigestion in Children
- Abhyanga on abdomen (Oil massage)
- Swedana (sweating therapy)
Single Herbs in the Management of Indigestion in Children
- Ardraka (Zingiberofficinale)
- Chitraka (Plumbagozeylanica)
- Hareethaki (Termnaliachebula)
- Amalaki (Emblicaoffcinalis)
- Vilwa (Aeglemarmelos)
- Karanja (Pongamiapinnata)
- Patha (Cissampelospareira)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist