Suffering from allergies impairs a patient’s quality of life and productivity very badly. Till date, there is no curative treatment for these annoying allergies in mainstream systems of medicine. Therefore, it is the need of hour to present effective measures for the same through Ayurveda.
Allergy is caused due to an immediate hypersensitivity reaction to the nasal mucosa. It is a type of inflammation of the nasal mucosa which occurs when the immune system overreacts to the allergens. In modern medical science, allergies are generally managed by avoiding allergens, nasal saline irrigation, anti-histamines, corticosteroids, mast cell stabilizers etc. The vast experience of IAFA® proves that Food allergy treatment, urticaria treatment, allergic rhinitis treatment etc. can be dealt through Ayurvedic measures successfully. In Ayurveda, there is a unique concept of Virudh Ahara referred to in terms of food-food interactions, food processing interactions. Ayurveda clearly defines that certain diet and its combinations, which interrupts the metabolism of tissue, inhibits the formation of tissue and which have the opposite property to the tissue are called Viruddha Ahara or incompatible diet. It is known to be the cause of many systemic disorders as per Ayurvedic ancient workers such as it leads to inflammation at the molecular level which can manifest in the form of various types of allergies. This is a case study of a 34 -year female Indian patient of Allergy March with runny nose, itchy and watery eyes with Post Nasal Drip (PND), continuous sneezing, urticarial hives on lips and face, rashes all over the body and allergic response to multiple foods. She took online consultation from IAFA® on 24th August, 2021. She was clinically assessed and her condition was successfully managed with Ayurvedic internal as well as external procedures like Swaras Chikitsa etc. under the supervision of Dr. Gupta at IAFA®. Various conditions like Asatmya Aahara (unwholesome food), Viruddhahara (incompatible food), Dushavisha (a type of internal toxin) etc. are common etiological factors for various allergic conditions.
Keywords: Allergy March, Viruddh Ahara, Incompatible diet, Urticaria, Food Allergy, Allergic Rhinitis
The progression of allergic disorders is called the Allergic March. The progression starts with Atopic dermatitis, Allergic Rhinitis (Hay Fever) and Asthma. The inflammatory effect is an important effect as it is one of the basic pathologies that create Agni Mandya (low digestive fire), Amavisha (toxins), allergies etc. The urticaria treatment, allergic rhinitis treatment, and food intolerance treatment was done successfully on the concept of Allergic March by IAFA®.
Above sloka explains about food allergies:-
It explains the concept of virudha. Virudha or incompatibility refers to the condition in which doshas get vitiated in the body and cannot be expelled out from the body. This may occur when someone eats a mismatching combination of food items, having food at the wrong place, improper time, inappropriate amounts etc. Symptoms of Food Allergy are:
- Vomiting and stomach cramps
- Hives and angioedema
- Shortness of breath
- Wheezing sound in lungs
- Low blood pressure
- Shock or circulatory collapse
- Throat congestion; difficulty during swallowing
- Repetitive cough
- Swelling of the tongue, difficulty during talk
- Weak pulse
- Pale or blue coloring of skin (Cyanosis)
- Dizziness or feeling faint
- Anaphylaxis – a potentially life-threatening reaction
- Food Protein-Induced Enterocolitis Syndrome (FPIES) – a severe gastrointestinal reaction.
- Patient’s Name: Hana Meshram
- Age: 34 years
- Gender: Female
- Address: Thane (Mumbai)
- UID: 6428
- Date of Appointment: 24/08/2021
- Runny nose
- Itchy and watery eyes with Post Nasal Drip (PND)
- Continuous sneezing
- Urticarial hives on lips and face
- Rashes all over the body
- Allergic responses to multiple foods specifically protein, yeast and bakers.
- In childhood, the allergic progression started with Allergic Rhinitis.
- At the age of 21, she got massive rashes on the entire body.
- In 2015, after consuming wheat products, there was a massive swelling on the lips.
After proper evaluation, Dr. Gupta diagnosed it as a case of Allergic March and started treatment accordingly.
- Nasayoga Grutham
- IAFA 333 Oil
- IAFA Swaras Chikitsa: Aahar Amrutham Ras
- IAFA Durva Capsules
- Aam Visha Balance Tablets
Method of Usage/Dosage:
- Nasayoga Grutham: 2-4 drops to be instilled in bilateral nostrils and naval area twice in a day in early morning and at bed time.
- IAFA 333 Oil for local application: Apply 3-5 ml IAFA 333 oil over the dry and affected body part twice in a day and during allergic response.
- Aahar Amrutham Ras: 30 ml with water twice a day with equal amount of water before meals.
- IAFA Durva Capsules: 2 capsules once a day in the early morning.
- Aam Visha Balance Tablets: 1 tablet to be taken twice a day 1 hour after meals with water.
- Intake of light and easily digestible food was recommended to the patient.
- Small amounts of lukewarm water frequently instead of taking cold water.
- Fresh fruits like pomegranate, bael fruit and apples and green leafy vegetables.
- Fresh curd mixed with a pinch of black pepper in the midnoon only.
- Intake of herbs like fennel, cumin and curry leaves in the food for improving digestion.
- Milk and milk products.
- Intake of deep fried, spicy and sour food items.
- Non-vegetarian food
- Packaged food
- Fermented food
- Alcohol based cough syrups.
- Vegetables to be avoided: Eggplant, ladyfinger, capsicum, spinach, mushroom.
- Fruits to be avoided: Avocado, banana
- Nuts: All nuts including peanuts except walnuts, almonds, raisins, anjeer.
- Pranayama include,
Nadi-shodhana Pranayama leads to marked improvement in the lung functions by strengthening the respiratory muscles and decreasing the resistance to the air flow in the lungs.
Follow-Up and Outcome
The above-mentioned treatment plan was started on 24th August, 2021. Both oral medication and external procedure were administered to the patient. The primary focus of Dr. Gupta was to detoxify and rejuvenate the body and to prevent the autoimmune responses, auto-allergy and mast cell activation. The patient’s complaints started to reduce after 1 month of treatment.
Seeing improvement, Dr. Gupta advised the patient to continue the same line of treatment for another 1 month as well for the management of chronic allergies.
To prevent recurrences, avoidance of precipitating factors, complete management of underlying disease, the same treatment plan was followed for another next month under the supervision of Dr. Gupta.
The patient was very happy with the response he got from Ayurvedic internal as well as external procedures under the supervision of Dr. Gupta in a short duration of time. The treatment helped her in successful management of allergies and she is able to take almost all types of food. She is happy with the outcome and below is a Happy Note from her side:
“Truly appreciate the in-depth understanding of allergies and different ailments by doctors as well as the humanistic and realistic approach. Treatment plans are easy, effective and doable if you genuinely want good health. Follow up sessions are scheduled timely. Thank you so much.”
The quality of life of the patient has been considerably improved through Ayurvedic treatment provided by IAFA®. There was also a complete absence of adverse events reported during the course of treatment. From the above case study, it can be concluded that Ayurveda has an answer as well as solution for various types of allergies whose cause is unknown in modern medical science. This study also highlights the concept of Viruddha Ahara which is an important aspect of today’s improper dietary habits. This blog will open a new research window in the field of Ayurvedic dietetics as well.
Dr. Gupta is an Ayurvedic allergy specialist. He is a founder and CEO of IAFA®. He has guided a large number of patients all over the world and provided urticaria successful treatment, allergic rhinitis successful treatment, allergic rhinitis successful treatment etc. He is known for the Ayurvedic treatment of all types of allergies.