What is Angular Stomatitis?
Angular Stomatitis, also known as Angular Cheilitis, is an inflammatory condition that causes swollen, red, and scaly patches on the corners of the mouth and outside the lips. The condition may cause patches on either or both sides of the mouth and lips. This skin condition may either be chronic or last a few days at a stretch.
There are a number of reasons or causes behind this condition which shall be discussed here along with the symptoms of angular stomatitis and various Ayurvedic treatment measures that can help in treating this skin condition.
Causes of Angular Stomatitis
One of the most common and definitive reasons for Angular Stomatitis is the accumulation of saliva around the mouth. When this saliva dries out, it leaves the lips, and the angles of the lips dry, chappy, and scaly. This further leads to the development of cracks which urges one to lick the lips to soothe the dryness and cracks.
The cycle continues and the warmth and moisture around the lips provide the perfect conditions for the fungus to thrive and grow, which ultimately causes the infection. This fungal infection is usually caused by the yeast called Candida, which is also responsible for causing diaper rash in babies.
There are certainly other factors that contribute to the multiplying of this fungus, a few of them are:
- Frequent licking of lips
- If a person wears dentures that don’t fit well
- If one wears braces
- Crooked teeth
- Excessive saliva
- Thumb sucking
- Sagging lips because of weight loss or age factor
- Lack of nutrients in the body, especially Vitamin B or Iron
- Blood cancer
- Immune disorders
- Liver, Lung, Kidney, or Pancreatic Cancer
Symptoms of Angular Stomatitis
Common signs and symptoms of this skin condition include:
- Irritation around the mouth
- Soreness on the corners of the mouth
- Crusty and chapped lips
- Blisters on the angles of the lips
- Swollen sides of the lips
- Scales around the lips
- Cracks on and around the lips
- Painful and burning sensations
- Red and itchy skin around the mouth and lips
- Bad taste
Treatment of Angular Cheilitis
Ayurveda offers various treatment measures and organic practices that can help in healing Angular Stomatitis. The results are guaranteed and free from side effects. All it requires is a bit of patience, regularity, a few basic ingredients, and discipline to follow an Ayurvedic treatment.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Angular Stomatitis
A variety of home remedies with ingredients that are readily available at home can help a great deal in the ayurvedic treatment of Angular Stomatitis. These mostly include:
- Essential Oils: Essential oils like tea tree oil or lavender oil possess anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties that help in combating angular cheilitis by providing relief from itching and burning overnight. A combination of these two oils individually with coconut oil may be applied with a cotton ball over the affected area every 3-4 hours to avail of maximum benefit.
- Garlic: The compound allicin present in garlic exhibits anti-fungal properties that control the growth of fungus thereby curing the infection. The application of garlic paste helps in treating inflammation and burning caused by the condition.
- Baking Soda: The natural antiseptic properties of baking soda help in treating fungal infections. Baking soda paste may be made by combining soda with a small quantity of water and must be applied over the affected area for about 5 minutes, post which it must be washed and the area should be pat dried. The last step is the application of moisturizer over the infected skin.
- Honey: The antifungal and antibacterial properties of honey help in soothing the inflammation and cracks caused by angular stomatitis. Honey must be applied for about 15-20 minutes and then washed. This process must be repeated at least three times every day to obtain relief.
- Petroleum Jelly: Emollient activity of vaseline petroleum jelly helps in keeping the affected area moisturized and speeds up the healing process.
- Yogurt: Yogurt is a probiotic made up of living cultures that help in treating angular cheilitis both by its application and consumption. It keeps the skin moisturized and provides relief from cracks and dryness.
Apart from the above mentioned basic home remedies, a few other ingredients that possess antifungal, antibacterial, and antiseptic properties and contribute to the treatment of Angular Cheilitis are:
- Coconut Oil
- Aloe Vera Gel
- Jojoba Oil
- Neem Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Olive Oil
These home remedies can help you achieve instant and overnight relief from the burning sensations caused by Angular Stomatitis. In case you would want personal assistance for a permanent treatment, you may get in touch with us at IAFA®, where our Ayurvedic Healthcare experts provide the best of Ayurvedic and herbal treatments to cure various skin conditions and diseases naturally.