Diaper Rash (Gudakutta)
केचित्तं मातृकादोषं वदन्द्यन्ये तु पौतनम् l
पृष्ठारुगुदकुट्टं च केचिच्च तं अनामकम् ll
Diaper rash is a common skin problem affecting anyone, especially children, who wear diapers for long period of time. It is the condition where baby’s skin at buttocks and perianal area gets inflamed. It may be caused by various reasons from inadequate hygiene to intake of medicines. Ayurveda explains this condition as Gudakutta. Dr. Gupta’s IAFA offers effective treatment for Diaper rash through Ayurveda. IAFA is always concerned about your child’s health and is pioneering in management of various pediatric ailments including Diaper rash and other allergies.
Causes of Diaper rash
Main reasons for Diaper rash are pointed below:
- Wearing same diaper for long period of time
- Irritation from feces and urine
- Rubbing over diaper causing friction with skin
- Tight and mismatched diapers
- Allergic response to baby wipes, lotions, creams etc.
- Diarrhea in baby
- Increased skin sensitivity of baby
- Intake of antibiotics
Ayurveda explains reasons for occurrence of Diaper rash as continuous contact of skin with fecal matter or sweat.
Ayurvedic Reference of Diaper Rash-Gudakutta
Symptoms of Diaper rash
Characteristic features of Diaper rash are:
- Red, tender skin in the region of contact with diaper— buttocks, thighs and genitals.
- Baby becomes uncomfortable, especially during diaper changes.
- Baby usually cries during cleaning and washing of diaper area
Symptoms of Diaper rash as explained by Ayurveda include reddish ulcers with itching and other discomforts that make the child uncomfortable.
Types of Diaper rash
Following are the different types of Diaper rash
- Irritant Diaper rash: It is the most common type of Diaper rash. It is caused by continuous contact of skin with the irritants – urine and stool.
- Yeast infection: It is also a common type of diaper rash that is caused by overgrowth of a fungus which is naturally seen in the digestive tract. In yeast infection the rashes are shiny, bright red colored with clear margins. In severe cases, there may be bleeding from rashes and is worse in the groin folds.
- Bacterial Diaper rash: It is a rare type of Diaper rash. Some bacteria may cause diaper rash or worsen an already formed rash. Features of rash depend on type of bacteria affected.
- Allergic Diaper rash: Some babies having sensitive skin react to any particular ingredients like dyes, perfumes, preservatives etc. in diapers, lotions, or wipes.
“Dr. Gupta’s IAFA offers effective treatment for Diaper rash through Ayurveda. IAFA is always concerned about your child’s health and is pioneering in management of various pediatric ailments including Diaper rash and other allergies. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® is the absolute destination for ensuring your and your child’s health”.
For completely natural care and cure to your child reach IAFA!!!
-Allergist, Dr. Sahil Gupta
Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine & Surgery
Master’s in Health Administration
Diet in Diaper rash
- Reduce use of diapers
- Use of cotton nappies
- Change diaper once it is contaminated with feces or urine
- Keep diaper area always clean and dry
- If required use only mild soap or shampoo for cleaning
- Regular bath
- Wipe out excess sweat
- Mother can drink lukewarm water
- Mother’s food should be light and non-irritant
- Bitter guard
- Continuous and prolonged use of diaper
- Rubbing over diaper area
- Use of strong scented, flavored wipes and lotions.
- Improper cleaning of anus
- Repeated use of allergic baby products
- Intake of heavy and irritant food by mother
- Intake of heavy food during indigestion
- Intake of excess of spicy, sour and salty food by mother.
Yoga and Pranayama for Diaper Rash
Diaper rash in children is greatly related with food and regimen of mother. As breast milk is the main source of nutrition in babies, mother should have good digestive power. Many yoga postures promote proper functioning of digestive system. Some of them are:
- Ardha matsyendrasana
These can be practiced by mother depending on physical condition.
Pranayama includes various breathing techniques that help to stimulate nervous system and aids in proper digestion. It helps to relax the mind to a great extend as well.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Diaper rash
Ayurvedic management of Diaper rash includes internal and external medicines to mother as well as to child. As vitiated breast milk can irritate baby’s stomach and result in diaper rash, mother should also be given adequate treatment.
Internal Medicines (For Mother)
- Nimbadi Kashaya
- Tikthaka Kashaya
- Trayanthyadi Kashaya
- Guluchyadi Kashaya
- Kaisoraguggulu Gulika
- Triphalaguggulu Gulika
- Guggulu panchapala Churna
External Medicines (For Child)
- Triphala Kwatha
- Chandana Kwatha
- Yashti Triphala Kwatha
- Aragwadhadi Kwatha
- Ksheerivruksha Kwatha
Treatment Procedures (For Child)
- Kshalana (Washing of ulcer)
- Dhara (Pouring medicated water over rash)
- Lepana (Medicinal paste application)
- Jalukavacharana (Leech therapy)
Single Herbs in Diaper Rash
- Yashti madhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Chandana (Santalum alba)
- Badara (Ziziphus jujube)
- Plaksha (Ficus microcarpa)
- Sariva (Hemidesmus indica)
- Asana (Pterocarpus marsupium)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist