Skin is the first line of defence for the body. It is the largest organ of our body and functions as a protective barrier.
Cause of Skin Allergies – According to Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda’s perspective, most of the skin allergies are caused due to the disrupted toxins in the blood tissue which together with plasma nourishes the skin.
Skin diseases can be caused due to the imbalance in either of the three doshas Vata, Pitta or Kapha.
Ayurvedic medicines for skin allergies treat the root cause of the problem and these contain herbs as the ingredients. As these medicines have no side effects, patients are looking for alternative treatment for skin allergies. Besides home remedies, Ayurveda offers various herbal remedies for skin allergies.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Skin Allergies
1. Neem (Azadirachta indica)
- Neem leaves are considered as an excellent remedy for skin problems as Neem leaves are a great source anti-inflammatory compounds such as nimbin, quercetin and mimbidin. They are anti-microbial and anti-fungal in nature. Besides this, they are also a source of Vitamin C.
- Therefore, the oil of Neem leaves can be applied over the affected areas.
- Neem powder can be applied as a face mask for a detoxing skin allergy treatment at home.
- The freshly extracted juice of Neem leaves can be taken internally as a natural remedy that can heal the skin from inside out by treating the allergies.
2. Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Turmeric is highly beneficial in skin allergies due to its anti-inflammatory property.
- It has a strong clarifying and detoxifying effect.
- It acts as a detoxifying agent and cleanses blood, liver and skin.
- Make Turmeric paste and use it topically in the form of masks.
3. Manjishtha (Rubia cordifolia)
- Manjishtha is extremely beneficial for skin allergies as it is a cooling herb that cleanses the blood and supports healthy skin.
- The powder of Manjishtha powder can be mixed with neem powder and can be applied as a mask to soothe skin allergies.
- Few drops of lavender oil and tea tree oil can also be added to the mask for glowing skin.
- For internal use, mix both Neem and Manjishtha powders and take ½ tsp. of the herbal powder with warm water thrice a day after meals.
4. Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Giloy is known as ‘Amrita’ or “Nectar’ in Ayurveda. It is a wonderful herb that balances all the three doshas in the body.
- Giloy helps in fighting infections effectively.
- This herb is helpful in improving digestion as well.
- The fresh juice of Giloy can be combined with the juices of aloe vera, neem and amla and can be taken internally as a natural treatment for skin allergies.
5. Coconut Oil
- Coconut oil is generally used as a base oil in Ayurvedic medicines for skin allergies.
- It is quite effective in managing skin inflammation and itching as it acts as a natural moisturizer.
- It protects the skin and helps to prevent it from drying.
- Apply coconut oil on the affected area twice or thrice a day.
6. Sandalwood Paste
- Sandalwood or Chandan is prized in Ayurveda as an excellent beauty ingredient.
- Sandalwood in the form of paste or its essential oil can be used for skin conditions.
7. Carom Seeds
For itching, take about half a teaspoon of carom seeds (Ajwain) with jaggery thrice in a day for good results.
8. Mint Leaves
Take 7 gm of fresh mint leaves in 175 ml of water and boil this for about 5-10 minutes. Strain and drink this water for immediate results.
9. Khadira (Acacia catechu)
- Khadira is a very famous skin benefitting Ayurvedic herb. The hindi name of this herb is khair. If skin allergy is developed due to excessive heat, then Khadira herb can be used to balance Pitta dosha.
- For inflammation or itching, make a paste of Khadira’s leaves and apply on the affected part of the skin. It will provide great relief from the problem.
10. Licorice (Glycrrhiza glabra)
- It is commonly known as Mulethi.
- Licorice, if applied on face, helps in improving complexion, useful in acne, blemishes, white heads, black heads etc.
- Make a paste of fine powder of Licorice with water and apply it on the face and leave it for 5-15 minutes and then wash the face with water.
Skin Allergy treatment in Ayurveda is effective, safe and free from any side effects.