Khadira (Acacia catechu)
Khadira is one of the most commonly used herb in Ayurveda treatment procedure. It is commonly known as Cutch tree. The name Khadira itself means that the plant brings stability to the body by alleviating diseases. The word Acacia indicates the gum yielding property of the plant and catechu derived from the Kannada word Kachu. The plant grows abundantly in India and have many medicinal properties.
Dr.Gupta’s instituteof Applied Food Allergy have been studying on readily available herbs for the purpose of alleviating allergic condition. Our experts studied on Khadira and proven the Astringent, Cooling, Digestant, Haemostatic, Antiallergic and anti-inflammatory actions of the herb. Khadira can be used to treat diseases like Skin allergic conditions, Itching, Cough, Diabetes, Worm infestations etc. The plant contains constituents like baicalin and catechins which are responsible for the anti-inflammatory actions of the plant. The heartwood extracts of the plant have antitumor activities. Our experts also proven that catechin rich extracts of Khadira can be helpful to cure adenocarcinoma conditions.
Action of Khadira – Acacia catechu in Allergies
IAFA experts have successfully proven the anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and antiallergic property of the plant Khadira. The plant contains phytoconstituents like acacatechin, quercitin, gum quercitin etc and these phytoconstituents aids the antiallergic property of Khadira. Catechin present in the plant have excellent anti-inflammatory property. The decoction prepared from the bark of the plant can be used to treat skin allergic conditions.
Vernacular names and Classification
|Botanical Name||Acacia catechu|
|Sanskrit Name||Khadira,Baalapathra, Bahusalya|
|English Name||Cutch tree|
Ayurveda reference of Khadira – Acacia catechu
Morphology of Khadira – Acacia catechu
- Moderate sized tree
- Bark is dark colored, rough
- Leaves are compound type
- Leaflets are 30~50 pairs
- Inflorescence is long axillary spikes
- Fruits are pods
- Flowers are pale yellow
Geographical distribution of Khadira – Acacia catechu
Seen all over India especially in South Indian states.
Phytoconstituents of Khadira – Acacia catechu
The plant contains phytoconstituents like 10% of acacatechin, quercitin, gum quercitin etc.
Parts used of Khadira – Acacia catechu
Dosage of Khadira – Acacia catechu
- Decoction (Kwatha) -40-60 ml.
Medicinal Properties of Khadira – Acacia catechu
- Kasa hara – relieves cough
- Kushtaghna-Alleviates skin disorders
- Sophahara – relieves swelling
- Kandughna-relieves itching
- Ruchya – relieves anorexia
- Agnivardhaka- improves digestion
- Vrsya – aphrodisiac
- Balya – promote strength
Home remedies of Khadira – Acacia catechu
Ayurveda is atreatment system which is focused on lifestyle modifications along with medicines, in treating diseases. The treatment system adopted by Ayurveda is purely based on naturally available herbs. Khadira is one of the commonly growing plant and due to its high medicinal value it is used in treating many diseases like,
- In Skin diseases (Kushta) – The patient who is suffering from skin disorders should use Khadira for drinking and bathing. Daily usage of Khadira destroys Kushta.
- In Vitiligo (Swithra) – Decoction prepared from the heartwood of Khadira can alleviate Vitiligo.
- In Cough (Kasa) – The powder of heartwood of Khadira is mixed with wine or curd water and taken internally.
- In Itching (Kandu) – bathing in decoction prepared from the heartwood of Khadira can alleviate itching.
- In Gum disease (Dantaroga) – Using the stick of Khadira for brushing can alleviate dental disorders .
- In Diabetes (Prameha) – Decoction prepared from Khadira and Gooseberry is taken at a dose of 60ml per day for a period of 7 days.
- In Fever (Jwara) –Decoction prepared from root Khadira and Tulsi is taken orally at a dose of 60ml.
- In Inflammation (Sotha) –Intake of Decoction prepared from Khadira can relieve inflammation.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist