The allergy of the skin is defined as the hypersensitive reaction to certain substances such as food, drugs or environmental irritants such as pollen, dust or conditions such as temperature. The immune system of the body responds to these antigens by giving rise to the reaction in the body by releasing histamines and other chemicals on the surface of the skin. The release of chemicals causes inflammation of the skin. A skin allergy encompasses a number of allergic conditions such as atopic dermatitis, urticaria, contact dermatitis etc.
What are the Symptoms of Skin Allergy?
Common Signs and Symptoms of Skin Allergy include:
- Red rash
- Dry, cracked or scaly skin
- Itching which may be severe
- Swelling, burning or tenderness
- Bumps and blisters with oozing and crusting
According to Ayurveda, skin allergies are caused due to the toxins that are generated by imbalances in the blood, lungs and liver. From the Ayurvedic perspective, toxins that cause skin allergy arise from the imbalances caused in Rakta dhatu (blood tissue) and rasa dhatu (plasma) that nourish the skin.
The causes of toxins in rakta and rasa dhatu are taking too much foods that are hot in nature, consumption of alcohol, intense sun exposure, experiencing intense negative emotions etc. All these conditions aggravate Pitta dosha. It is not surprising that Pitta dosha individuals experience more skin allergies than vata or kapha types people. It is because pitta tends to overheat the blood. When rasa and rakta dhatus are balanced, the skin is smooth, soft, glowing and free of allergies.
How Ayurveda Treats Skin Allergy?
Skin Allergy treatment in Ayurveda focuses on Ayurvedic treatment for skin allergy is to purify the blood. Since the blood is purified by lungs and liver, supporting and cleansing these organs can have a dramatic effect on the skin.
Natural remedies for skin allergy which are taken internally, are primarily cooling in nature and have bitter and astringent tastes.
5 Ways to Treat Your Skin Allergy Naturally
1. Aloe vera (Aloe barbadensis):
Aloe vera is one of the most powerful remedies for skin allergy as it is useful in itching, inflammation, and redness of the skin. Fresh aloe vera gel consists of anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties soothe the skin. Extract the gel from aloe vera leaves and apply it on the affected area and wash it off with plain water after half an hour. Repeat this procedure 3-4 times a day for good results.
2. Neem (Azadirachta indica):
- Neem is considered as the best remedy for all kinds of skin allergies.
- The neem leaves contain the anti-inflammatory compounds nimbidin, nimbin and quercetin. The leaves are also a source of Vitamin C along with anti-bacterial and antifungal properties.
- Neem oil can be used for massaging the affected area or make a fine paste of fresh neem leaves and apply this paste twice a day on the affected area.
- Neem leaves can also be taken internally as a natural remedy for skin allergy. The leaves can heal the skin from the inside out.
3. Turmeric (Curcuma longa):
- Turmeric is considered as one of the best anti-inflammatory herbs. It has antimicrobial, analgesic, anti-oxidant properties making it suitable for the treatment of skin allergy.
- It has strong detoxifying properties as well. It has potent healing effects on liver, blood and skin.
- For skin allergy, turmeric can be topically used in the form of masks.
4. Sariva (Hemidesmus indicus):
- Take 30 gm of Sariva and boil it in 1 liter of water till it reduces to 1/5th to prepare a decoction.
- Filter and drink 50 ml of this decoction twice daily.
5. Diet and Lifestyle:
- Drinking lots of water is also one of the natural remedies for skin allergies as it helps in detoxification.
- Avoid the intake of wrong food combinations in diet such as taking fruits with milk, taking fish with milk etc.
- Intake of spicy and sour food items should be avoided.
- Excess intake of tea, coffee and alcohol should be avoided.
- Make sure that bowel movements are regular.
- Avoid foods that are difficult to digest.
- Increase the intake of bitter foods in the diet.
- Avoid the use of chemical based lotions.
Alternative treatment for skin allergies is safe, effective and free from side effects.