Eczema in Children
सकण्डूपिडकाश्यावालसीकढ्याविचर्च्चिका l (अ.हृ.नि. १४/१७)
Eczema in Children
Eczema, otherwise called atopic dermatitis, is a progressive skin disease.It causes dryness, redness and itching of skin. Skin of children having eczema will be more sensitive than normal people. About 1 in 10 children are affected with eczema. In Ayurveda, the symptoms seen in eczema are clearly explained as Vicharchika. Dr. Gupta’s IAFA is keenly focussed in providing ultimate care for various infections and allergies. IAFA is the prime Ayurvedic institute that offers the finest treatment especially for children through its Ayurpediatric department.
Causes of Ec zema
Eczema is caused by defectsin the skin tissue. Most children having eczema,lack a special protein called filaggrin in their outer skin layer. Filaggrin protects skin by acting as a strong barrier between the body and external environment. Skin deficient in filaggrinwill experience difficulty in holding water and fails to prevent bacteria and other environmental irritants.
Other factors leading to eczema includes:
- Genetic factors
- Environment factors
- Associated with other allergic conditions such as asthma and allergic rhinitis
- Can be associated withfood allergies
Ayurvedic reference of Eczema in Children
Symptoms of Eczema
The symptoms of eczema will be different in different individuals. It may affect different areas of the body at different times.
Important and common symptoms include:
- Itching ranging from mild to moderate
- Inflammation of skin
- Bleeding on scratch
- Sensitive and dry skin
- Skin discoloration
- Scaly patches of skin
- Rough and leathery skin
“Dr. Gupta’s IAFA is keenly focussed in providing ultimate care for various infections and allergies. IAFA is the prime Ayurvedic institute that offers the finest treatment especially for children through its Ayurpediatric department”.
Opt IAFA to lead a healthier life !!!
-Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)
Ayurvedic Allergy Specialist
CEO & Founder of IAFAⓇ
Diet in Eczema in Children
Do’s (Pathya) for Eczema in Children
- Maintain personal and environmental hygiene
- Identify allergen and avoid exposure to it.
- Adequate sleep
- Drink enough quantity of water
- Easily digestible food
- Vegetarian diet with less oil
- Include fruits and vegetables in diet
Don’ts (Apathya) of Eczema in Children
- Fastfood items
- Bakery food
- Red chilly
- Oily food
- Ajinomoto containing food
- Chemical-based lotion
- Day sleep
- Use of medicines without doctor’s prescription.
Yoga and Pranayama for Eczema in Children
Yoga asanas (postures) help to strengthen body as well as mind. Following asanas (postures) will be beneficial in strengthening body’s immune system.
- Surya namaskar
Pranayama helps to retain the pathway of body channels and to clean them. This aids in nourishment of body cells and to heal them.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Eczema in Children
Eczema can be treated effectively through Ayurveda. It also focuses on preventing recurrence of allergic reactions.
Internal Medicines for Eczema in Children
- Padoladi Kashaya
- Guluchyadi kashaya
- Manjishtadi Kashaya
- Panchatiktaka Kashaya
- Aragwadhadi Kashaya
- Gandhaka rasayana
- Manibhadra gula
- Kaisoraguggulu gulika
- Avipathy churna
External Medicines for Eczema in Children
- Aragwadadi Kashaya
- Rasottamadi lepa
- Eladi gana churna
- Guluchyadi kashaya
- Nimbadi churna
- Triphala churna
Treatment Procedures for Eczema in Children
- Vamana (Emesis)
- Virechana (Purgation)
- Kashaya Dhara (Pouring medicated liquid)
- Raktamoksha (Blood-letting)
Single drugs for the Management of Eczema in Children
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Nimba (Azadirachta indica)
- Padmaka (Prunus cerasoides)
- Sirisha (Albizia lebbeck)
- Khadira (Acacia catechu)
- Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum)
- Aragwadha (Cassia fistula)
- Kumari (Aloe vera)
- Ram Narayan Sharma, Ayurved Sarsangrah published by Shree Baidyanath Ayurved Bhawan, Kolkata, Ras Rasayan Prakaran, Reprint – 2008, p.291.
- Kaviraj Ambikdutta Shastri Sushruta. Sushruta Samhita, edited with Ayurveda – Tattava – Sandipika Hindi commentary, Vol – 1, Chaukhambha Sanskrit Sansthan, Varanasi, Reprint – 2014, Nidan Sthan, Su.Ni. 5/5 p. 320.
- Siddhi Nandan Mishra. Bhaishjya Ratnavali Hindi Commentary. Varanasi; Chaukhambha Sanskrit Bharti Prakashan; 2012. P. 497.
- Child Health and Ayurveda, Edition 2021, by Sahil Gupta, Eczema in Children, Chapter No. 24, Page No. 103-107.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)