Developmental milestones (Samskara)
Developmental milestones - Samskara
Having a new born in the family will be the most exciting and enthusiastic time. Observing a baby’s growth is really a curious and overwhelming experience. The touch, cuddling, sweet chatters, loving looks, smiles etc. of parents, siblings and other family members supports the emotional and social development of the child. The child is always keen to observe everything around and tries to explore the new world. Here comes the importance of understanding the major developmental milestones of children. Though, there will be variations between each child, the basic knowledge about this helps the parents to analyse childhood and also to enjoy their parenthood. Ayurveda also explains about the various developmental stages of children collectively called as Samskara (ceremonies).Dr.Gupta’s IAFAis aimingto make the parents aware about the steps in the physical, mental, emotional and social development of their child. IAFA is introducing Ayurpediatrics department for ensuring the overall wellbeing of children.
Ayurvedic Reference of Developmental milestones-Samskara
Major Milestones in the Development of Children
The stages of development in children are divided into 4 major categories based on area of development. They are:
- Gross Motor Development
- Fine Motor Development
- Language Development
- Personal and Social Development
1. Gross Motor Development
It refers to the overall physical response of the baby to the surroundings. Following are the important gross motor developments acquired by children and its corresponding age.
- Neck holding- 3 months
- Sitting with support -5 months
- Sitting without support – 8 months
- Walking with support – 10 months
- Crawling-11 months
- Standing without support-12 months
- Walking without support-13 months
Ayurveda explainsUpavesanaSamskara (Sitting ceremony) at six months of age. Here baby is suggested to be seated without support to observe growth and activities. Baby should not be seated continuously for more than 48 minutes.
2. Fine Motor Development
This refers to the fine movements of child including grasping, holding etc.
- Grasps a rattle or ring when placed in hand – 4 months
- Holds objects with both hands- 5 months
- Holding objects with crude grasp from palm – 7 months
- Holding small objects between index fingerand thumb – 9 months
It includes development in communication of the baby.
- Turns head to sound- 1 months
- Single letters – 6 months
- Two letters – 9 months
- 2 words with meaning – 1 year
- Simple sentence – 3 years
- Telling a story – 3 years
4. Personal and Social Milestone
This category includes interaction of baby with the surroundings.
- Social smile – 2 months
- Recognizing mother- 3 months
- Smiles at mirror image- 6 months
- Waves – bye bye- 9 months
- Plays a simple ball game – 1 year
In Ayurveda, NishkramanaSamskara (outing ceremony) is advised during fourth month. This is meant to acclimatize baby to the external environment. This helps to improve the personal and social development of child.
“Dr.Gupta’s IAFA is aiming to make the parents aware about the steps in the physical, mental, emotional and social development of their child. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® is introducing Ayurpediatrics department for ensuring the overall wellbeing of children.
Make IAFA the finest destination for ensuring your Family Health!!!
-Allergist, Dr. Sahil Gupta
Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine & Surgery
Master’s in Health Administration
Steps to Promote Baby’s Development
Following things can be practised in order to enhance and ensure growth and development in children.
- Engage in small chattering, cuddling and sweet talks with baby.
- Play small and appropriate games
- Give simple and colourful toys
- Read out stories and poems to babies
- Sing or play music
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist