Crohn’s Disease (Grahani)
The inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is an idiopathic disease involving an immune reaction of the body to its own intestinal tract. IBD comprised of 2 major disorders which includes Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. They are most often diagnosed in adolescence and young adulthood, with a rising incidence in pediatric populations. Although children can present with the classic symptoms of weight loss, abdominal pain, and bloody diarrhea, many present with nonclassic symptoms of isolated poor growth, anemia, or other extra intestinal manifestations.
According to Ayurveda, Crohn’s can be compared to ‘Grahani’ disease. In Ayurveda Grahani is actually an anatomical term to describe small intestines (specifically Ileum and jejunum). Any vitiation or inflammation to this particular part by imbalanced Doshas (Vata, Pitta, and Kapha) can cause a wide variety of symptom similar to that of Crohn’s disease, anywhere across the digestive system. Degree and nature of symptoms may vary as per the doshic predominance & involvement.
Dr.Gupta’s IAFA has a separate pediatric wing which provides management for all ailments related to children. We have specialized care in the fields of physical, emotional and behavioral needs of children.
Causes of Crohn’s Disease
Inflammatory bowel disease is caused by a dysregulated mucosal immune response to the intestinal micro flora in genetically predisposed hosts.
Ayurvedic references of Crohn’s Disease-Grahani
Symptoms of Crohn’s Disease
The following are the most common symptoms for ulcerative colitis. However, symptoms differ in each child. They include,
Common symptoms of Crohn’s disease are
- Abdominal pain,
- Weight loss
- Poor appetite
- Night sweats
- rectal pain
- Rectal bleeding.
Extra intestinal manifestations include,
- Erythema nodosum
- Pyoderma gangrenosum
- Growth failure
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Venous thromboembolism
“At Dr.Gupta’sIAFA we are providing very effective treatment for Crohn’s disease in children based on the classical principle of Ayurveda and our research. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® is committed towards providing the outstanding service for all the health problems of your children through Ayurveda”.
Changing Medicine, Changing Lives!!!Dr.Gupta’sIAFA for your child’s future
-Allergist, Dr. Sahil Gupta
Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine & Surgery
Master’s in Health Administration
Diet in Crohn’s Disease
Do’s (Pathya) in Crohn’s Disease
- Physician can provide a more individualized nutritional plan.
- Old basmati rice (>3 months), barley, moong dal, urad dal, saffron, coriander, cumin, fennel, navy beans, kidney beans, green lentils.
- Cow’s milk and butter, goat’s milk and butter.
- Almonds, water chestnut, pomegranate, banana, mango, limes, and kiwi fruit
- Takra(Buttermilk)Masur(Red Lentils),Tuvara(Pigeon pea) , Mudga(Green gram),Tila(Sesame seeds) , Makshika(Honey)
Don’ts (Apathya) in Crohn’s Disease
- All leftovers
- Spicy foods
- White sugar, wheat, pasta, red grapes, vinegar, mustard, salty and acidic foods should be avoided.
- Draksha, Gomutra, Dugdha, Guda, Gomutra, viruddha Bhojana
Yoga Therapy for Crohn’s Disease
Specific Asanas (Yoga), Pranayama, meditation, deep relaxation techniques, helps to arrest the progression of the disease.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Crohn’s Disease
Treatment is focused at Deepana of Agni (Stimulation of appetite). Oushadhas with properties like (Formulations that can directly digest ama) Grahi (Digestive and retain food-formulations are useful in diarrhoea and lack of appetite) .Vrana ropana (Healing of ulcers, Drugs and formulations with wound healing properties) Stambhana (Formulations that stop movement or elimination. When there is bloody diarrhoea with normal appetite.)
Internal Medicines for Crohn’s Disease
- Chiruvilwadi Kashaya
- Kaidaryadi Kashaya
- Dadimastaka churna
- Mahatiktakam Kashaya
- Dadimadi ghrtam
- Mahatiktakam ghrtam
Purificatory Therapies for Crohn’s Disease
- Mrudu virechana (Mild Purgation) aiming on Vathanulomana (helping in Vatha to move in normal route)
- Vasthi (Medicated enema) – If lower gastro-intestinal tract is the affected part, Vasthi is the most useful procedure. Vasthi with suitable medication will treat the ulceration of the bowel and enhance healing and subside inflammation and irritability of colon.
- Anuvasana vasthi (medicated oil enema) and Picha vasthi (special vasthi preparation containing mocha rasa ie, gum of Bombax malabaricum) are the common varieties of vasthi.
- In the initial stages of disease, if only symptoms of Grahani present and no ulcerations developed then if the ama accumulated in amashaya the physician will do vamana karma (Induced Emesis); if ama is in pakwasaya, virechana karma. And residual morbid matters in the intestine is removed through sneha sweda poorva asthapana vasthi (abhyanga and swedana followed by medicated decoction enema) followed by anuvasana vasthi(medicated oil enema
Single herbs used in for Crohn’s Disease
- Indrayava (Holarrhena antidysenterica)
- Ativisha (Aconitum heterophyllum)
- Patha (Cissampelos pareita)
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Musta (Cyperus rotundus)
- Bilva (Aegle marmelos)
- Rakta Chandana (Pterocarpus santalinus)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist