Crohn's Disease (Grahani)
Ayurvedic Treatment of Crohn's Disease - Causes, Symptoms
Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is an idiopathic disease involving an immune reaction of the body to its own intestinal tract. IBD is comprised of 2 major disorders which include Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. They are most often diagnosed in adolescence and young adulthood, with a rising incidence in pediatric populations. Although children can present with the classic symptoms of weight loss, abdominal pain, and bloody diarrhea, many presents with nonclassic symptoms of isolated poor growth, anemia, or other extraintestinal manifestations.
According to Ayurveda, Crohn’s can be compared to ‘Grahani’ disease. In Ayurveda, Grahani is actually an anatomical term to describe small intestines (specifically Ileum and jejunum). Any vitiation or inflammation to this particular part by imbalanced Doshas (Vata, Pitta, and Kapha) can cause a wide variety of symptoms similar to that of Crohn’s disease, anywhere across the digestive system. The degree and nature of symptoms may vary as per the doshic predominance & involvement.
Dr. Gupta’s IAFA has a separate pediatric wing that provides skillful management for all ailments related to children and produces safe and effective herbal remedies that are very useful in the ayurvedic treatment of Crohn’s disease. We have specialized care in the fields of physical, emotional, and behavioral needs of children.
Causes of Crohn’s Disease
Inflammatory bowel disease is caused by a dysregulated mucosal immune response to the intestinal microflora in genetically predisposed hosts.
Ayurvedic References of Crohn’s Disease (Grahani)
Symptoms of Crohn’s Disease
Common symptoms of Crohn’s disease are:-
- Abdominal pain
- Weight loss
- Poor appetite
- Night sweats
- rectal pain
- Rectal bleeding
Extra intestinal manifestations include:-
- Erythema nodosum
- Pyoderma gangrenosum
- Growth failure
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Venous thromboembolism
“At Dr. Gupta’s IAFA we are providing very effective treatment for Crohn’s disease in children based on the classical principle of Ayurveda and our research. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® is committed towards providing the outstanding service for all the health problems of your children through Ayurveda”.
Changing Medicine, Changing Lives!!! Dr. Gupta’s IAFA for your child’s future.
– Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)
Ayurvedic Allergy Specialist
CEO & Founder of IAFA®
Diet in Crohn’s Disease
Do’s (Pathya) in Crohn’s Disease
- A physician can provide a more individualized nutritional plan.
- Old basmati rice (>3 months), barley, moong dal, urad dal, saffron, coriander, cumin, fennel, navy beans, kidney beans, green lentils.
- Cow’s milk and butter, goat’s milk and butter.
- Almonds, water chestnut, pomegranate, banana, mango, limes, and kiwi fruit.
- Takara (Buttermilk), Masur (Red Lentils), Tuvara (Pigeon pea), Mudga (Green gram), Tila (Sesame seeds), Makshika (Honey).
Don’ts (Apathya) in Crohn’s Disease
- All leftovers
- Spicy foods
- White sugar, wheat, pasta, red grapes, vinegar, mustard, salty and acidic foods should be avoided.
- Draksha, Gomutra, Dugdha, Guda, Gomutra, viruddha Bhojana
Yoga Therapy for Crohn’s Disease
Specific Asanas (Yoga), Pranayama, meditation, deep relaxation techniques, help to arrest the progression of the disease.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Crohn’s Disease
Ayurvedic Treatment for Crohn’s Disease is focused at Deepana of Agni (Stimulation of appetite). Oushadhas with properties like Pachana (Formulations that can directly digest ama), Grahi (Digestive and retain food-formulations are useful in diarrhea and lack of appetite), Vrana ropana (Healing of ulcers, Drugs, and formulations with wound healing properties), Stambhana (Formulations that stop movement or elimination, when there is bloody diarrhea with normal appetite).
Internal Medicines for Crohn’s Disease
- Chiruvilwadi Kashayam
- Kaidaryadi Kashayam
- Dadimashtaka Churna
- Mahatiktakam Kashayam
- Dadimadi Ghrita
- Mahatiktakam Ghritam
Purificatory Therapies for Crohn’s Disease
- Mrudu virechana (Mild Purgation) aiming at Vata anulomana (helping in Vata to move in normal route)
- Vasthi (Medicated enema) – If the lower gastrointestinal tract is the affected part, Vasthi is the most useful procedure. Vasthi with suitable medication will treat the ulceration of the bowel and enhance healing and subside inflammation and irritability of the colon.
- Anuvasana vasthi (medicated oil enema) and Picha vasthi (special vasthi preparation containing mocha rasa ie, gum of Bombax malabaricum) are the common varieties of vasthi.
- In the initial stages of the disease, if only symptoms of Grahani present and no ulcerations developed then if the ama accumulated in amashaya the physician will do vamana karma (Induced Emesis), if ama is in pakwasaya, virechana karma and residual morbid matters in the intestine is removed through sneha sweda poorva asthapana vasthi (abhyanga and swedana followed by medicated decoction enema) followed by anuvasana vasthi (medicated oil enema).
Single Herbs for Crohn’s Disease
- Indrayava (Holarrhena antidysenterica)
- Ativisha (Aconitum heterophyllum)
- Patha (Cissampelos pareira)
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Musta (Cyperus rotundus)
- Bilva (Aegle marmelos)
- Rakta Chandana (Pterocarpus santalinus)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)