What is Coronary Artery Disease?
Coronary Artery Disease is the most commonly occurring heart disease and is the most common cause of premature death in developing and developed countries. This condition occurs due to blockage in the blood vessels which can cause clots later on.
What are the Causes of Coronary Artery Disease?
The main causes of CAD can be the accumulation of plaques and inflammation of the arteries. Pilling of plaques due to excess bad cholesterol can cause the narrowing of blood vessels resulting in the reduced blood supply to the heart which can be the main reason behind coronary artery disease.
What are the Symptoms of Coronary Artery Disease?
The following can be the alarming symptoms of CAD and the patient has to hurry up to the hospital without any delay.
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Shortness of breath
- Pain in the arms or shoulders
- Feeling lethargic
- Nausea and vomiting
- Stomach discomfort
- Heart palpitations
- Excessive sweating
- Dry mouth
Coronary Artery Disease – According to Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda, hridya (heart) is the seat of annarasa (nutrient fluid or essence as a result of digestion of food), rakta (blood), ojas (immunity), manas (mind), buddhi (intellect), and atma (soul). Therefore, the heart is an organ that governs all emotions and circulates blood.
Natural Treatment of Coronary Artery Disease
Some herbs that are useful in the natural treatment of Coronary Artery Disease are:-
- Arjuna is the topmost rejuvenating herb for the heart according to Ayurveda.
- This herb strengthens the heart and also promotes the proper functioning of heart muscles.
- Blood pressure and healthy cholesterol levels are also maintained by this wonderful herb.
- The bark of Arjuna tree is a rich source of various constituents such as – flavonoids, tannins, saponins, etc. that have cardio-protective action.
- The extract of Arjuna bark has a function similar to nitroglycerine during a heart attack.
- Amla is a well-known fruit for rejuvenation.
- It is a rich source of antioxidants and supports the proper functioning of the heart.
- Amla deeply nourishes the bodily tissues and also supports the digestive process by stimulating the digestive fire without aggravating Pitta dosha.
- Turmeric supports the functioning of the heart by helping in clearing the channels of the body.
- It strengthens digestion, purifies blood, and eliminates ama (toxins) from the digestive tract.
- The anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric help in reducing the risk of coronary artery disease.
- Tulsi is a sacred plant in India that is renowned for its unique qualities for mental clarity and also opens the mind for love and devotion.
- Ginger promotes healthy circulation and vasodilation.
- It also stimulates digestive fire and burns ama (toxins) which helps to clear the channels of the body.
- Garlic has many properties that are helpful in controlling as well as preventing coronary artery disease.
- Consuming a single clove of garlic regularly helps in reducing LDL cholesterol and increasing HDL cholesterol.
- It also supports healthy circulation of blood.
- The resin of guggul tree is a source of compounds known as guggulsterone that help in reducing plaques that are formed due to cholesterol deposits in the arteries.
- It also helps in increasing the metabolic rate of the body.
- It lowers LDL and enhances HDL cholesterol.
Diet and Lifestyle
- It is important to consume adequate fiber so include fresh vegetables, fruits, and whole grains.
- Foods that destroy toxins, rekindle the digestive fire, support proper circulation, and clear excess kapha should be included in the diet. Add ginger, garlic, turmeric, and black pepper to the cooked dishes.
- Exercise should be done on a regular basis as exercise supports heart health by encouraging the flow of prana thus improving circulation throughout the body.
A Quick Wrap Up
Coronary artery disease can be caused due to the accumulation of plaques in the arteries due to increased bad cholesterol which can narrow the arteries resulting in reduced blood flow to the heart and overall body.
Heart diseases are one of the top 3 obsesses that’s causing mortality all over the world. Heart diseases can never be neglected and hence should be taken care of in the early stages. Patients can experience mild to severe pain or discomfort in the chest and pain may spread to the posterior area also.
Ayurveda considers the heart as the main center of the body where our soul rests. So, heart disease should be given the utmost importance and can never be neglected. Ayurvedic herbs are proven to improve heart health significantly. Make sure you include the above-mentioned ayurvedic herbs in your daily routine to prevent any future attacks. Even if you’re not suffering from CAD, these herbs can improve your heart health and prevent you from major diseases.
Along with herbs, one needs to follow an ayurvedic routine to improve the quality of life and also follow the ayurvedic diet to make sure the patient is not getting affected by the food he’s consuming. A good diet and lifestyle not only improve your heart health but also improves your quality of life. Further, if you need expert guidance, book your appointment for online Ayurvedic consultation.