Learning Disability (Unmada)
Learning disability is a conditionwherethereception and processing of information by a person is affected. People with learning disabilities canface problems in reading, writing, doing calculations, understanding directions etc. A person with learning disability may see, hear, or understand things in a different way. This makes their everyday tasks more difficult than others. In Ayurveda, learning disabilities can be included under the vast term Unmada that deals with various developmental anomalies. Dr. Gupta’s IAFA is a distinguished institution that manages several disabilities and disorders through pure Ayurveda. IAFA is offering treatment to children through its specialized Ayurpediatric department for their physical, mental as well as social debilities.
Causes of Learning Disability
Learning disabilities are caused by variousfactors affecting the brain development. It can occur either before or during birth, or in early childhood. Possible causes for learning disabilities include:
- Abnormalities with chromosome such as Down’s syndrome or Turner syndrome
- Complications during child birth causingreduced oxygen supply to the brain.
- Premature child birth
- Illness during pregnancy period
- Alcohol consumption during pregnancy
- Serious illness or injury during early childhood affecting brain development
- Lack of mental stimulation early in childhood
- Associated with other physical disabilities and/or sensory impairments.
Ayurvedic reference of Learning Disability-Unmada
Types of Learning Disabilities
Different types of learning disabilitiesaffect people differently.
The importantkinds of learning disorders include:
- Dyspraxia: Dyspraxia affects a child’s skills that help in movement and coordination. A child having dyspraxia canexperience trouble with holding things. Later, there develop troubles with writing and typing. Also, there will be associated problems like speech difficulties, sensitivity to light, touch etc., problems with eye movements etc.
- Dyslexia:Dyslexia is the condition that affects the way achild processes language.It makes reading and writing troublesome. Children may not be able to express things verbally and can keep thinking over during conversation.
- Dysgraphia: Dysgraphia affects a child’s writing skills. Dysgraphia may lead to various problems like bad handwriting, mistakes with spelling, difficulty in expressing thoughts down on paper.
- Dyscalculia: Dyscalculia is related to a child’s disability to do calculations. Its symptoms can differ from person to person. In children, it may affect ability to count and identify numbers. As the child grows older, he or she can experiencedifficulties in solving basic math problems or remembering topics likemultiplication tables.
“Dr. Gupta’s IAFA is a distinguished institution that manages several disabilities and disorders through pure Ayurveda. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® is offering treatment to children through its specialized Ayurpediatric department for their physical, mental as well as social debilities”.
IAFA is with you to change your disabilities into abilities !!
-Allergist, Dr. Sahil Gupta
Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine & Surgery
Master’s in Health Administration
Diet in Learning Disabilities
Do’s (Pathya) in Learning Disabilities
- Maximum care
- Pay attention to a depressed child
- Moderate exercises, especially mental games along with physical games
- Give mental support to child
- Good sleep
- Give accurate instructions to child
- Assign good task for child
- Sweet food
- Adequate amount of food
- Light, digestible and timely food
Don’ts (Apathya) in Learning Disabilities
- Spicy food
- Junk food
- Day sleep
- Watching mobile for a long time
Yoga and Pranayama for Learning Disabilities
Regular practice of yoga is helpful to attain concentration, stability and calmness. Children can practice Yoga asanas (postures) slowly. Following postures will be effective:
Pranayama helps to achieve concentration. Simple breathing exercises can be practised and this will enhance self-confidence as well as brain capacity.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Learning Disabilities
Ayurveda incorporates treatment protocol combining internal medicines, external medicines and treatment procedures involving purification therapies.
Internal medicines for Learning Disabilities
- Brahmidrakshadi Kashaya
- Kalyanakam Kashaya
- Brahmi ghrita
External Application in Learning Disabilities
Treatment Procedure in Learning Disabilities
- Siroabhyanga (Oil massage on head)
- Sirodhara (Pouring medicated oil/ liquids on forehead)
- Kheeradhara (Pouring medicated milk on whole body)
- Siropichu (Retaining cotton soaked in medicated oil on head)
- Nasya (Nasal installation of medicine)
- Vasti (Enema)
- Snehapana (Administration of ghee)
Single Herb used in the management of Learning Disabilities
- Kushmanda (Benincasahispida)
- Vidari (Ipomeatuberosa)
- Jeevanti (Leptadeniareticulata)
- Aswagandha (Withaniasomnifera)
- Brahmi (Bacopamonnieri)
- Mandukaparni (Centellaasiatica)
- Amalaki (Emblicaofficinalis)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist