Epilepsy in Children (Apasmara)
अपस्मारं पुनः स्मृतिबुद्धिसत्त्वसंप्लवाद्वीभत्सचेष्टमावस्थिकं तमः-प्रवेश माचक्षते ॥
Epilepsy: Symptoms, Causes, Types, Do's, Don'ts, Yoga, Ayurvedic Reference and Treatment : Complete Ayurveda Details
Epilepsy is one of the most common nervous system disorders seen in children. It can be seen in children and adults of all races and ages. It is a brain condition that causes the children to have seizures. The brain consists of millions of nerve cells that communicate via electrical signals. When one or more parts of the brain has a burst of abnormal electrical signals in a way that alters the normal brain cell functions, seizures can occur. When a child has a series of seizures – 2 or more with no known cause, it is diagnosed as Epilepsy. Epilepsy can occur due to many reasons including hereditary reasons, neuro-pathological issues etc. Immediate treatment and attention is required, as in later cases it may cause permanent damage to the nerve cells.
Epilepsy in children can be correlated to “Apasmara” as per Ayurvedic science. Acharyas like Vagbhata, Charaka and Kasyapa have mentioned Apasmara in children. According to Vagbhata, Apasmara mainly occurs due to destruction of memory and results from loss of wisdom and consciousness when the mind gets deranged by worry, grief, fear etc. All three doshas, Vata Pitta and Kapha are vitiated in Apasmara. The Ayurvedic classics recorded accurate treatment methods to alleviate the condition. Based on research led by our experts, IAFA have also developed unique medicines to manage epilepsy in children.
Causes of Epilepsy in Children - Apasmara
Epilepsy in Children can occur due to various reasons. The main causes are-
- Genetic/Hereditary causes
Epilepsy can be familial. Petit mal epilepsy and Grand mal epilepsy are observed in many cases. EEG abnormalities, which is one of the main causes for abnormal brain cell function, can also be inherited from parents to the child. Along with this, inborn errors of metabolism may also result in Epilepsy.
- Biochemical/Neurotransmitter causes
Seizures can occur due to imbalance of neurotransmitters like GABA and ACh which favors excitation and produces Seizures. The Sodium and Potassium ion imbalance also causes alterations in electric discharges due to depolarization and results in seizures.
- Neuro-pathological causes
Pathological lesions like Tumors, Scar, Infection, vascular blockage etc. can lead to multiple seizures resulting in Epilepsy
- Idiopathic causes
Sometimes Epilepsy also occurs due to unknown causes
- Psychological causes
It has been reported that increased fear, anxiety, depression and other psychological conditions may result in seizures.
- Other causes includes
Low blood sugar level
Certain toxic drugs and chemicals.
Ayurvedic reference of Epilepsy in Children - Apasmara
Types of Epilepsy in Children - Apasmara
- Generalized seizures – All areas of the brain cortex are involved in generalized seizures
- Partial / Focal seizures – Only part of the brain is involved, so that only a particular part of the body is affected
Signs and Symptoms of Epilepsy in Children - Apasmara
- The child makes rhythmic uncontrollable movements of arms and legs, which slows down after a few seconds.
- Eyes are wide open
- Child may not appear to be breathing. Often the breathing becomes deep after an episode
- Loss of urine may present
- Dribbling of saliva
- Loss of consciousness
- Return to consciousness is gradual and should occur within minutes.
Diagnosis of Epilepsy in Children - Apasmara
Detection of Epilepsy requires proper clinical examination. The epileptic focus and pattern of epilepsy can be determined by investigations. The main methods for diagnosis are-
- EEG- ELECTROENCEPHALOGRAM
- MRI- MAGNETIC RESONANCE IMAGING
- SPECT – ICTAL SINGLE PHOTON EMISSION COMPUTED TOMOGRAPHY
- PET- INTERICTAL POSITRON EMISSION TOMOGRAPHY
“IAFA® is the only leading Ayurvedic institution in the world for the management of child health through Ayurveda. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® ensures better assurance and guidance through research based natural friendly Ayurvedic remedies for the management of epilepsy in children and other health related ailments.
Reach IAFA for a result oriented treatment of your child!
– Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)
Ayurvedic Allergy Specialist
CEO & Founder of IAFAⓇ
Diet for Epilepsy in Children - Apasmara
- Green gram
- Going through a situation of anger and grief
- Over exertion
- Prawns and other similar seafood
- Extremely hot food
Yoga and Pranayama for Epilepsy in Children - Apasmara
Yoga and Pranayama have excellent results in all Psychological disorders. In Apasmara also Yoga and Pranayama helps in controlling the condition. Asanas like
- Chakrasana etc. helps in keeping the mind and the body in calm as well as balanced.
Ayurvedic treatment of Epilepsy in Children - Apasmara
Permanent management of Epileptic condition is possible through Ayurveda. Both internal and external medicines along with the practices of Yoga Asanas and Pranayama helps in controlling occurence of episodes of seizures.
अथाऽऽवृतानां धीचित्तहत्खानां प्राक्प्रबोधनम् ॥ १५ ॥
तीक्ष्णैः कुर्यादपस्मारे कर्मभिर्वमनादिभिः ।
Shloka No. 15-16, Chapter No. 7- Apasmara Pratisedha, Ashtanga hrudaya Nidana Sthana by Acharya Vaghbhata
In Epilepsy, the channels of intelligence, mind and consciousness are covered by doshas. So they should be cleared first by therapies including combination Panchakarma like Emesis (Vamana) therapy and Purgation ( Virechana) therapy.
Internal medicines of Epilepsy in Children - Apasmara
- Panchagavya ghrita
- Maha pancha ghrita
- Dhanadanayanadi kashayam
- Maha Kalyanakam kashayam
- Brahmi Gritham
- Kushmanda ghrita
External Medications of Epilepsy in Children - Apasmara
- Asvagandha bala lakshadi taila- massage over head and body
- Lashadi taila- head massages.
Single herb used to treat Epilepsy in Children - Apasmara
- Shloka No. 5-7, Chapter No. 8, Apsmaranidanam – Charaka Samhitha Nidana sthanam by Acharya Agnivesa.
- Maharaj Sri Krisnandaji. Rasa Tantra Sara va Siddhi Prayog Sangraha 2nd part, Krisna Gopala Ayurved Bhawan. 12th edition 2010, Unmada – Apsamara – 18, page no. 139-141.
- The Ayurvedic Formulary of India Part – 1, 2nd revised English edition, section – 3 Avaleha and Paka. Page No. 46, section – 5 Guggulu, page numbers 68, 70, 189 and 191.
- Chaukhambha Sanskrit Sansthan, Varanasi, edition reprint – 2006, page no. 444-450.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)
Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Is it possible to treat Epilepsy in children through Ayurveda?
Question: How Ayurvedic treatment is useful for epilepsy in children?
Question: How effective is Ayurvedic treatment for epilepsy?
Question: What is the Ayurvedic treatment of epilepsy in children?
Question: Which herbs are useful in the treatment of epilepsy in children?
Question: Do Panchakarma methods help in Epilepsy management?
Question: What are the Ayurveda and Yoga methods for treating Epilepsy?
– Ayurvedic internal and external medications
– Unique diet
– Unique regimen
– Yoga postures and Pranayama