Athlete’s Foot or Tinea Pedis is a contagious fungal infection that usually begins between the toes. It is caused by the fungus trychophyton, and the infection called Athlete’s Foot as it is commonly found among athletes. It mostly develops due to the sweat that results from tight-fitted shoes worn for long hours. If not taken care of, the infection might also spread to the hands and toenails.
Causes of Athlete’s Foot
Anyone can get this fungal infection, therefore understanding the causes of Athlete’s Foot is even more important as it is also extremely common. Let us take a look at the causes listed below:
- Develops when the tinea fungus grows on foot.
- The fungus might develop due to sweaty feet or by coming into contact with an infected person.
- One might also catch the fungus by coming in contact with the surface where it dwells. It mostly thrives in warm and moist surroundings and is commonly found around swimming pools and shower areas.
Symptoms of Athlete’s Foot
The effects of the infection that occur post catching it might vary from one person to the other, but a few most common Symptoms of Athlete’s Foot are:
- Itching, burning, cracky, and stinging between the toes or feet sole.
- Cracking or peeling of the top skin of the feet.
- Itchy blisters.
- Dry skin on the sides and the sole of the feet.
- Development of scales on the skin of the feet.
- Oozy or crusting blisters.
- Discolored and crumbly toenails.
- Inflammation in the infected area.
- Foul smell from the feet.
Reducing the Risk of Athlete’s Foot
Catching an infection can sure be avoided if we take care of the following precautions:
- Avoid walking barefoot at public places, especially locker rooms, swimming pools, or shower areas.
- Do not share socks, shoes, or towels with an infected person.
- Avoid wearing tight-fitted shoes for long and continuous hours.
- Try not to keep your feet wet for too long.
- Regularly wash your feet, especially if they sweat too much.
- Do not overlook a mild nail or skin injury on the foot.
Treatment of Athlete’s Foot
Treating Athlete’s Foot is very important as if overlooked, it might as well spread to the other parts of the body. Ayurveda offers natural and easy home remedies to cure this infection. Scroll over to read how to Treat Athlete’s Foot Naturally:
- Make sure you dry your feet properly with a cotton towel post bathing. Then apply antiperspirants such as Alum to control sweating.
- Avoid wearing socks, and if at all you do, wear absorbent cotton socks and wash them in warm bleach water.
- Dip your feet daily in a solution of baking soda and water for about 30 minutes.
- This helps to keep the feet dry by maintaining the acid-base relation of the skin.
- Boiled cinnamon water can be an extremely beneficial remedy for this infection.
- Prepare boiled water of about 4 cups with 8-10 cinnamon sticks for a foot bath.
- Apple cider vinegar, honey, and aloe vera gel are very effective external applicants to cure the infection. Application of alcohol with dabbed cotton over the infected area also helps in quick healing.
- Garlic is observed to be anti-septic, anti-fungal, and anti-microbial in nature. Its medicinal properties make it an excellent applicant to treat fungal infections.
- Mince and apply the paste over the infected area at least twice daily.
- Consumption of a few cloves can also be very effective.
- The consumption of yogurt on a daily basis can prevent the development of trichophyton fungus as it contains acidophilus which fights against fungal infection.
- Application of lemon water over the infected area of the feet can bear great results as lemon contains Vitamin C which gives a great fight to the fungus trichophyton.
- Marigold along with some coconut oil is an excellent ointment to cure an athlete’s foot in no time.
Taking strict care of your feet by following the above-mentioned natural treatment of Athlete’s Foot can help you get rid of the infection in a short span of time. At IAFA we not only promote and encourage patients to stick to natural and ayurvedic remedies to cure certain infections, allergies and diseases, but we also provide personalized consultancy and appointments to make sure you go through the proper healing procedures with medical assistance. To avail of proper ayurvedic guidance and treatment along with these home remedies, get in touch with us by booking your appointment now!