Allergic rhinitis is one of the prime diseases of the respiratory system found in all age groups. This disease is chronic in nature and recurs if its root cause is not treated. There is an inflammation of the nasal membrane in allergic rhinitis which causes congestion, sneezing, itching, etc. as the common symptoms. Allergic rhinitis treatment in Ayurveda includes the prescription of herbs for allergic rhinitis which are safe, effective, and offer a permanent cure.
What is the Ayurvedic view of Allergic Rhinitis?
In Ayurveda, allergic rhinitis is described as Pratishaya Roga. This is mainly caused due to the vitiation of Kapha dosha.
Herbs to Fight against Allergic Rhinitis
1. Turmeric (Curcuma longa)
- Turmeric is one of the most common herbs used in Indian kitchens. It is an excellent antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anti-histaminic, and anti-oxidant herb. Turmeric is a natural ayurvedic medicine for allergic rhinitis.
- The properties of turmeric are due to the presence of curcumin.
- Curcumin helps in alleviating nasal symptoms and nasal congestion through the reduction of nasal airflow resistance.
- Turmeric helps in immune modulation by correcting the metabolism.
- The essence of all the tissues i.e., Ojas regains its strength by the consumption of turmeric.
2. Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum)
- Tulsi is the most sacred herb in India and is named “Queen of Herbs.”
- The leaves of tulsi are rich in anti-oxidants and natural phytochemicals. Tulsi supports the immune system and respiratory system.
- It has anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties which provide relief in allergic rhinitis. It helps in expelling out phlegm from the throat.
- Tulsi leaves contain eugenol, cineole, and camphene that help in relieving the congestion.
- It also has a calming and stress-relieving effect on the brain.
3. Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
- This wonderful herb helps in strengthening the immune system.
- It has powerful healing properties so it is widely prescribed in Ayurveda and it is considered a Rasayana.
- Ashwagandha improves the body’s defense against allergic rhinitis by improving cell-mediated immunity.
- Therefore, it helps the body in fighting infections.
4. Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
- According to the Ayurvedic concept, the accumulation of Ama (toxins) is extremely detrimental to health as it can lead to all kinds of imbalances in the body.
- It is used in kaphaj-vatajvikars in Ayurveda.
- The impaired agni (digestive fire) and the creation of ama are responsible for allergic rhinitis.
- Ginger improves digestion strength, neutralizes the ama formation, improves taste, good for the throat, stimulates the digestive fire, promotes digestion, nourishes the dhatus, and cures respiratory tract infections like cough, fever, allergic rhinitis, etc.
5. Amla (Emblica officinalis)
- Amla has been used for thousands of years in Ayurveda for numerous health benefits.
- It has immunomodulatory and antioxidant properties.
- It is the richest source of Vitamin C. Amla is a potent immunomodulator that helps in improving non-specific immunity and prevents allergic rhinitis.
- Amla is considered as Tridoshahara in Ayurveda which means that it balances all the three doshas Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. By virtue of its sourness, it pacifies the increased Vata dosha, due to its cold potency and sweet taste, it appeases the aggravated Pitta dosha. Due to its astringent and dry nature, it balances the aggravated Kapha dosha.
- It has a curative effect on allergic rhinitis due to the presence of Vitamin C and antioxidants in it.
Diet and Lifestyle
- Include common household spices like mustard seeds, nutmeg, black pepper, fennel, coriander, garlic, dried ginger in the diet.
- Taking sunlight for 15-20 minutes every day is also very beneficial as appropriate doses of sunlight increase lightness, kindle Agni, and good for reducing ama in the body.
- Intake of tea made from ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, fennel is also very effective.
- Avoid the intake of junk food, frozen food, ice-creams, curd, and alcohol.
For Allergic Rhinitis treatment in Ayurveda, you may contact Dr. Sahil Gupta (Registered Ayurvedic Vaidya and Allergy Specialist), who treats the patients by prescribing the most effective herbs for allergic rhinitis like mentioned above and offers a permanent cure without any side effects.