Allergic Rhinitis is an immune response of the nasal mucosa to airborne allergens which involves nasal congestion, nasal discharge, itching of the nose and sneezing. These symptoms may significantly affect the patient’s quality of life. Ayurvedic medicines for Allergic Rhinitis has been used for this condition as modern medicine fails to provide permanent relief from allergic rhinitis.
Modern pharmacotherapies consist of oral and intranasal antihistamines, mast cell stabilizers, leukotriene inhibitors, intranasal steroids and allergy immunotherapy. Due to fear of side effects of these drugs, some patients prefer Ayurvedic treatment of allergic rhinitis. From ancient times until now, many Indian people prefer traditional herbal treatments for their ailments.
Causes of Allergic Rhinitis – According to Ayurveda
Allergic Rhinitis from an Ayurvedic perspective is caused due to the formation of ama (toxins) in the body which causes low immunity. The accumulated Ama aggravates the levels of kaphadosha in the body, giving rise to the different symptoms of allergies.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Allergic Rhinitis
Ayurvedic treatment of Allergic Rhinitis includes the balancing of doshas, thus treating the disease as a whole. It involves clearing the sinuses and expelling phlegm, alleviating the dosha and detoxification. Thus, Ayurvedic treatment involves:
- Deepana/Pachana to digest ama
- Medicines to build immunity
- Rasayana (rejuvenation) therapy
Ayurvedic Medicines to Treat Allergic Rhinitis
- Haridrakhand is an Ayurvedic medicine widely used for the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis in Ayurveda. The main ingredient of Haridrakhand is Haldi (Curcuma longa). This herbal formulation is anti-allergic, anti-histaminic, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-pruritic in nature.
- According to Ayurveda, Haridrakhand can be used regardless to the dominance of Dosha.
- It is good for disorders with Kaphadosha dominance.
- The main ingredient used in Haridrakhand is turmeric that has anti-allergic effect. It helps in stopping sneezing, reducing nasal congestion and postnasal drip.
2. Sitopladi Churna
- Sitopladi Churna is widely used in the treatment of Allergic Rhinitis in Ayurveda. It is a classical Ayurvedic preparation useful in a variety of disease relating to respiratory system and immune system.
- It contains potent immunomodulatory ingredients which enhances non-specific immunity. Therefore, people with recurrent upper respiratory tract infections can get benefits from it.
- It cures fever linked with flu, chest congestion and other respiratory conditions.
- This churna loosens the phlegm due to its anti-inflammatory property,
- The anti-histaminic property of sitopladi churna inhibits the release of inflammatory mediators and therefore controls various allergy symptoms.
3. Abhrak Bhasma
- Abhrak Bhasma is a classical Ayurvedic formulation that involves the use of calcined mica for treating respiratory disorders.
- Abhrak is a powerful mineral compound which consists of minerals such as silicon, calcium, magnesium, potassium etc.
- It acts as Rasayan (rejuvenative), balya (improves strength), deepana (enhances the digestive fire), pachana (helps in digestion), rochana (stimulates appetite), jvarahar (useful in fever), anulomana (improves breathing), kasahar (relieves cough), shwasa har (relieves breathing difficulties) etc.
- Regular intake of this bhasma in prescribed doses strengthens the lung tissues and augments lung health.
4. Chyawanprash Rasayana
- Chyawanprash is an Ayurvedic nutritional supplement prepared from various herbs, herbal extracts and minerals.
- It is very rich in Vitamin C and helps in the prevention and treatment of a variety of disorders through its immunomodulator effects and rejuvenation properties.
- It helps in the treatment of allergic rhinitis by improving the body’s defence mechanism to fight against external stimuli.
To buy these ayurvedic medicines, you can call us at: (+91) 701-581-0705, (+91) 921-550-0605, or email us at: [email protected].
Aahar (Diet Recommendations)
- Light food and drinking lukewarm water should be preferred. Include kaphanashak food in the diet such as little spicy food, legumes, soups etc.
- Avoid the intake of sweets, cakes, ice-creams, desserts, yogurt and curd.
- Consumption of alcohol and cold beverages should be avoided.
- Avoid heavy food, fermented food, food that is too hot or too cold, sour food, non-vegetarian food and fruits such as banana.
Vihar (Lifestyle Changes)
- Rubbing nilgiri oil or mint oil on the chest helps to prevent the triggering of attack.
- Regular inhalation of steam soothes the symptoms of congestion.
- Exercise regularly.
- Avoid sleeping during day time.
- Get sufficient rest.
Along with the prescription of Ayurvedic medicines for allergic rhinitis, changes in diet and lifestyle are also recommended for permanently resolving this disorder and strengthening the immune system.