Eye Allergy (Abhishyanda)
Eye Allergies - Causes, Symptoms and Ayurvedic Treatment
Eye allergy is the allergic reaction of eyes to various irritants usually associated with nose allergy. It is also called ocular allergy. In the recent years, incidence of eye allergy has been increasing due to rise in environmental pollution, industrialization etc.
Ayurveda is the only natural measure for the ultimate solution to managing eye allergies. Dr. Gupta’s IAFA is successfully managing eye allergies through unique herbal remedies along with following all the Ayurvedic classical measures.
Causes of Eye Allergy
Allergens that travel through air are the major causative factors of Eye Allergy. This includes:
- Pollen grains
- Fur and feather of pet animals
- Some eye drops
- Contact lens – materials accumulated on the surface of lenses are responsible for causing allergy to the eyes
Ayurvedic Reference of Abhishyanda (Eye allergy)
Symptoms of Eye Allergy
When the allergens come in contact with eyes, body’s immune system produces antibodies that result in following symptoms that help to protect the eyes from harmful effects.
- Burning sensation
- Swollen eye lids
- Increased sensitivity to light
Sometimes Eye allergy will be associated with nose allergy and skin allergy called Eczema.
As per Ayurveda, itching, watering, mild inflammation, dryness, foreign body sensation etc. are the symptoms of Abhishyanda.
Allergic conjunctivitis is the more commonly affected type of Eye Allergy.
Conjunctiva is a membrane that covers the eyeball and eyelids. When allergens like dust, chemicals, some medicines, etc. come in contact with conjunctiva, it reacts with symptoms like itching, watering, burning sensation, inflammation, etc. Allergic conjunctivitis may be of 2 types – Acute or Chronic. The acute stage occurs when allergens cause a sudden reaction while in the chronic stage the symptoms come and go. People suffering from any other types of allergy, like skin allergy, asthma, etc. are more prone to be affected by Allergic Conjunctivitis.
“Dr. Gupta’s is successfully managing eye allergies through unique herbal remedies along with following all the Ayurvedic classical measures. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® is the ultimate destination for treating eye allergy through completely natural Ayurveda measures”.
Visit us today and add rejuvenation to your eyes!!!
– Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)
Ayurvedic Allergy Specialist
CEO & Founder of IAFA®
Diet and Lifestyle in Eye allergy
Following things can be practiced to reduce and prevent eye allergy.
- Use sunglasses when go out
- Keep surroundings clean
- Use of cold compress
- Practice of eye exercises
- Exposure to dust, smoke and other allergens
- Spicy food
- Rubbing of eyes
- Close contact with pets
- Continuous use of computers, mobile phone and television
Yoga and Pranayama for Eye Allergy
Yogic postures like Sarvangasana, Savasana, Sukhasana are especially beneficial for the health of eyes. Pranayama helps to revitalize sense organs by ensuring proper blood supply. Tradaka is a particular eye exercise described in Ayurveda. It is done by staring on a specific point like a small dot or a light source (candle light).
Ayurvedic Treatment of Eye Allergy
Eye allergy can be completely cured through Ayurvedic medicines. Treatment includes internal medicines, local procedures on eye, purification therapy etc. Combination of various treatment modalities are executed depending on the condition of patient and stage of disease.
Following medicines can be administrated after analyzing the condition of patient:
- Mahatraiphala Ghrta
- Triphala churna
- Drakshadi Ghrta
- Haridra Khanta
- Patoladi Ghrta
External Medicines and Local Procedures
There are specific medicines that are applied externally over eyelids to relieve edema and redness. Ayurveda has unique procedures by which medicines are applied over eyes through various methods. This includes Aschyotana (eye drops), Bidalaka (application of medicinal paste over eyelids), Pindi (Eye bandaging with medicinal bolus), Netradhara (pouring medicated water over eyes) etc. Following medicines are used for these procedures:
- Shigruadi Eye Drops
- Triphaladi Eye Drops
- Bilwamuladi Eye Drops
- Hriberadi Dhara
Whole body purification helps a lot to strengthen the immune system and also to improve the functioning of sense organs including the eyes. It includes:
- Snehapana (Intake of large quantity of medicated ghee to prepare body for purification procedures)
- Vamana (emesis)
- Virechana (purgation)
Single herbs like Amalaki or Amla (Emblica officinalis) and Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza Glabra) are also used in eye allergies.
- Shloka No. 1-2, Sarvakshrogavijnaneeyam, Ashtangahrudayam by Acharaya Vagbhata, Uttarasthanam.
- Vd. Yadavji Trikamji and Narayan Ram Acharaya, Sushruta Samhita Uttartantra 6/5, by Sushruta with Nibandhasangraha, commentary of Shri Dalhanacharya, Varanasi, Chaukhambha Sanskrit Sansthan, Edition Reprint 2010, p.603.
- Prof. (Dr.) K.S. Dhiman. Shalakyatantra – Kriyakalpa Vidnyan, Ch. 9, Varanasi, published by Chaukhambha Vishwabharati, 1st edition 2013, p. 134-143.
- Sharma Shiva Prasad. Editor. Uttara Tantra. 56. Vol. 19. Varanasi: Chaukhambha Bharati Academy; 2006. Vriddha Vagbhata, Ashtanga Samgraha; p. 725.
- Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Aspects of Allergies and Fungal Infections, Edition 2021, Eye Allergy Chapter No. 03, Page No. 23-27.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)