Aspergillus Sinusitis (Kaphaj Pratishaya)
कफाद् गुरुः स्रोतसि चापि कण्डूः॥१०६॥
Aspergillus Sinusitis- Causes, Symptoms, and Ayurvedic Treatment
Aspergillus, a genus of spore-forming ubiquitous fungi, affects both the upper and the lower respiratory tracts. The clinical spectrum of hypersensitivity manifestations in the respiratory tract includes Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA), Allergic Aspergillus sinusitis (AAS), and Aspergillus induced asthma.
Fungal infections of the paranasal sinuses need to be recognized in order to avoid significant mortality and morbidity. The maxillary sinus is the most common sinus to be affected.
Causes of Aspergillus Sinusitis
According to Ayurvedic perspective, the features of Aspergillus sinusitis can be correlated to Dushta Pratishyaya in which severe headache, altered olfaction, nasal obstruction, mucous production and blockage are the main symptoms.
According to Ayurveda, it is a tridoshaj condition having kapha predominant symptoms.
Ayurvedic Reference of Aspergillus Sinusitis
Symptoms of Aspergillus Sinusitis
- Runny nose
- Severe nasal congestion / obstruction
- Facial discomfort including numbness
- Post nasal discharge
“Aspergillus sinusitis is a chronic fungal infection that must be managed with immediate attention as the right treatment that is started earliest help in speedy recovery. The Ayurvedic treatment provides a complete cure of aspergillus sinusitis without causing any side effects. Dr. Gupta’s Institute of Applied Food Allergy® has successfully treated a large number of aspergillus sinusitis successfully through natural remedies”.
– Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)
Ayurvedic Allergy Specialist
CEO & Founder of IAFA®
Diet Management in Aspergillus Sinusitis
Diet that balances the Prana Vata and Shleshaka Kapha should be followed.
Do’s (Pathya) in Aspergillus Sinusitis
- Include spices such as turmeric, ginger, fennel seeds in the diet.
- Drink warm water throughout the day.
- Intake of light and warm food is recommended.
Don’ts (Apathya) in Aspergillus Sinusitis
- Intake of cold beverages and refrigerated food
- Use of cold water for internal and external purposes
- Day sleep
- Emotions like anger or sorrow
- Heavy and fatty food
Yoga Therapy for Aspergillus Sinusitis
- Jal Neti is a very effective yogic practice for Aspergillus sinusitis.
- Yoga Asanas such as Bhujangasana, Uttanasana, etc. are very beneficial.
- Pranayam such as Kapalbhati is very effective.
- Steam inhalation is also very beneficial.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Aspergillus Sinusitis
At IAFA, the Ayurvedic approach of management of Aspergillus sinusitis is multifaceted and involves a combination of detoxification processes through shodhana (purificatory) and shamana (palliative) using tikshna (sharp), ushna (hot) and kapha hara (kapha dosha pacifying) medications.
IAFA provides effective purificatory and palliative therapies for the successful management of Aspergillus sinusitis.
- Ayurvedic Aspects of Allergies and Fungal Infections, Edition 2021, by Sahil Gupta, Fungal Infection Chapter No. 41, Page No. 246.
- P.V. Sharma (Ed.), Sushruta Samhita, Uttarasthana; pratisyaya pratishedham: Chapter 24, verse 14-15, Chaukhambha Orientalia, Varanasi (2005), page 258.
- Sastri, Ambika Dutta Bhaisajya Ratnavali commented by R.D. Shastri 2nd edition, Chaukhamba Sanskrit office Varanasi.
- Charak Samhita (Puravardha) by Dr. Brahmanand Tripathi.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)