Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (Shwasaroga)
Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA) - Ayurvedic Treatment
Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA) is a fungal infection of the lung due to a hypersensitivity reaction to antigens of Aspergillus fumigatus after colonization into the airways. It commonly presents in the third to fifth decade of life. It is also common in children. It usually found in severe asthmatics and patients with cystic fibrosis. It causes airway inflammation, leading to bronchiectasis, if left untreated, the immune system and fungal spores can damage sensitive lung tissues and lead to scarring.
In Ayurveda, Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA) may be included in Shwasa and Kasaroga mentioned in ayurvedic texts due to the similarity in aetiopathogenesis and clinical presentation. As per the ayurvedic principles, respiratory diseases have the predominance of Vata dosha (one among the functional pillars of the body) along with vitiation of Kapha dosha and Pranavahasrotas (cardio-respiratory system).
Dr. Gupta’s IAFA successfully addresses this condition and provides very safe and effective ayurvedic treatment for Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA).
Causes of Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA)
It is a condition characterized by an exaggerated response of the immune system (a hypersensitivity response) to the fungus Aspergillus. Aspergillus colonization prompts vigorous antibody (IgE and IgG) and cell-mediated immune responses (type I, III, and IV hypersensitivity reactions) to Aspergillus antigens, leading to frequent, recurrent asthma exacerbations.
Ayurvedic Reference of Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis - Shwasaroga
Symptoms of Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA)
- Almost all patients have clinically diagnosed asthma, and present with wheezing (usually episodic in nature)
- Shortness of breath
- Exercise intolerance (especially in patients with cystic fibrosis)
- Pleuritic chest pain
“Institute of Applied Food Allergy® offers successful Ayurvedic Management for Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA). Dr. Gupta’s IAFA is committed towards providing the best care with compassion and excellence in service”.
The skill to heal, The spirit to care!!!… For your better health, Reach Dr. Gupta’s IAFA
– Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)
Ayurvedic Allergy Specialist
CEO & Founder of IAFA®
Diet in Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA)
Do’s (Pathya) in Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA)
- Godhuma (Wheat), Old rice, Mudga (Green gram), Kulattha (Horse gram), Yava (barley), Patola (Snake gourd)
- Use of Garlic, Turmeric, Ginger, Black pepper
- Lukewarm water, Goat Milk, Honey.
Don’ts (Apathya) in Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA)
- Heavy, cold diet, Masha (black gram)
- Deep-fried items, Mustard leaves, Fish
- Exposure to Cold & Humid atmosphere
- Sweets, Chilled water, Stored food items, Curd
- Suppression of natural urges
- Excessive physical exertion
- Exposure to Smoke, Dust and fumes, Pollutants and Pollens
Yoga Therapy for Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA)
Nadi-shodhana Pranayama leads to a marked improvement in the lung functions by strengthening the respiratory muscles and decreasing the resistance to the airflow in the lungs.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA)
The treatment principle for respiratory disorders as per Ayurveda is to balance both Vata and Kapha, so the drugs used for these diseases should possess qualities like Vata-kapha-shamaka (alleviating Vata & Kapha dosha), Ushna (hot by potency), and vatanulomana (carminative). Ayurveda has also potent single drugs and compound formulations for breaking the pathology of these respiratory ailments.
Internal Medicines for Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA)
- Vasa Vyaghri kashaya
- Dashmoola Katutraya kashaya
- Bharangyadi kashaya
- Talishadi churna
- Sitopladi churna
- Shringyadi churna
- Vyaghri haritaki
- Swasnanda gutika
- Haridra khanda
- Vasa ghrita
- Kantakari ghrita
- Abhraka bhasma
- Sameerpannaga rasa
- Swasa kuthara rasa
External therapies for Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA)
- Abhyanga (massage) with Sarsapataila (mixed with saindhava lavana) on the chest
- Swedana (hot fomentation)
- Vamana (emesis therapy),
- Virechna (purgation therapy)
Single Herbs Used in Allergic Bronchopulmonary Aspergillosis (ABPA)
- Kantkari (Solanum surattense)
- Vasa (Adhatoda vasica)
- Madhuyasti (Glycyrrhiza glabra)
- Bharangi (Clerodendrum serratum)
- Pushkarmoola(Inula racemosa)
- Vibhitaka (Terminalia bellerica)
- Shati (Hedychium spicatum)
- Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum)
- Shirisha (Albizia lebbeck)
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Ayurvedic Aspects of Allergies and Fungal Infections, Edition 2021, by Sahil Gupta, Broncho-pulmonary Aspergillosis Chapter No. 11, Page No. 248-249.
- Sushruta Acharaya, Sushruta Samhita edited with Ayurved tattva sandipika, Uttartantra, editor Kaviraja Ambika Dutta Shastri, Chaukhambha Sanskrit Sansthan, Varanasi, Reprint 2017.
- Charak Acharya, Charak Samhita edited with Vidyotni commentary, Sutra Sthana, Nidan Sthana & Chikitsa Sthana, editor Pt. Kasinatha Shastri & Dr. Gorakha Natha Chaturvedi, Chaukhambha Bharati Academy, Varanasi, Reprint 2018.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)