The freshly sprouted initial leaves of wheat plant (Triticumaestivum) is wheat grass. It is a nutrient rich superfood and a commonly used supplement. It is available as fresh juice, powder, frozenjuice, tablets, gel and cream. Wheat grass being gluten free add more prestige to its nutritional benefits. Peak nutritional value is reached 200 days after sowing and is harvested, freeze-dries and changed to different forms at this stage. Dr.Gupta’s IAFA is promoting green supplements which are easily digestible and highly beneficial to our followers.
NUTRIONAL VALUE Of WHEAT GRASS
100 grams of wheat grass contains
- Protein -33.36%
- Insoluble dietary fibre- 1.31%
- Soluble dietary fibre-3.45%
- Fat -0.77 g
- In addition ,wheat grass is a rich source of Vitamin A,C,E,K,B6 ,thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, selenium, magnesium ,potassium ,amino acids etc
Ayurvedic reference of Wheat
THERAPEUTIC BENEFITS OF WHEAT GRASS
- Wheat grass is a potent antioxidant, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory agent.
- Chlorophyll in wheat grass helps in detoxifying body by removing impurities and toxins.
- It aids digestion and metabolism by virtue of high levels of supportive enzymes in it.
- Wheat grass is also known to boost immunity ,energise body, and improve vitality
- In addition wheat grass also help in regulating hypertension , type 2 Diabetes mellitus ,improve cognitive function and help fight inflammatory conditions like arthritis ,gout etc
- Recent studies show that wheat grass posses anticancer property. When used alongside with conventional cancer treatment, far better results are guaranteed. Moreover effects of chemotherapy can be reduces by regular use of wheat grass.
- Wheat grass juice or powder can be taken as an add on supplement to prevent the lifestyle diseases like obesity, asthma, flatulence, recurrent indigestion, mal-absorption issues etc.30 ml of wheatgrass juice is taken 30 minutes before food twice daily .A bit of honey of palm jaggery can be added to improve therapeutic activity and palatability.
- Wheat grass can also be used for hair damage by massaging wheat grass juice on to scalp for 5 to 10 minutes and then washing off with cold water after half an hour.
- External application of wheat grass on scars and boils helps in fast healing and also eradicates symptoms like itching, scaling, dryness etc.
- Powder : 2-3 grams twice daily
- Juice : 30 ml twice daily
Wheat grass is called godhuma in ayurveda.
PROPERTIES OF GODHUMA IS EXPLAINED IN ASTANGA HRIDAYA SUTRA STANA CHAPTER 6 COMPOSED BY ACHARYA VAGBATA
The general qualities of Godhuma as per Ayurveda
- Goodhumais Vrushya (natural aphrodiasic), Sheeta (cold), guru (Heavy to digest) , snigdha(unctuous, oily)
- Jivaniya – enlivening
- Vatapittahara – balances Vata and Pitta
- Sandhanakari – heals fractures and wounds
- Sthairyakrut increases body stability
- Sara – promotes bowel movements
- Pathya – can be had on daily basis
- Nandimukhi variety of wheat is good for health. It issheeta (cold) , Kashaya (astringent) Madhura (sweet) and laghu (light to digest)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist