On This Page
Varuna – Crataeva Nurvala
Varuna is one the most readily available herbs in India. The leaves of the pant have significant resemblance with that of Bilva and hence the name given. Varuna is commonly known as Three leaved caper. The genus name Crataeva came from the name of the Greek botanist Crativas and the species name Nurvala came from the Malayalam word Nir meaning water.
Institute of Applied food Allergy guided by Dr. Gupta, have been studying on readily available herbs for the purpose of alleviating allergic condition. Our experts studied on Varuna and proven many therapeutic activities of the plant like, anti-inflammatory, Spasmodic, Lithotriptic, Antipyretic etc. The plant can be used to treat diseases like Urinary calculus, Goitre, Cough, Diabetes, Inflammation, Fever, Allergic conditions etc. Our experts have also found out that the stem bark of Varuna have antidiabetic activities. The petroleum ether extract and ethanolic extract of the plant showed significant antidiabetic activities.
Action of Varuna – Crataeva Nurvala in Allergies
IAFA experts have successfully proven the antiallergic and anti-inflammatory property of the plant Varuna. The plant contains phytoconstituents like Friedelin, Betulinic acid, Diosgenin, Lupeol, Volatile components, P-cymene, Limonene, Linalool, a and Bionones. These aids in the antiallergic property of the plant. The decoction prepared from the leaves of Varuna can alleviate skin allergic conditions and worm infestations.
|Varuna, Kumaraka, Tiktasaakha
|Three leaved caper
Morphology of Varuna – Crataeva Nurvala
- Small tree
- Stems are erect, woody
- Stem bark is greyish
- Leaves are compound type, lanceolate
- Inflorescence is terminal corymb
- Fruits are berry
- Seeds are many and woody
Ayurveda Reference of Varuna – Crataeva Nurvala
Geographical Distribution of Varuna – Crataeva Nurvala
Varuna is found throughout India especially in forest areas.
Phytoconstituents of Varuna – Crataeva Nurvala
Stem bark has Friedelin, Betulinic acid, Diosgenin, Lupeol,Volatile components, P-cymene, Limonene, Linalool, a and Bionones.
Parts Used of Varuna – Crataeva Nurvala
- Stem bark
Dosage of Varuna – Crataeva Nurvala
- Juice (swarasa) – 10-20 ml
- Decoction (kwatha) – 50-100 ml
Medicinal Properties of Varuna – Crataeva Nurvala
- Hrdrogahara – cardio protective
- Sophahara – relieves swelling
- Swasahara – relieves asthma
- Krimighna – alleviates worm infestations
- Visaghna – useful in poisoning
- Kandughna – relieves itching
- Kushtaghna – relieves skin diseases
Home Remedies of Varuna – Crataeva Nurvala
Ayurveda is an ancient system of medicine, extensively popular in India. More than medical care, Ayurveda advices lifestyle modifications which helps in relieving diseases and promoting immunity. Ayurveda uses herbs that are commonly seen around. Varuna is a major herb used in Ayurveda and is used in many diseases like,
- In Urinary calculus (Asmari) – Decoction is prepared from the root bark of Varuna and to it add paste of root bark. It is then taken internally.
- In Diabetes (Prameha) – Decoction of Varunais taken at a dose of 60ml per day to cure diabetes.
- In Goitre (Gandamala) – Decoction prepared from root bark of Varuna is taken internally.
- In digestive disorders (Agnimandhya) – Root bark crushed and Decoction made. Oral intake of this will cure digestive disorders.
- In Cough (Kasa) – Powder of Barkof Varunais mixed with Ginger and taken repeatedly to cure cough.
- In worm infestations (krimiroga) – Decoction prepared from root bark of Varuna is taken at a dose of 60ml per day.
- In Fever (Jwara) – Decoction of Varuna and Mandukaparni is taken to cure fever at a dose of 60ml.
- In Heart diseases (Hrdroga) – Daily usage of Varuna can act as cardioprotective.
Ayurveda is an Indian system of medicine which uses different forms of products derived from herbs that are commonly seen around. Dr. Gupta’s IAFA have been conducting research studies to find out different phytoconstituents of herbs and their action in body. Such knowledge acquired through these researches by our experts is used to produce different medicines purely based on Ayurveda. IAFA is the provider of safe and effective treatment for a wide range of diseases, mainly allergic diseases all based on Ayurveda.
Reach IAFA for safe herbal remedies for all your ailments!!!