Kasini (Cichorium Intybus)
Kasini (Cichorium intybus) commonly known as cichory is a pereninial herb, with large and spreading leaves. It is quite bitter in taste, but the nutritional benefits that Kasini offers is innumerable. It is considered to be a potential blood purifying, anti inflammatory, diuretic and laxative drug which can be used in the management of wide range of ailments like dysmenorrhoea, rheumatoid arthritis, hypersensitive disorders, diabetes etc in combination with other medications from authentic medical prescription. Kasini has been used as a medicine as well as food ingredient from ancestral periods. IAFA is producing and promoting good quality natural supplements to our followers to assure the availability of best products.
THERAPEUTIC USES OF KASINI
- Use of Kasini will help relive idiopathic constipation, regulate blood pressure and blood glucose levels.
- It helps to reduce aggregated uric acid levels of body, thus reduces joint pain and swelling. In addition Kasini being a good anti-inflammatory agent helps to alleviate joint pathologies.
- Kasini also shows hepato-protective and lithotropic action and so can be used in resolving minor gallstones, liver detoxification etc
- Kasini is one among the 38 plants used in Bach flower remedies.
- It is also used as a hormonal tonic that help to balance hormone levels ,help to alleviate premenstrual symptoms.
- Kasini being a potent antifungal drug is widely used in Candida infection.
- Tender Kasini leaves can be added to salads while the matured leaves are used for preparing soups or porridge to render whole lot of nutritional addition to your dishes.
- Roots of Kasini plant is dried, roasted and powdered to make chichory coffee powder. Coffee made out of Kasini root is a nutritious beverage and you get to drink one of the world’s most flavoured coffee.
- Inulin which is extracted from Kasini root is used as a sweetener as well as source of dietary fibre which can be incorporated to daily diet plan in allowed quantities.
Kasini leaves are richly supplied with vitamin B6, vitamin E, Vitamin C, iron, magnesium, zinc, potassium, phosphorous, beta-carotene manganese, niacin, riboflavin, inulin etc.
30 gram of Kasini contain
- Calories – 7 kcal
- Carbohydrates – 1g (1%)
- Dietary fibre -3%
- Calcium -30 mg
- Iron -1mg (5%)
- Potassium -167mg(5%)
- Protein – 1g
- Sodium –24mg (1%)
- 2-3 Teaspoons of Kasini juice every day help to acquire its maximum benefit and imbibe its complete utility for optimal body functioning.
- Kasini have been explained elaborately in Ayurvedic texts.
- It is tikta rasa(bitter taste), laghu(light to digest) ,ruksha (dry), ushna virya(hot potency) and katu vipaka.
- Doshic action – kapha pitta hara
- Kasini cures diseases pertaining to yakrt(liver) , mutrakrichra(dysuria) ,hridroga(heart diseases)
Kasini is a very potent drug explained in Ayurveda classics more than 3000 years ago. But unfortunately the world got a little behind time to realise the miraculous effect of this drug. Now it is widely used for health maintenance ,disease prevention as well as for disease healing which throws light on the very core concept of Ayurveda.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist