Trivrit – Operculina turpethum
Trivrit – Operculina turpethum
Trivrit, commonly known as Indian Jalap is one of most commonly used purgative medicine in Ayurveda. This herb is also used for the alleviation of inflammatory conditions and bacterial infections. The name Trivrit indicates that the stem of this plant is triangular. It is also called Sarvanubhoothi as it is utilized in many diseases including allergic conditions.
Dr. Gupta’s IAFA have been studying on readily available herbs for the purpose of alleviating allergic condition. Our experts studied on Trivrit and proven the plant’s therapeutic activities like Purgative, Anti-inflammatory, Antibacterial, Cathartic, Anthelmintic, Cardiac depressant, Laxative, Antipyretic, Spasmodic actions etc. Vidanga can be used in various diseases like Piles, Jaundice, Fever, Worm infestationetc. The stem bark extracts of Trivrit have ulcer preventive and ulcer protective actions thus used as an antiulcer agent. Methanolic extract of this plant shows antioxidant and antitumor actions and can be used against breast cancer. Root extract of Trivrit have hepatoprotective activity. Nowadays Trivrit is also used for treating allergic conditions.
Action of Trivrit – Operculina turpethum in Allergies
IAFA experts have successfully proven the antiallergic property of the plant Trivrit. The plant contains phytoconstituents like glycoside resin, turpethin, alfa turpethin, beta turpethin, volatile oil, coumarin, scopoletin, rhamnose, vanillic acid, turpethinic acids C, D, E, saponins etc. These phytoconstituents aids the antiallergic, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory property of Trivrit. It can be effectively used in skin allergic conditions.
Vernacular Names and Classification
|Botanical name||Operculina turpethum|
|Sanskrit Name||Trivrit, Tribhandi, Triputa|
|English Name||Indian Jalap|
Ayurveda Reference of Trivrit – Operculina turpethum
Morphology of Trivrit – Operculina turpethum
- Perennial twiner with milky juice
- Stems are long, twining and twisted
- Leaves are simple, obovate or oblong
- Inflorescence is few flowered cyme
- Flowers are white
- Fruits are capsule
Geographical Distribution of Trivrit – Operculina turpethum
Trivrit is found throughout India especially grows in plains.
Phytoconstituents of Trivrit – Operculina turpethum
The plant contains phytoconstituents like glycoside resin, turpethin, alfa turpethin, beta turpethin, volatile oil, coumarin, scopoletin, rhamnose, vanillic acid, turpethinic acids C, D, E, saponins etc.
Parts Used of Trivrit – Operculina turpethum
Dosage of Trivrit – Operculina turpethum
- Powder (churna) – 1-4 g
Medicinal Properties of Trivrit – Operculina turpethum
- Recaka – as purgative
- Anulomana – as laxative
- Sophahara – relieves swelling
- Jwaraghna – relieves fever
- Pandurogahara – cures anaemia
- Krimighna – useful in worm infestations
- Kandughna – relieves itching
- Arsoghna – useful in piles
- Vranahara – useful in wounds
Have A Health Issue?
– Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)
Ayurvedic Allergy Specialist
CEO & Founder of IAFA®
Home Remedies of Trivrit – Operculina turpethum
Ayurveda is an ancient Indian system of medicine which uses commonly seen herbs to treat various diseases. Trivrit is one of the commonly as en herb and has different uses like,
- In Piles (Arsas) – Powder of Trivrit is mixed with decoction of Emblica officinalis, Terminalia chebula and Terminalia belerica and given internally.
- In Jaundice (Kamala) – Decoction of Emblica officinalis, Terminalia chebula and Terminalia belerica is mixed with Trivrit powder and given.
- In Fever (Jwara) – Powder of Trivrit is mixed with sugar and given in fever.
- As Purgative (Recaka) – 1-4 g powder of Trivrit is given with hot water to aid purgation.
- In Anaemia (Pandu) – Trivrit powder is mixed with decoction of Emblica officinalis, Terminalia chebula and Terminalia belerica and given internally.
- As Laxative (Anulomana) – Low doses of Trivrit powder is given with hot water.
- In Swelling (Sotha) – Decoction of Trivrit is given to cure swelling.
- In Worm infestations (Krimi) – Trivrit powder is given to cure diseases due to worm infestations.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist