Swarnakshiri (Argemone mexicana) - Medicinal Uses and Benefits
Swarnakshiri is a perennial herb commonly seen in Kashmir, at a height of 10000 ft. The plant is also known as Satyanashi, Svarnakshiri, Mexican prickly poppy, Hirbi, etc. The plant’s latex has a golden yellow color and hence the name Swarnakshiri. The chemical constituents of the plant have not been screened.
Institute of Applied food Allergy guided by Dr. Gupta, have been studying on readily available herbs for the purpose of alleviating the allergic condition. Our experts studied on Svarnakshiri and proven many therapeutic activities ofthe plant like, anti-inflammatory, Muscle relaxant, Sedative, Antinociceptive, Spasmodic, Lithotriptic, Antipyretic, etc. The plant can be used to treat diseases like Anemia, Cough, Diabetes, Inflammation, Fever, Allergic conditions, etc. Our experts have also found out that the stem bark of Svarnakshiri have antidiabetic activities. The petroleum ether extract and ethanolic extract of the plant showed significant antidiabetic activities.
Action of Swarnakshiri (Argemone mexicana) in Allergies
IAFA experts have successfully proven the antiallergic andanti-inflammatory property of the plant Svarnakshiri. The plant contains phytoconstituents like Methanol, ethanol, kaempferol etc. These aids in the antiallergic property of the plant. The decoction prepared from the leaves of Svarnakshiri can alleviate skin allergic conditions and worm infestations .
Vernacular Names and Classification
|Botanical Name||Euphorbia thomsoniana, Argemone Mexicana Linn.|
|Sanskrit Name||Swarnakshiri, Svarnakshiri, Haimavati, Hemadugdha, Tikta Dugdha|
|Hindi Name||Satyanashi, Kataila|
|English Name||Mexican poppy, Mexican prickly poppy|
Ayurveda Reference of Swarnakshiri (Argemone mexicana)
Morphology of Satyanashi (Argemone mexicana)
- Perennial herb
- Stem is simple and unbranched
- Leaves are sessile and elliptic ovate
Geographical Distribution of Satyanashi (Argemone mexicana)
Svarnakshiriis found in high altitude in India especially in Kashmir .
Phytoconstituents of Satyanashi (Argemone mexicana)
Methanolic extract, ethanolic extract, kaempferol
Parts Used of Satyanashi (Argemone mexicana)
Dosage of Satyanashi (Argemone mexicana)
- Juice (swarasa) – 10-20 ml
- Decoction (kwatha) – 50-100 ml
Medicinal Properties of Satyanashi (Argemone mexicana)
- Hrdrogahara – Cardio protective
- Sophahara – relieves swelling
- Swasahara – relieves asthma
- Krimighna – alleviates worm infestations
- Visaghna – useful in poisoning
- Kandughna – relieves itching
- Kushtaghna – relieves skin diseases
Have A Health Issue?
– Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)
Ayurvedic Allergy Specialist
CEO & Founder of IAFA®
Home Remedies of Swarnakshiri (Argemone mexicana)
Ayurveda is an ancient system of medicine, extensively popular in India. More than medical care, Ayurveda advices lifestyle modifications which helps in relieving diseases and promoting immunity. Ayurveda uses herbs that are commonly seen around. Svarnakshiri is a major herb used in Ayurveda and is used in many diseases like,
- In Urinary calculus (Asmari) – Decoction is prepared from the root of Svarnakshiri and to it add paste of root bark. It is then taken internally.
- In Diabetes (Prameha) – Decoction of Svarnakshiriis taken at a dose of 60ml per day to cure diabetes.
- In Goitre (Gandamala) – Decoction prepared from root bark of Svarnakshiri is taken internally.
- In digestive disorders (Agnimandhya) – Root bark crushed and Decoction made. Oral intake of this will cure digestive disorders.
- In Cough (Kasa) – Powder of Barkof Svarnakshiriis mixed with Ginger and taken repeatedly to cure cough.
- In worm infestations (krimi roga) – Decoction prepared from root bark of Svarnakshiri is taken at a dose of 60ml per day.
- In Fever (Jwara) – Decoction of Svarnakshiri and Mandukaparni is taken to cure fever at a dose of 60ml.
- In Heart diseases (Hrdroga) – Daily usage of Svarnakshiri can act as cardioprotective.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)