Sigru (Moringa oleifera)
Sigru – Moringa oleifera
Sigru, commonly known as Drum stick is one of the most commonly used herb for medicinal purposes. The word “Sigru” indicates that the plant have very potent qualities. Drum stick is also used as a vegetable. The plant Sigru grows upto medium sized tree and is cultivated through out India. The word ‘oleifera’ means oil bearing. Sigru have many therapeutic actions and nowadays used in both Ayurveda and Allopathic sciences as a medicinal herb.
Drum stick have many therapeutic properties and is used as an antioxidant, antiinflammatory agent, antispasmodic, stimulant, expectorant and diuretic. Dr.Gupta’s IAFA experts conducted various experiments to found out the vast usage of Drum stick. The ethanolic extract of flowers of Moringa oleifera have antioxidant potential and can act as antiinflammatory agent. The phyto constituents like Gallic acid aids antioxidant activity. The flowers are mainly used to prevent inflammatory conditions. The seeds of Moringa oleifera contains benzyl isothicocyanate and it can prevent the growth of bacterias like Staphylococcus aurous, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Bacillus subtilis, Escherichia coli etc. Our IAFA experts also conducted studies to prove that the seeds have antifungal activities and has succeeded well.
Action of Moringa oleifera or Sigru in Allergies
Our IAFA experts found out that the photo constituents in Drum stick plant like Leucine, aspartic acid, glutamic acid, glycine, valine, citric acid, histidine, quercetin etc have anti allergic property. The seeds contains isomeric benzyl isothicocyanate and found to have antibacterial actions. The whole plant can be used to treat skin allergic conditions. The extracts from the leaves are used to cure skin infections by applying the extract on the skin.
Vernacular Names and Botanical Classification
|Botanical name||Moringa Oleifera|
|Hindi name||Sahijan, Munaga|
|Sanskrit name||Shobhanjana, Shigru, Teekshangandha, Aksheeva, Mochaka|
|English name||Drumstick plant, Moringa, Horse radish tree|
|Kannada name||Nugge mara, Nuggekayi|
Ayurvedic Reference of Sigru
Parts Used of Moringa oleifera or Sigru
Drumstick is used for therapeutic purposes and is richest source of all vitamins and minerals.
- root bark,
- stem bark
|100 grams of edible portion of Sigru dry and fresh leaves contains|
|Dried Leaves||Fresh Leaves|
Carotene (Vitamin A)
Preparation and dosage of Moringa oleifera or Sigru
- Powder (choornam) – 3-5 gm per day
- Juice (swaras)– 15-30ml per day
- Decoction (kashayam)-30-60ml per day
Medicinal Properties and Uses of Moringa oleifera or Sigru
- Anti hypertyensive
- Anti flatulence
- Anti inflammatory
- Cardiac tonic
- Increase breast milk production
Home remedies of Moringa oleifera or Sigru
Sigru alleviates Vata and Kapha doshas and mainly used in the treatment of diseases caused by the combination of both Vata and Kapha doshas.
- In Eye disorders (Nethra roga) – The tender leaves of Sigru are collected and crushed well to extract the juice. Intake of this juice alleviates eye disorders.
- In Worm infestation (Krimi roga) – Decoction made with Moringa oleifera and Embelia ribes (Vidanga) is used to treat Worm infestation. Drinking 60 ml of this decoction along with honey can destroy harmful worms inside the body.
- In Headache (Sira sula) – The juice of leaves of Drum stick are collected and mixed with Jaggery. By the application of this mixture as nasal medication with a dose of 2-4 ml in each nostril can cure headache.
- Used as Carminative – Drum stick can increase digestive capacity. Decoction made with seeds of Drum stick has carminative property.
- In Swelling and Inflammatory conditions (Svayathu) – The bark of Drum stick plant is collected and crushed well. It is then made into a paste and applying this paste on swelling can reduce inflammation.
- In treating Ulcers (Vrana hara) – Applying the paste of bark of Sigru and drinking decoction made with 10-20 leaves of Drum stick can heal ulcers quickly, relieve itching and swelling over wounds.
- In relieving pain (Sula hara) – Fleshly collected leaves of Sigru are crushed well and made into decoction. Drinking this decoction along with honey can immediately relieve pain
- In Asthma (Swasa hara) – Decoction made with fruits of Drum stick can ease Asthmatic conditions. 60 ml of decoction can be taken on daily basis to cure Asthma.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist