Daruharidra (Berberis Aristata)
Daruharidra –berberis Aristata
Daruharidrais commonly known as Indian berberryorTreeTurmeric. It is an important herb used in Ayurveda. In Sanskrit it is also known as Darvi as the important part of the plant used as medicine is wood.The mainly used parts of Daruharidra are fruitandstem for medicinal purposes. ThefruitisedibleandisarichsourceofvitaminC. Daruharidraismainly effective forskin diseases likepsoriasisasithas antinflammatoryand antipsoriaticactivity.It also helps to remove acne.Daruharidrahelps to alleviating liver disorders by maintaining the levelofliverenzymes.
Dr.Gupta’s IAFA has been continuously working on Daruharidra for discovering more medicinal properties the plant. Our experts found out that the plant can act as antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, antipyretic, anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, anti-hepatotoxic, anti-hyperglycaemic, anti-cancer, antioxidant andanti-lipidemic agent. It also useful in the treatment of diarrhoea, haemorrhoids, gynaecologicaldisorders, HIV-AIDS, osteoporosis, diabetes, eye and ear infections, woundhealing, jaundice,skindiseases and malarial fever.
Action of Daruharidra –Berberis aristata in Allergies
IAFA has been constantly working on Daruharidra to found out the antiallergic and antiinflammatory properties of the plant. The plant contains phytoconstituents like berbamine, Berberine, oxycanthine, epiberberine, palmatine, dehydrocaroline, jatrorhizineand columbamine etc. And these chemical constituents present in Daruharidra helps to act as a antillergic agent.
Vernacular names and Classification
|Botanical Name||Beberis aristata|
|Sanskrit Name||Daruharidra, Darvi|
|Hindi Name||Daruhaldi, Darhald|
|English Name||Indian berberry|
Ayurveda reference of Daruharidra –Berberis aristata
Morphology of Daruharidra –Berberis aristata
- Erect spinous deciduous shrub
- Stem – woody
- Bark –yellow to brown from outside and dark yellow inside
- Leaves – obovate, orbicular
- Flowers – corymbose racemes, golden yellow coloured
- Fruits – ovoid
- Seeds – 2-5 in number
Geographical distribution of Daruharidra –Berberis aristata
It is distributed in different parts of the world. It is native to Himalaya in India. It also found in Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Nepal and America. It also grows in Nilgiris of South India.
Phytoconstituents of Daruharidra –Berberis aristata
The plant contains phytoconstituents alkaloids,flavonoids,triterpenes,diterpenes,anthranolglycosides,coumarins, tannins, saponins,glycosides. Berberine is an alkaloid found in the plant Daruhridra.
Parts used of Daruharidra –Berberis aristata
Dosage ofDaruharidra –Berberis aristata
- Decoction – 50 -100 ml
Medicinal Properties ofDaruharidra –Berberis aristata
- Sothahara – Relieves swelling
- Vedanasthapana – Relieves pain
- Vrunasodhana – Cures ulcer
- Vruna ropana – Heals wound
- Pachana – Digestant
- Grahi – Absorbent
- Raktasodhaka – purifies blood
- Varnya – improves body complexion
- Jvaraghna – Relieves fever
Home remedies of Daruharidra –Berberis aristata
In Ayurveda the treatment of different kinds of diseases are done by naturally availing non toxic drugs. We are continuously working on these plants to find out its pharmacological actions. IAFA have done so many studies on the plant Daruharidra and found out that it has wide range of actions. Some of the home remedies are given below.
- Ulcer (Vruna) –Paste of bark is applied externally and remove after 20 minutes.
- Leucorrhoea (Swetha pradara) – 15 gm of wood powder is taken internally along with honey for 5 days.
- Diabetes (Prameha – 10 gm of wood powder along with paste of curcuma taken internally in the morning before food.
- Jaundice (Kamala)- 50 gm of bark of Daruharidra added with 200 ml of water, boiled and reduced to 60 ml and taken internally for 7 days.
- Diarrheoa (Atisara) – ½ tsp of powder taken along with honey after food for 3 days.
- Menorrhagia (Pradaram) – 1 tsp of powder taken internally along with 1 glass of milk for 7 days.
- Conjunctivitis(Netrabhishyandanm) –paste of Daruharidra bark is applied over eyelids and remove after 30 minutes.
- Fever(Jvara)- 25 gm of bark of Daruharidra is added with 200 ml of water, boiled and reduced to 50 ml and taken internally for 5 days.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist