Chirabilva (Holoptelea integrifolia) - Uses, Benefits & Medicinal Properties
Chirabilva, commonly known as Indian Elm Tree is one of the most commonly used herbs for the alleviation of Inflammatory conditions and Worm infestation. The name is Chirabilva means that the plant alleviates the doshas very quickly. Chirabilva is also known as Udakirya meaning that it grows quickly near water resources. It is also useful in different allergic conditions.
Institute of Applied Food Allergy guided by Dr. Gupta, have been studying on readily available herbs for the purpose of alleviating allergic condition. Our experts studied on Chirabilva and proven the plant’s therapeutic activities like Anthelmintic, Carminative, Urinary astringent, Laxative, Anti-inflammatory actions, etc. Chirabilva can be used in various diseases like Diabetes, Worm infestations, Pules, etc. The methanolic and aqueous extracts of Chirabilva is found to be antiviral in action and can be effectively used against viruses like the influenza virus, Herpes simplex virus, etc. It is also proven to be anti-inflammatory and anthelmintic in nature. Nowadays Chirabilva is also used for treating allergic conditions.
Action of Chirabilva (Holoptelea integrifolia) in Allergies
IAFA experts have successfully proven the antiallergic property of the plant Chirabilva. The plant contains phytoconstituents like holoptelin A, holoptelin B, epifriedelinal, beta sitosterol, hexa cosanol, octacosanol, beta amyrin, amino acids, fatty acids, palmitic acid etc. These phytoconstituents aids the antiallergic and anti-inflammatory property of Chirabilva. It can be effectively used to alleviate skin allergic conditions.
Vernacular Names and Botanical Classification
|Botanical name||Holoptelea integrifolia|
|Sanskrit Name||Chirabilva, Udakirya, Karanji|
|English Name||Indian Elm Tree|
Ayurveda Reference of Chirabilva (Holoptelea integrifolia)
Morphology of Chirabilva (Holoptelea integrifolia)
- Large deciduous tree
- Bark smooth and grey colored
- Leaves are elliptic or ovate
- Inflorescence is a compound corymb
- Fruits are nearly orbicular
Geographical Distribution of Chirabilva (Holoptelea integrifolia)
Chirabilva is found throughout India especially in planes and hilly areas.
Phytoconstituents of Chirabilva (Holoptelea integrifolia)
The plant contains phytoconstituents like holoptelin A, holoptelin B, epifriedelinal, beta sitosterol, hexa cosanol, octacosanol, beta amyrin, amino acids, fatty acids, palmitic acid etc.
Parts Used of Chirabilva (Holoptelea integrifolia)
Dosage of Chirabilva (Holoptelea integrifolia)
- Juice of leaves (Patra Swarasa) – 10-20 ml
- Decoction (Kwatha) – 50-100 ml
Medicinal Properties of Chirabilva (Holoptelea integrifolia)
- Arsoghna – Relieves Piles
- Sulahara – Relieves Pain
- Sophahara – Relieves Swelling
- Jwaraghna – Relieves Fever
- Kushtaghna – Relieves Skin Diseases
- Krimighna – Useful in Worm Infestations
- Kandughna – Relieves Itching
- Vishaghna – Useful in Poisoning
- Vranahara – Useful in Wounds
Have A Health Issue?
– Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)
Ayurvedic Allergy Specialist
CEO & Founder of IAFA®
Home Remedies of Chirabilva (Holoptelea integrifolia)
Ayurveda is not only a treatment system but also a lifestyle. The treatment system provided by Ayurveda uses herbs that are commonly seen around. Chirabilva is one of the commonly seen herbs and is used in different diseases like:-
- In Piles (Arsas) – Paste of Chirabilva, Plumbago zeylanica, Zingiber officinale mixed with alkali of Chirabilva is useful in piles.
- In Worm Infestations (Krimi) – Freshly collected juice of Chirabilva is taken with honey.
- In skin diseases (Kushta) – Powder of Chirabilva is made and taken along with honey.
- In Diabetes (Prameha) – Decoction is made of bark of Chirabilva and taken to cure diabetes.
- In Fistula in ano (Bhagandara) – The seeds of Chirabilva are powdered well and used along with alkali made of Chirabilva.
- As Carminative (Deepana) – Chirabilva is powdered and taken before food. It can act as a carminative.
- In Swelling (Sotha) – Paste is made of Chirabilva and applied over area of Swelling.
- As Laxative (Anulomana) – Chirabilva is powdered and taken with hot water.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta (Ayurvedic Allergy Specialist)