Changeri (Oxalis corniculata)
Changeri - Oxalis corniculata
Changeri commonly known as “Indian sorrel” is a small creeping perennial herb which forms roots at nodes. Changeri is also known as ‘Amla pathrika’ because of the sour taste of it’s leaves. The scientific name Oxalis corniculata is formed from the words “Oxalis” which indicates the abundance of oxalic acid in the plant and “corniculata” meaning horny appendages.
The scientific experiments conducted by Dr. Gupta’s IAFA have proven the actions of this herb, like antimicrobial, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory. Changeri has been comprehensively recommended for it’s actions like carminative, digestion promoting, cure piles and cure skin diseases. As it is having Kapha and Vata dosha pacifying in nature along with antiallergic action, it is widely used in allergic skin diseases.
Various studies show that liver damage caused by the overdose of paracetamol can be treated by using the extracts of Oxalis corniculata. The phytoconstituents present in the plant helps to reduce serum enzymes such as Glutamate oxaloacetate transaminase, Glutamate pyruvate transaminase, Alkaline phosphatase which indicate it’s hepatoprotective and anti oxidant potential. Nowadays Oxalis corniculata is widely used as a remedy for Piles. Juice of Oxalis corniculata is used as an ingredient in relieving insanity.The abundant medicinal properties of Changeri makes it one of the most commonly used drugs in both modern and ayurvedic treatments.
Action of Oxalis corniculata or Changeri in Allergies
Phytoconstituents naturally found in Oxalis corniculata are Vitamin C, Carotene, Malic acid, Tartaric acid and C-glycosyl flavanoids. These chemicals aid to anti inflammatory, antibacterial and anti allergic actions of this herb. The Kapha and Vata dosha pacifying action makes it as one among the favourite herbs for Ayurveda practitioners in treating various allergic conditions.
Vernacular Names and Botanical Classification
|Botanical name||Oxalis corniculata|
|Hindi name||Teen Pattia (three leaflet structure on leaves)|
|Sanskrit name||Lonika, Kshudra amlika, Lola, Amlalonika,Dantaratha, Chatushparni|
|English name||Indian Sorrel|
Phytomorphology of Oxalis corniculata or Changeri
Changeri also known as “Amlika” due its nature of amla (sour) taste is a creeping weed. Numerous creeping branches on the ground rooted it again to form a new plant. The maximum height of plant is 2 to 3 feet. Changeri is also known as “Teen Pattia” due to its three heart shape leaflet structure. Yellowish color flower grow in cluster. Dark, egg shaped and flattened seeds are present in cylindrical capsule shaped fruits.
Phytogeography of Oxalis corniculata or Changeri
Changeri is perennial herbaceous creeping weed that grow generally in gardens, wasteland and roadsides in all provinces of India.
Phytoconstituents of Oxalis corniculata or Changeri
Oxalis corniculata chemically contains Malic acid, tartaric acid, citric acid, vitexin, isovitexin, Vitamin C, Carotene and C-glycosyl flavanoids.
Ayurvedic Reference of Bhumi Amla -Phyllanthus niruri
Parts Used of Oxalis corniculata or Changeri
- Whole plant
Dosage of Oxalis corniculata or Changeri
- Juices (swaras)–15-30 ml two times a day
- Decoction (Kwath)– 10-15-ml two times a day
Medicinal Properties and Uses of Oxalis corniculata or Changeri
- In Food Intolerances: it is a good appetizer, stimulates digestive fire, relieves abdominal pain; treat kapha and vata dosha related diseases like malabsorption syndrome, IBS, grahani, diarrhea
- Anti-fungal: used alone as a single herb against fungal infections like tinea infection, aspergillosis
- Anti-viral: used to treat HIV, HPV or in any kind of viral infection
- Immuno-modulator: used in immune compromised patients due to richest source of Vitamin C
- Nausea : relieves nausea and burping
- Antallergic: used to relieve aamvisha (toxins) or free radicals from the body, stimulates T-cells also.
- Skin Diseases: used to treat viral warts, corns and boils
- Eye diseases: used in early stages of cataract
- Cardiac Tonic: for overall wellness of body due to rich source of Vitamin C and potassium.
Home remedies of Oxalis corniculata or Changeri
Changeri is a popular herb, which have undergone various scientific studies in wide range of conditions. Changeri juice and fine powder has a great anti inflammatory, antiallergic and antibacterial action.
- In Piles: a combination of leaves of Trivrit (Operculina turpethum), Danti (Baliospermum montanum), Changeri and Citraka (Plumbago zeylanica) are fried in ghee or oil along with curd and used internally.
- In insanity: Juice of Changeri, sour gruel and jaggery to be taken in equal quantity, churned together and administered internally as a meal in case of insanity.
- In liver disorders: The extract of Oxalis corniculata leaves can be used in the treatment of liver damage caused by the over usage of paracetamol. 20-30 leaves can be uses for making extract and can be consumed once daily for 6 weeks.
- In Bacterial infection: The decoction made by grinding 10-20 leaves of Oxalis corniculata along with Curcuma (Curcuma longa) have excellent antibacterial property. It canbe taken internally once daily for two weeks to alleviate bacterial infection.
- Used in fever: The whole plant Oxalis corniculata is crushed and decoction made from it has anti pyretic action. 30 leaves can be used to make decoction of 200 ml. This decoction taken for three weeks helps in curing fever.
- Used in hyperglycemia: The leaves of Oxalis corniculata collected and crushed along with Haridra (Curcuma longa) and Amalaki (Embilica officinalis) made into decoction is having excellent hypoglycemic action and maintains the blood glucose level.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist