Bharangi (Clerodendron serratum)
Bharangi – Clerodendron serratum
Bharangi, commonly known as Glory bower is one of the most widely used herb in Ayurveda treatment procedures. The name Bharangi itself means that the plant is very useful and can destroy all the diseases. It possess the potency of a sun. It is also considered as an auspicious plant. When blossoms it appears like red hot coals so it is also known as Angaaravalli.
Dr.Gupta’s IAFA have been studying on readily available herbs for the purpose of alleviating allergic condition. Our experts studied on Bharangi and proven the plant’s therapeutic activities like Antiallergic, Spasmogenic, Psychostimulant, Cardiac stimulant, Analgesic, Irritant etc. It can be used to treat conditions like Bronchial asthma, Piles, Alcoholic conditions, Cough, Inflammation etc. The ethanolic extracts of roots of the plant have hepatoprotective action. Our experts have successfully proven the anti-inflammatory properties of alcoholic extracts of the plant. The methanol extraction is the reason for its antinociceptive and Antipyretic actions.
Action of Bharangi – Clerodendron serratumin Allergies
IAFA experts have successfully proven the antiallergic property of the plant Bharangi . The plant contains phytoconstituents like D mannitol, Glucose, Stigmasterol, saponin, sitosterol, serratagenic acid, catechin, caffeic acid, ferulic acid, arabinose etc. These phytoconstituents aids the antiallergic and analgesic property of Bharangi . It can also be effectively used in inflammatory conditions.
Vernacular names and Classification
|Sanskrit Name||Bharangi , Padma, Kharasakha|
Ayurveda reference of Bharangi – Clerodendron serratum
Morphology of Bharangi – Clerodendron serratum
- Medium sized shrub
- Stems are bluntly quadrangular
- Leaves are opposite, oblong
- Inflorescence is panicle
- Flowers are blueish to dark purple
- Fruits are drupe
Geographical distribution of Bharangi – Clerodendron serratum
Bharangi is found in Karnataka,Kerala, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal etc
Phytoconstituents of Bharangi – Clerodendron serratum
The plant contains phytoconstituents like D mannitol, Glucose, Stigmasterol, saponin, sitosterol, serratagenic acid, catechin, caffeic acid, ferulic acid, arabinose etc.
Parts used of Bharangi – Clerodendron serratum
Dosage of Bharangi – Clerodendron serratum
- Powder(churna)- 6 g
Medicinal Properties of Bharangi – Clerodendron serratum
- Kasa hara – relieves cough
- Vedanahara-relieves pain
- Sophahara – relieves swelling
- Swasahara – relieves asthma
- Rasayana – rejuvenative
- Jwaraghna – useful in fever
- Pacana – digestant
- Dipana – carminative
Home remedies of Bharangi – Clerodendron serratum
Ayurveda is presentfrom ancient timeitself and is a system of medicine which uses commonly seen herbs to treat various diseases. Bharangi is one of the commonly seen herb and can be used to treat diseases like,
- Inbronchial asthma (Swasa) – Paste prepared from Bharangi and Ginger is taken with decoction of Chithraka.
- In Chronic fever (Jirna jwara) – Powder of Bharangi , Symplocus racemosa, Santalum album, Acorus calamus is taken with sugar, ghee, honey and milk.
- In Swelling (Sotha) – Powder of Bharangi is made into a paste with ghee and applied.
- In Fever (Jwara) – Decoction of Bharangi is taken at a dose of 60ml per day for a period of 7 days.
- As Digestant (Pacana) – The root of Bharangi is powdered and taken after food.
- As a Carminative (Deepana) – Bharangi powdered and taken before food. It can act as a carminative.
- In Pain (Sula) – Decoctionof Bharangigivenat a dose of 60ml .
- In Cough (Kasa) -Bharangiroot is powdered and taken with honey.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist