In 21st century, there is a dramatic change in lifestyle, food habits and environment. As a result, human beings started facing various types of disorders. Due to wrong lifestyle and changing environment, the immunity of a person gets weakened which results in many diseases. For prevention as well as management of diseases that are caused by low immunity, there are safe and effective ayurvedic treatment for nasal allergies. The alternative treatment such as Ayurveda provides a long-lasting relief in the nasal allergies.
What are the Symptoms of Nasal Allergies?
The nasal allergies whether seasonal or perennial is characterized by:
- Irritation in the nose is the first symptom
- Rhinorrhoea is watery and copious
What are the Causes of Nasal Allergies according to Ayurveda?
According to Ayurveda, Vayu prakop and vitiation of Vatadosha are the main causes in samprapti of nasagatrogas. Hence Vata and Kapha dosha shamana is the line of ayurvedic treatment along with correcting the Agni (digestive fire).
What is the Ayurvedic Treatment for Nasal Allergies?
Ayurvedic treatment includes prescription of herbs that correct the digestive system, nasya treatment, herbal remedies for balancing the doshas etc.
The medicated oil in nostril is used for shodhana and snehana purposes. Nasya gives protective action against pollutants like dust, pollen grains, smoke etc. so it is beneficial in nasal hygiene as well. Nasya is done with the help of medicated oil. The oil having katutikta rasa and ushnavirya is used as it helps in pacifying the kaphadosha and therefore the symptoms of nasal allergies are reduced. Thus, congestion is reduced. The sense of smelling is the role of vatavahdhamanya and due to snigdhguna and ushnavirya shaman property of oil, sense of smelling is also improved due to nasya.
Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
- Ginger is a highly effective herb for nasal allergies. It is useful in expelling ama (toxins) from the body which is considered as the root cause of nasal allergies in Ayurveda.
- Ginger works as a natural anti-histamine, potent anti-viral agent and boosts immunity as well.
- Ginger tea is very useful in nasal allergies.
- Ginger piece sprinkled with rock salt can be taken before meals as it helps in the digestion of ama.
Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Haridra is commonest of all herbs which is found in every Indian household kitchen.
- Ayurveda explains it as most useful anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory, anti-biotic and analgesic herb.
- It is a nature’s best remedy for nasal allergies.
Diet and Lifestyle
- Eat light, warm and cooked food: Warm, cooked and vegetarian foods prepared with a little bit of cow ghee helps in the treatment of nasal allergies. In Ayurveda, it is said that eating warm and cooked foods gives the digestive fire of the body to take rest. When the digestive system is hampered, it can’t access the nutrition stored in raw foods and the poorly digested foods create toxins in the body.
- Limit Dairy Products: Reducing or avoiding dairy products will help in reducing the symptoms of nasal allergies as consumption of dairy products aggravates the Kaphadosha in the body.
- Use Neti Pot: Jalneti is a traditional yogic nasal cleansing system which involves clearing the nasal passages with salt water with a neti pot which looks like a miniature teapot with a particularly long spout. Cleansing with neti pot should be practiced in the morning prior to breathing exercises such as pranayama.
- Do Gentle Exercises and Practice Pranayama: Simple exercises and pranayama can help not only on physical level but also on mental and spiritual level as well.
- Use warming spices in cooking to support the digestive fire such as turmeric, cumin seeds, coriander, garlic, black pepper etc.
When agni or digestive fire is restored, avoid aggravating allergens and ama by making conscious choices for maintaining balance or the internal energies or doshas. Instead of seeing environment as a threat, focus on calming the excitability of the immune system through safe and effective alternative treatment for Nasal Allergies. You can contact us by calling on contact number: (+91) 9612180000, (+91) 9215500605 or email us at: [email protected], for Ayurvedic consultation and treatment.