The incidence of fungal infections is increasing at an alarming rate, presenting an enormous challenge to healthcare professionals. Although rarely life-threatening, they can have debilitating effects on a person’s quality of life. Some people suffer from fungal infections due to the intake of immunosuppressants in medical conditions. Let’s know about 5 amazing home remedies for fungal infections.
Fungal infections of the upper extremity are of four main types: cutaneous, subcutaneous, deep, and systemic.
Classification of Fungal Infections
- Dermatophytosis (Tinea)
- Tinea capitis (ringworm of the scalp)
- Tinea pedis
- Tinea crusis
- Tinea unguium
- Tinea versicolor
What are the Causes of Fungal Infections?
Persons having weak immune system are more prone to fungal infections. In addition, the causes of fungal infections are:
- Chronic illnesses like diabetes, AIDS, cancer etc.
- Intake of antibiotics and corticosteroids from long duration.
Concept of Fungal Infections in Ayurveda
According to all Ayurvedic texts, fungal infections are classified under the aegis of Dadrukushta. The reddish coloured pidaka (lesion) in the form of mandala (rounded lesion) with elevated borders and itching is defined as Dadru in Ayurveda.
Improper food habits, wrong lifestyle, mental stress and tension, unhygienic practices etc. are some of the reasons of fungal infections according to Ayurveda.
Ayurveda recommends an alkaline diet which is high in bitter and astringent tastes but low in sweet taste should be taken.
The bowels should also be kept clean by including rich fibre meals and gentle laxatives like triphala in case of constipation.
Amazing Home Remedies for Fungal Infections
1. Aloe Vera (Aloe barbadensis)
- Aloe vera is a time-tested natural remedy to cure any skin infection. This plant is rich in anti-oxidants and anti-bacterial properties.
- The pulp of aloe vera inhibits the growth of yeast spores as it contains compounds capable of combating Candida albicans strain.
- It not only treats the infection but also soothes the infection and repairs skin damage as well.
2. Garlic (Allium sativum)
- Garlic is one of the most important anti-fungal and anti-microbial herbs.
- People who eat garlic on a regular basis are less susceptible to fungal infections.
- For local application, crush some garlic with olive oil and apply on the affected area for half an hour.
- Garlic supports immune system too.
3. Neem Leaves (Azadirachta indica)
- Neem leaves are very effective for each and every kind of infection. It is known for its innumerable health benefits. Neem leaves contain two main medicinal compounds – nimbidol and gedunin. They are extremely effective in killing fungus.
- For external use, washing the infected area with neem water helps in treating fungal infections.
- Dry and crush some neem leaves to make a powder. Add sandalwood powder to the neem powder. Now make a paste with rose water. This mixture is extremely helpful in killing the fungal infection.
4. Plain Yogurt
- Plain yogurt is full of live bacterial cultures, particularly the Lactobacillus strain.
- This friendly bacterium helps in regulating the normal bacterial flora in the gut.
- You can consume fresh yogurt regularly for fungal infections.
- Washing the affected area with yogurt also helps in providing relief from fungal infection.
5. Coconut Oil
- Coconut oil is a great source of healthy fatty acids and Vitamin E.
- In research, it has been found that Candida albicans strain of fungi was the most susceptible to concentrated coconut oil. In the study, it was also found that less coconut oil was needed to get rid of the yeast than fluconazole (anti-fungal medication most commonly recommended for the treatment of yeast infections).
- Coconut oil is anti-fungal in nature. It is also useful in treating scalp ringworm.
- It is extremely nourishing and soothing for dry and sensitive skin as well.
- Avoid walking barefoot on beaches, swimming pools, etc.
- To avoid moisture, dry all body parts after taking bath.
- Never ever share your personal products and items with anyone.
- Eat a healthy and wholesome diet.
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water every day to detoxify the body.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after touching contaminated places and articles.
Thus, Ayurvedic treatment of fungal infections provides relief from simple remedies that do not cause any side effects. If more assistance is required, book your appointment to consult with our health experts now.