सिद्ध्मंरूक्षंबहि: स्निग्द्धमन्तर्घृष्टंरज: किरेत् l
Psoriasis is a common chronic skin disease that manifests as red, itchy, scaly patches. It is commonly observed on the trunk, knees, elbows and scalp.It follows a flaring up and subsiding pattern over months or years. In Ayurveda, condition similar to Psoriasis is explained as Sidhma. Dr. Gupta’s IAFA offers effective Ayurvedic treatment for embarrassing diseases like Psoriasis. IAFA is an experienced institution in the management of such varied skin diseases and allergies.
Causes of Psoriasis
Psoriasis is considered as an auto immune disease that makes the skin to regenerate at faster rates. In some cases, this results in formation of scales and reddish patches. Both genetic and environmental factors are considered to be important in the occurrence of this non-contagious disease.
Common factors that trigger psoriasis include:
- Throat or skin infections
- Cold and dry climate conditions
- Skin injuries such as a cut, insect bite, or a sunburn
- Mental factors like stress
- Smoking and exposure to smoke
- Uncontrolled alcohol consumption
- Certain medications
Ayurvedic reference of Psoriasis-Sidhma
Symptoms of Psoriasis
Signs and symptoms of psoriasis may vary in each person. Common manifestations include:
- Red patches of skin covered with thick and silvery scales
- Tiny spots of scaling
- Dry and cracked skin that can bleed or itch
- Burning sensation and itching
- Nails become thickened, ridged or pitted
- Swollen and stiff joints
- Patches range from a few spots to major eruptions
- Commonly affected areas are the soles of the feet, scalp, lower back, elbows, knees, legs, face and palms.
Types of psoriasis
- Plaque psoriasis: The most common form manifested as dry, itchy or tender, raised, red skin patches covered with silvery scales.
- Nail psoriasis: Affect fingernails and toenails, resulting in pitting, abnormal nail growth and discoloration.
- Guttate psoriasis: Common in young adults and children. Symptoms include small, drop-shaped, scaling lesions on the trunk, arms or legs.
- Inverse psoriasis: Inverse psoriasis results in smooth patches of red skin that aggravate with friction and sweating.
- Pustular psoriasis: This is a rare form of psoriasis manifested as clear defined pus-filled lesions that appear either in widespread patches or in smaller areas on the palms of the hands or the soles of the feet.
- Erythrodermic psoriasis: It is the least common type of psoriasis that can cover entire body with an itchy or burning, red, peeling rash.
- Psoriatic arthritis. Psoriatic arthritis causes swollen and painful joints that can affect any joint. It can cause stiffness and progressive joint damage that may end in permanent joint damage.
“Dr. Gupta’s IAFA is a promising institute in the management of several health disorders. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® provides the best available and scientific treatment for Psoriasis to reduce the weird symptoms as well as its repeated occurrence”.
Rely IAFA and you will enjoy the blessing of good health!!!
-Allergist, Dr. Sahil Gupta
Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine & Surgery
Master’s in Health Administration
Diet Management in Psoriasis
Do’s (Pathya) in Psoriasis
- Consume old harvested grains and cereals
- Include more fruits and vegetables in diet
- Drink warm water
- Drink adequate water
- Green gram
- Goose berry
- Take food only after digestion of previous meal
- Expose to mild sunlight daily at morning and evening
- Mild to moderate exercise
- Maintain personal, social and environmental hygiene
- Sleep approximately for 7 hours per day
- Positive and stress-free mind
- Maintain healthy and happy relation between friends and relatives
Dont’s (Apathya) in Psoriasis
- Excessive sweet, salty, spicy and sour food
- Fermented food
- Soft drinks
- Non-vegetarian diet
- Black gram
- Old and refrigerated food
- Reheated food
- Alcohol intake
- Working in AC room for long time
- Day sleep
- Stress and mental tension
Yoga and Pranayama in Psoriasis
It helps to increase blood circulation and increase the immunity of body. Following postures will be especially beneficial in Psoriasis:
Pranayama helps to attain great relaxation to mind. Pranayama ensures blood flow to all body parts along with mental strength.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Psoriasis
Ayurveda suggests internal as well as external medicines in the management of Psoriasis.
Internal Medicines for Psoriasis
Following medicines can be advised for managing Psoriasis
- Kaisoraguggulu Tablet
- Dooshivishari Tablet
External Medicines for Psoriasis
External medicines as listed below can be provided for managing Psoriasis.
External Therapies in Psoriasis
- Swedana (Sweating therapy)
- Abhyanga (Oil massage)
- Kshalana (Washing)
- Takradhara (Pouring medicated butter milk)
Purification Therapies in Psoriasis
- Snehapana (intake of medicated ghee)
- Vamana (Emesis)
- Virechana (Purgation)
- Raktamoksha (Blood-letting)
Single Herbs in the management of Psoriasis
- Katurohini (Picrorrhizakurroa)
- Lajjalu(Mimosa pudica)
- Swetakutaja (Wrightiatinctoria)
- Nimba (Azadirachtaindica)
- Patola (Tricosanthesdioica)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Kushta (Saussurealappa)
- Amalaki (Emblicaofficinalis)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist