Oropharyngeal Candidiasis (Mukhpaka)
कफजेमधुरास्यत्वंकण्डूमत्पिच्छिलाव्रणा: ॥अ.हृ.उ. २१/६२॥
Oropharyngeal Candidiasis - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Candida is a fungus present in the mouth of up to 60% healthy people but infection is commonly associated with immunosuppression, use of broad-spectrum antibiotics, diabetes, use of corticosteroids, denture wear, haematinic deficiencies, etc.
In Ayurveda, this condition can be correlated to Mukhpaka. Mukh stands for oral cavity or mouth and paka refers to any inflammation or ulceration.
Dr. Gupta’s IAFA successfully treats this condition in adults as well in children’s also. IAFA provides very safe and effective treatment for oropharyngeal candidiasis.
Causes of Oropharyngeal Candidiasis
In Ayurveda, this condition is caused due to the aggravation of Kapha dosha. Kapha dosha gets aggravated in the oral cavity and stomach leading to oral thrush or oropharyngeal candidiasis.
Ayurvedic Reference of Oropharyngeal Candidiasis
Symptoms of Oropharyngeal Candidiasis
- Pain and tingling sensation around the mouth
- Burning while masticating the food
- Watering of the mouth
- Cracking in the ulcers of the mouth
“Dr. Gupta’s IAFA is providing very safe and effective herbal remedies for Oropharyngeal Candidiasis. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® is the destination of choice for people who are seeking authentic natural Ayurvedic treatment for fungal infections”.
Commitment to authentic Ayurvedic treatment…!!! Dr. Gupta’s IAFA for your future health.
– Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)
Ayurvedic Allergy Specialist
CEO & Founder of IAFA®
Diet Management in Oropharyngeal Candidiasis
- Take foods rich in zinc such as pumpkin seeds, cashew nuts, beans, etc.
- Include whole grains and fortified cereals in the diet.
- Dairy products such as cow ghee and cow milk are recommended.
- Intake of Pitta and Kapha dosha aggravating foods such as fried, spicy, and non-vegetarian food should be avoided.
- Consumption of tea, coffee, and alcohol should be avoided.
Yoga Therapy in Oropharyngeal Candidiasis
- Practice Pranayam such as Kapalbhati and Anulom – Vilom.
- Various Yoga Postures such as
- Paschimothasana are beneficial.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Oropharyngeal Candidiasis
The Ayurvedic line of treatment of Oropharyngeal Candidiasis includes Shodhana (purificatory) therapy as well as local application of sheetal dravya (coolants). Other Ayurvedic therapies such as Gandusha (Mouth Gargling) and Kavala (Oral Medicaments) also yield good results.
IAFA provides purificatory and palliative therapies for the successful management of Oropharyngeal Candidiasis.
Oropharyngeal Candidiasis Care Pack for Adults
Dosage / Usage:
For External Use:
Purificatory Therapies are as follows:-
Gandusha (Ayurvedic Therapy for Oral Cavity) and Kavala (Mouth Gargling): In Ayurveda, Gandusha and Kavala are described for the treatment as well as prevention of the diseases of the mouth, teeth, and gums. These are age-old Ayurvedic procedures that help to balance the affected doshas by removing the toxins. IAFA provides effective herbal remedies for both Gandusha and Kavala. These are:
1. For Gandusha: IAFA AF – 7 Oil: Holding IAFA AF – 7 Oil inside the mouth or oil pulling twice a day.
2. For Kavala: Shirish Chhal Powder: Take 10 gm Shirish Chhal Powder and make a decoction. Gargle with this decoction twice a day.
For Internal Use:
3. IAFA AF -7 Tablet: Take 2 tablets twice a day after a meal.
4. Aam Visha Balance Tablet: Take 1 tablet twice a day 1 hour after taking meals.
5. IAFA AF – 7 Tea: It can be consumed any time twice a day.
6. Changeri Capsules: Take 1 capsule twice a day after a meal.
1. Shirish Chhal Powder:
IAFA’s Shirish Chhal Powder contains the dried extract of the herb Albizia lebbeck. Being rooksha (dry), Kashaya (astringent) and madhura (sweet) in taste, it helps in relieving inflammation and bringing about quick wound healing in fungal disorders such as oropharyngeal candidiasis.
2. IAFA AF – 7 Oil:
IAFA AF – 7 Oil is a proprietary herbal oil that is an efficient solution for conditions such as: fungal infections, burning, itching, etc. It is a unique formulation of anti-microbial and anti-fungal herbs such as: Aragwadha (Cassia fistula), Nimba (Azadirachta indica), Khadira (Acacia catechu), Triphala (Compound drug), Asana (Pterocarpus marsupium), Madhuka (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa), Sariba (Hemidesmus indicus), Kamal Kesara (Nelumbo nucifera), Padmaka (Prunus cerasoides), Sarjarasam (Vateria indica), Guggulu (Commiphora mukul), Dadima Patra (Punica granatum), Priyangu (Callicarpa macrophyllum), Sirisa (Albizia lebbeck), Saindavam (Rock Salt) and Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera).
3. IAFA AF – 7 Tablet:
IAFA AF – 7 tablet is infused with 7 anti-fungal herbs which in combination work as a miracle in alleviating fungal infections such as oropharyngeal candidiasis by increasing the immune power and impart resistance against fungal infections. It contains herbs such as: Khadira (Acacia catechu), Guggulu (Commiphora mukul), Nimba (Azadirachta indica), Haridra (Curcuma longa), Tvak (Cinnamomum zeylanicum), Ela (Elettaria cardamomum), Chakarmard (Cassia tora), and Triphala (compound drug).
4. Aam Visha Balance Tablet:
IAFA’s Aam Visha Balance Tablet is an excellent remedy for balancing the Pitta dosha. It balances Pitta dosha by correcting the digestive fire and eliminating harmful toxins. It is infused with Pitta pacifying minerals such as: Kamdudha Ras (Ayurvedic calcium compound), Giloy Satva, Akik Pishti (Agate calcium), Praval pishti (Coral calcium), Jahar mohra pishti (Ayurvedic calcium compound), Godanti Bhasma, Mukta pishti (pearl), Shankh bhasma (Conch shell) and Kapardak bhasma. These herbs and minerals have digestive action and help in relieving nasal obstruction due to infection and over-activity of mucous secreting glands.
5. IAFA AF – 7 Tea:
IAFA AF – 7 Tea is a proprietary Ayurvedic preparation consisting of 7 immune system rejuvenating herbs under the experienced healthcare professionals of the Institute of Applied Food Allergy®. This tea is excellent for individuals who have aggravated Pitta dosha. It helps in dealing with the symptoms of oropharyngeal candidiasis such as: burning sensation, itching, cracking, redness, soreness, etc. It is a mixture of the following antioxidant herbs: Katurohini (Picrorhiza kurroa), Pada (Cissampelos pareira), Daruharidra (Berberis aristata), Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia), Kutaja (Holarrhena antidysenterica), Khadira (Acacia catechu), and Chirayata (Swertia chirata).
6. Changeri Capsules:
Changeri is commonly known as Indian Sorrel. IAFA’s Changeri Capsules is prepared from the purified extract of Oxalis corniculata herb. This herb is rich in Vitamin C and various other nutrients. Being anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal in nature, these capsules are beneficial in the treatment of oropharyngeal candidiasis.
Oropharyngeal Candidiasis Care Pack for Kids
Dosage / Usage:
For External Use:
Purificatory Therapy for Oropharyngeal Candidiasis in Kids are:
1. IAFA AF – 7 Oil for local application: Apply 3-5 ml of IAFA AF – 7 Oil over an infected part, enabling it to be absorbed. Apply it twice a day.
For Internal Use:
2. Aahar Amrutham Bindu: 1 ml (1 dropper) with 10 ml water on an empty stomach.
3. Shishu Laxoherb: 1 ml (1 dropper) with 10 ml of water twice a day.
4. Haridrakhandam: 1-2 grams once or twice a day.
1. IAFA AF – 7 Oil:
IAFA AF – 7 Oil is completely an herbal formulation without the addition of chemicals in it. Being an herbal formulation, it is completely safe for children and helps in healing fungal infections when applied externally. It contains herbs such as: Aragwadha (Cassia fistula), Nimba (Azadirachta indica), Khadira (Acacia catechu), Triphala (Compound drug), Asana (Pterocarpus marsupium), Madhuka (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Lodhra (Symplocus racemosa), Sariba (Hemidesmus indicus), Kamal Kesara (Nelumbo nucifera), Padmaka (Prunus cerasoides), Sarjarasam (Vateria indica), Guggulu (Commiphora mukul), Dadima Patra (Punica granatum), Priyangu (Callicarpa macrophyllum), Sirisa (Albizia lebbeck), Saindavam (Rock Salt) and Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera).
2. Aahar Amrutham Bindu:
IAFA’s Aahar Amrutham Bindu is an herbal formula for kids and children which is extremely safe for them. It is helpful in oropharyngeal candidiasis by promoting gastrointestinal wellness. It comprises the following ingredients: Vacha (Acorus calamus), Musta (Cyperus rotundus), Parpata (Fumaria indica), Bilva (Aegle marmelos), Dadima (Punica granatum) and Sariva (Hemidesmus indicus).
3. Shishu Laxoherb:
IAFA Shishu Laxoherb is an excellent and absolutely safe preparation for kids that works on the digestive system, balances the vitiated doshas and helps in alleviating oropharyngeal candidiasis in children. Ingredients of IAFA’s Shishu Laxoherb are: Revand Chini (Rheum emodi), Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare), Anjeer (Ficus carica), Amaltaas (Cassia fistula) and Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra).
Haridrakhandam is a classical Ayurvedic formulation that is highly effective in infections. Its main ingredient is Haridra (Curcuma longa). Due to the presence of Haridra, it is useful in fungal and bacterial infections in children.
- Child Health and Ayurveda, First Edition 2021, by Sahil Gupta, Angular Stomatitis Chapter No. 14, Page No. 63-66.
- Ayurvedic Aspects of Allergies and Fungal Infections, Edition 2021, by Sahil Gupta, Fungal Infection Chapter No. 41, Page No. 248-249.
- Sharma PV, Sharma P. Charaka Samhita: Vimanasthanam. 23rd ed. Ch 5. Varanasi, India: Chaukhambha Orientalia; 1981. p. 226-40.
- Chakravorty RC. Head and neck diseases in an ancient Indian surgical text (The Sushrut Samhita) Med Hist. 1971; 15:393-6.
- Athavale VB. Dant rogas. In: Athavale VB, editor. Dentistry in Ayurveda. 1st ed. New Delhi: Chaukhambha Sanskrit Pratishthan; 1999. p. 7-11.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist