Makeup Allergy (Mukhalepavisha)
पद्मिनीकण्टकप्रख्यै: कण्टकैश्चोपचीयते ll
It is the type of hypersensitivity reaction caused by reaction to makeup items applied on body. Since makeup is applied commonly on face, the allergic reactions are more seen on face. The manifestations on skin may vary depending on the type of cosmetic used and the mode of response. Sometimes the reaction will be allergic or in other times it will be irritant. Ayurveda explains such kind of allergic reactions as Mukhalepavisha (Poisoned cosmetics). Dr.Gupta’s IAFAhas formulated specific Ayurvedic treatment protocol for this condition. IAFA is equipped with all kinds of curative methods for various types of allergies including Makeup allergy.
Causes of Makeup Allergy
Allergic reactions to makeup can result from various ingredients in the products. Many of the products contain chemical or herbal constituents. Mostly the fragrances and preservatives are responsible for causing allergic reactions. Perfumes are added to cover up the unpleasing smell of chemicals. Preservatives like parabens, formaldehyde, phenoxyethanol, methylchloroisothiazolinone, etc. are added in order to increase the life period of cosmetics. Also, people with sensitive skin are more prone to such reactions.
Ayurvedic Reference of Makeup Allergy- Mukhalepavisha
Symptoms of Makeup Allergy
Allergic reaction to makeup will be exhibited at the site of application of makeup substances. The symptoms can appear suddenly after application or after several years of continuous use. It may extend from a simple rash to complete discoloration. Common symptoms of Makeup Allergy are:
- Dry skin
- Scaly skin
- Eczematous appearance
- Pricking sensation soon after application of cosmetic
Less common manifestations include black heads, darkened skin etc.
Ayurveda details the symptoms of Makeup Allergy as blackish discoloration of skin, formation of blisters, oozing, cracking and burning of skin, pain, thorny projections etc.
Types of Cosmetic Skin Reactions
There are mainly two types of skin reactions towards makeup. They are;
- Irritant Contact Dermatitis: It occurs when some irritants in the Makeup products cause damage to the skin. The skin may get burnt, itching and redness can develop at the site of application. The blisters formed, if scratched may cause oozing.
- Allergic Contact Dermatitis: It is the allergic response caused by involvement of body’s immune system. Symptoms include redness, itching, swelling etc. In Allergic Contact Dermatitis, symptoms can be manifested in any body part.Mostly symptoms are seenon face, lips, ears,eyes, and neck.
“Dr.Gupta’s offers effective Ayurvedic management for Makeup allergy. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® has formulated specific Ayurvedic treatment protocol for this condition. IAFA is equipped with all kinds of curative methods for various types of allergies including Makeup allergy.
Own a healthy and glowing skin from the essence of Ayurveda through IAFA!!!
-Allergist, Dr. Sahil Gupta
Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine & Surgery
Master’s in Health Administration
Diet in Makeup Allergy
Do’s (Pathya) in Makeup Allergy
- Use natural makeup products
- Test the make up for allergic reactions before applying it
- Wash hands and face before makeup
- Wash the face thoroughly with water and cleanser after use of make up
- Use make up products with lesser number of ingredients.
Don’ts (Apathya) in Makeup Allergy
- Spicy food
- Non-vegetarian food
- Cigarette smoking
- Fried and bakery food
- Day sleep
- Sleeping without clearing makeup
- Continuous use of makeup products
Yoga and Pranayama in Makeup Allergy
Yoga helps to increase blood circulation that provides healthy and glowing skin. Following Yoga postures will be beneficial for skin:
Pranayama is purifies blood and increase its oxygen carrying capacity. It helps to maintain healthy skin.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Makeup Allergy
Ayurveda has advised treatment for makeup allergy. Ayurvedic management includes internal medicines as well as external therapies.
External application for Makeup allergy
Treatment Procedures in Makeup Allergy
- Virechana (purgation)
- Lepana (Medicinal paste)
- Seka (Pouring medicated liquid)
Single Herbs in the Management of Makeup Allergy
- Chandana (Santalum album)
- Usheera (Vetiveriazizanoides)
- Madhuka (Glycyrrhizaglabra)
- Bharangi (Clerodendronserratum)
- Punarnava (Boerrhaviadiffusa)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist