Gout - Vatrakta
Gout is sudden, severe onset of burning feet, redness in the joint (and often the joint is base) of the big toe. An attack of gout can occur suddenly at midnight while waking up. These attacks can happen over unless it’s get treated, gout can harm joints, tendons and other tissues. Gout is frequently involved lower extremities joints and classic location to occur is base of the big toe. It can also affect the foot, knee, ankle, wrist, hands, and nearly any joints. When the disease is severe multiple joints may be affected. This causes pain and joint stiffness in multiple joints.
Gout is caused by high quantity of uric acid present in the blood stream and it accumulates in the tissue of the body. Uric acid crystals deposits in the joints causing pain, redness, heat, swelling, etc. Gout is the common type of arthritis that can affect anyone. Gout can occur from combinations of diet, other health problems and genetic factors. It occurs most commonly in those who regularly consumes meat, sea food, alcohol, beer or overweight. Dr. Gupta’s IAFA has formulated specific Ayurvedic treatment protocol for this condition as Gout is indirectly related to our incompatible food combination we ate. IAFA is equipped with all kinds of curative methods for various types of joints pain including Gout.
Uric acid is a waste chemical product produced by final breakdown of purine in the body carried in the blood and excreted by the kidneys through urine. Formation of uric acid in the body is normal and is necessary for food metabolism. Uric acid prevents damage to blood vessel linings. But higher levels of uric acid is harmful for blood vessel linings. Uric acid levels raise because kidneys not working well or uric acid levels are too high to excrete or due to both the conditions.
Another sign of gout is the presence of Tophi. A tophus is a hard-uric acid nodules that deposits under the skin on the elbows, upper ear cartilage, on the surface of other joints. When tophi present then body indicates higher levels of uric acid present in the body. Higher levels of uric acid in the blood stream typically has been high for years. Longstanding untreated gout can lead to joint damage and physical deformities. Kidney stone may be sign of gout, uric acid crystals can deposit in the kidney and can cause kidney stones.
Physical fitness, healthy weight, low fat dairy products, lesser extent coffee, intake of vitamin c decreases risk of gout. Peanuts, brown bread, fruits also appear protective. Both lifestyle changes and medications can decrease uric acid and also with reducing intake purine rich foods animal meat, seafood, alcohol, fructose, losing weight.
Causes of Gout or Vatrakta
- Wrong Food Combinations
- Drinking Alcohol
- Consuming Dried Food Items
- Spoiled or Preserved Seafood
- Excessive Consumption of Salt, Sour, Pungent, Bitter, Alkaline, Oily & Hot Food items.
- Daytime Sleep
- Night Awakening
- Anger, Stress
Ayurvedic Reference of Gout-Vatrakta
As per Ayurveda Gout or Vatrakta is caused by causative factors aggravates vatadosha and vitiates raktadosha and both circulates all over the body then gets lodged in big toe causing severe pain, burning sensation, swelling, stiffness in the joint. And when the disease aggravated maximum joints get involved. Vatrakta in Ayurveda described under Vatvyadhi chapter. It is a chronic and complex metabolic disorder of musculoskeletal system. Vata and Rakta are both vitiated by causative factors so the disease named as Vatrakta. Due to similar signs and symptoms Gout is compared with Vatrakta.
Types of Gout or Vatrakta in Ayurveda
There are four types of Vatrakta explained in Ayurveda,
- VatajVatrakta: In this type of Vatrakta, vatadosha is most vitiated and symptoms occurs pain, twitching, swelling sometimes more or less, Skin tans, body ache, stiffness in the body, cold is unbearable to these patients.
- Pittaj Vatrakta: In this type of Vatrakta Pitta Dosha gets most vitiated and symptoms occurs like severe burning sensation, pain, giddiness, thirst, redness on swelling sites, warm to touch, cracks on the skin, dryness on the body parts.
- Raktaj Vatrakta: In this type of VatraktaRakta dhatu gets vitiated and symptoms occurs like severe swelling and pain, pricking pain, Fatigue, itching and moistness on the skin.
- Kaphaj Vatrakta: In this type of Vatraktakaphadosha gets vitiated and symptoms occurs like body pain, moistness, severe itching, less pain.
Based on Location Two Types of Vatrakta:
- Uttana Vatrakta: This type of Vatrakta affects superficially on skin and muscles. Symptoms are like skin lesions and muscle pain.
- Gambheer Vatrakta: This type of Vatrakta involves deeper tissues like bone and joints and internal viscera. Symptoms are complicated and joint symptoms are more.
Signs and Symptoms of Gout or Vatrakta
- Sudden Severe Pain in the Joint
- Burning Sensation
- Redness and Tenderness in the Joint
- Lingering Discomfort
- Tophi Nodules seen on Elbow, Ear, around Big Toe, etc.
“Institute of Applied Food Allergy® offers comprehensive and evidence based therapeutic solutions in order effectively manage a spectrum and all incompatible food combination related disorders like Gout in Ayurveda”.
A transforming, healing presence in Ayurveda !!!
Reach Dr. Gupta’s IAFA for all your worries about your health.
-Allergist, Dr. Sahil Gupta
Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine & Surgery
Master’s in Health Administration
Diet Management in Gout or Vatrakta
Do’s (Pathya): Consume following,
- Old Harvested Food Grains
- Cow & Buffalo Milk
- Elephant Foot Vegetable
- Bitter guard
- Ash gourd
- Drink moderate Water
Don’t s (Apathya):
- Black Gram
- Seafood, Meat
- Avoid excessive Alcohol
- Avoid Day Time Sleep
- Avoid Exposure of Heat
Yogasanas for Gout or Vatrakta
Yoga can help in managing body weight, improving flexibility and circulation of the joints so it prevents depositing uric acid crystals in the joints. Yoga makes you aware of your body. Yoga also help in reducing uric acid levels in the body. Practice following Asanas regularly,
- Ardha Matyasendrasana
Ayurvedic Treatment for Gout-Vatrakta
Ayurveda is showering unique treatment protocol that encapsulates internal medicines, external medicines, purification therapy etc. according to the condition of patient and intensity of diseases.
Internal Medicines for Gout or Vatrakta
All these medicines should be consumed under Ayurvedic Physician’s guidance only.
- Gudhuchi Ghanvati
- Amruta Guggul
- Kaishor Guggul
- Mahamanjisthadi Kadha
- Sameerpannag Rasa
Purification Therapy for Gout or Vatrakta
Purification Therapy is detoxification procedure and it has a unique approach to the disease hence it’s essential for the management of the disease.
- Snehana Or Oleation Therapy – it involves applicable of oils or ghee and herbs to the body externally. It is a procedure before detoxification Therapy.
- Swedan – It is a Steam given to the body before Detoxification Therapy. Steam is usually a Ayurvedic herbs combinations.
- Vaman – Vaman is therapeutic vomiting which is medicated emesis.
- Virechana – It’s administration of purgatives for the cleaning of aggravated doshas.
- Sirovirechan – Some Ayurvedic herbs oil administered through nose.
- Basti – Enema of some herbs in the form of kadha, oil to cleanse aggravated doshas from the intestine.
- Raktamokshan or blood letting – It is used to remove impure blood from the body and it helps to eliminate vitiated dosha and toxins from the body.
Single Herbs for Gout or Vatrakta
- Giloy (Indian Tinospra)
- Hareetaki (Terminalia Chebula)
- Shatavari (Asparagus)
- Manjistha (Rubia Cordifolia )
- Errand (Castor)
- Rasna (Pluchea Lanceolata)
- Sariva (Indian Sars Parilla)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist