Fungal Ear Infection (Krimikarna)
Fungal Ear Infection - Krimikarna
Fungal ear infection or Otomycosis, a fungal infection of the ear canal often due to Candida and Aspergillus is a very common disease, especially in tropical and subtropical areas. Even though it is a rare possibility that otomycosis can lead to as severe complication as deafness, the symptoms of the disease like itching, discharge and pain makes the patient quite irritated and hence the quality of life is at stake. There can be lack of concentration due to these symptoms which may result into ‘loss of work hours’. Also the disease exhibits peculiar nature of recurrence, which extends the period of suffering in the patient.
Fungal ear infection cannot be directly correlated with a particular disease mentioned in Ayurvedic classics. Rather different stages of this disease depict different diseases from the texts. On the basis of clinical features, different stages of otomycosis can be included under Karnakandu, Kaphaja Karnashoola, Karnasrava and Krimikarna.
Dr. Gupta’s IAFA aspires to be the destination of choice for people seeking superior healthcare through leading-edge treatments and provides special treatment for fungal ear infection.
Causes of Fungal Ear Infection
Etiological factors of Fungal ear infection include:-
- Scratching of the ear
- Water entry in ear
- Long standing use of topical antibiotic
Ayurvedic Reference of Fungal Ear Infection - Krimikarna
Symptoms of Fungal Ear Infection
Symptoms: The Usual clinical trial of symptoms is earache, itching and otorrhoea.
Deafness and tinnitus etc. are the other associated symptoms.
- Cotton-like growth
- Wet blotting paper-like mass
- Discharge: Colourless, blackish or brownish and scanty discharge may be present.
- Tenderness: Movement of pinna is tender; there is tenderness below and in front of (tragus) the ear.
“At Dr. Gupta’s IAFA we are providing very effective treatment for Fungal ear infection based on the classical principle of Ayurveda and our research. Institute of Applied Food Allergy® ensures that our health care system better meets the needs of all about your health”.
Remarkable medicine. Remarkable care!!! Dr. Gupta’s IAFA for your healthy future!!
– Allergist, Dr. Sahil Gupta
Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine & Surgery
Master’s in Health Administration
Diet Management in Fungal Ear Infection
Do’s (Pathya) in Fungal Ear Infection
- Regular cleaning of ear canal in an interval of 2-3 days till the prohibition of fresh fungal growth is an essential factor for quick relief of the disease
- Pathya ahara includes godhuma (wheat), shali (red rice), mugda (green gram), yava (barley)
Don’ts (Apathya) in Fungal Ear Infection
- Hot & Humid atmosphere
- water entry in the ear
- scratching of the ear by unsterile instrument such as, Matchstick, hair pin, key & finger nail etc
- Ahara dravyas predominant in guru guna and which leads to increase in kapha should be avoided.
- Head bath, vigorous brushing of teeth, physical exertion
Yoga Therapy for Fungal Ear Infection
Ayurvedic Treatment for Fungal Ear Infection
Acharya Susruta gives a generalized treatment protocol for Karnasrava, Putikarna and Krimikarna. Sirovirecana (purgative therapy), Karna-Dhoopana (fumigation), Karnapurana (drug instillation), Karna-Pramarjana (wiping), Karna-Dhavana (cleansing), and Karna-Prakshalana (washing) are the therapeutic procedures to be adopted according to different stages of these conditions.
Internal Medicines for Fungal Ear Infection
- Balahadadi thailam
- Kayunnyadi thailam
- Vacha lasunadi thailam
- Kshara thailam
- Karpuradi thailam
- Pathyasadangam kashayam
- Surasadi choornam
- Guggulupanchapala choorna
Local therapeutic procedures like dhoopana (fumigation) gain much importance in otomycosis. Dhoopana with drugs like surasa, haridra, nimba etc and Vartaka dhooma which have krimihara properties are found effective in otomycosis.
Single herbs used in Fungal ear infection
- Nimba (Azadirachta indica)
- Suraya (Ocimum sanctum)
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Vilwa (Aegle marmelos)
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist