Vasa (Adhatoda vasica)
Vasa – Adhatoda vasica
Vasa commonly known as Malabar nut is one most significant herb used in Ayurveda. The name ‘Vasa’ itself means that plant alleviates many diseases and restores the health. The word ‘Adhatoda’ is derived from its Malabar name ‘Adalodaka’ and ‘vasica’ indicates its fragrance. Vasa is found abundantly through out India and is one of the most useful herb ever found.
Vasa is useful in many diseases like Hemorrhage, Fever, Cough, Asthma, Skin allergies, Jaundice, Anorexia etc. Malabar nut have properties like bronchodilation, expectorant, abortificient, hypoglycemic etc. Dr.Gupta’s IAFA experts are consistently working on Vasa to found out more medicinal properties of the plant. Through various research studies, IAFA scholars has proven the detoxification action of aqueous extracts of leaves of Vasa. The phytoconstituents present in the plant have antiinflammatory and antimicrobial actions. Vasa can be used effectively to treat oedema. The methanolic fraction of leaves of Vasa have larvicidal activities against Aedes aegypti vectors. The anti ulcer activities of the plant are also well known. Our experts have also proven the antiallergic activities of Vasa.
Action of Vasa – Adhatoda vasica in Allergies
The plant Vasa contains phytoconstituents like quinazoline derivatives such as vasicine, beta sitosterol, kaempferol, peganine, adhatodine and anisoline which aids in the antiallergic property of the herb. Vasa is effectively used to treat skin allergic conditions. The leaves of the plant are used as an ingredient in the preparation of Skin allergic diseases. IAFA, through various studies has successfully proven the antiallergic property of Vasa.
Vernacular Names and Botanical Classification
|Botanical name||Adhatoda vasica Nees. (Adhatoda zeylanica Medicus), Adhatoda beddomei|
|Family||Acanthaceae (Vasa Kula)|
|Hindi name||Adosa, Arusha, Rus, Bansa, Adusa|
|Sanskrit name||Vasa, Vasaka, Vasika, Vasayati Acchadayati, Simhi, Simhasya, Medanta, Vrisha, Vrusha, Varshati, Madhu, Atarusha, Atarooshaka, Bhishagatma|
|English name||Malabar Nut|
|Tamil name||Eadadad, Adathodai|
|Bengali name||Adulsa, Bakash, Vasok Punjabi Name-Vamsa, Bhekkar|
|Marathi name||Adulsa, Adusa|
|Telgu name||Addasaramu, Adam Kabu, Adampaka|
|Gujrati name||Adusol, Aradusī, Also, Aduraspee, Bansa|
|Kannada name||Adusogae, Adu muttada soppu|
Ayurvedic Reference of Vasa – Adhatoda vasica
Parts Used of Vasa – Adhatoda vasica
- Whole plant
Preparation and dosage of Vasa – Adhatoda vasica
- Powder (choornam) – 1-3 gm per day
- Juice (swaras)– 20-30ml per day
- Decoction (kashayam)-50-100ml per day
- Ghrita (herbal ghee) 5-10 grams once or twice a day before food
Medicinal Properties and Uses of Vasa – Adhatoda vasica
- Food allergy: eliminates aam visha (free radical) and stimulate agni (digestive fire), hence helps to reduce vomiting sensation and digestive disorders like in food allergic conditions.
- Nasal allergy: found very effective in breathing problems, cough and cold, asthma, rhinitis, sinusitis and bronchitis.
- Skin allergy: krimighan (helps to remove intestinal worms), kanduhara (relieves in generalized pruritis).
- Diuretic: relieves in hypertension and in kidney related disorders.
Have A Health Issue?
– Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)
Ayurvedic Allergy Specialist
CEO & Founder of IAFA®
Home remedies of Vasa – Adhatoda vasica
Ayurveda, the ancient Indian medical system have provided various herbal remedies to the world. Vasa is one among the herbs, which is popularly used in various conditions as home made preparations.
- In Hemorrhage (Rakthapitta) – Fresh leaves of Vasa are collected and made decoction. It is then taken along with honey and sugar at a dose of 60 ml. Drinking this decoction can cure Hemorrhage.
- In Cough (Kasa) – Vasa leaves are collected and crushed well. It is then made into decoction and drinking this at a dose of 60 ml can immediately cure cough.
- In Fever (Jwara) – The juice of the leaves are taken along with Sugar and honey. This mixture can cure Fever.
- In Jaundice (Kamala) – Fresh leaves of Vasa are collected and squeezed well to obtain juice. Oral intake of this juice for a period of 7 days along with honey will alleviate Jaundice.
- In Hoarseness of voice – The leaves of Vasa are collected and dried in sunlight. It is then powdered well and taken along with honey.
- In Asthma (Swasa) – Drinking the decoction made with leaves of Vasa for a period of 14 days will improve asthmatic conditions.
- In Vomiting (Chardi) – The leaves are collected and squeezed very well to obtain the juice. Smelling this juice can avoid vomiting.
- In Skin allergic conditions (Kushta) – The powder of leaves of Adhatoda vasica and Azadirecta indica are mixed well with ghee. Applying this paste on skin can alleviate skin allergic conditions
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist