On This Page
Dhataki – Woodfordia fruiticosa
Dhataki, commonly known as Fire flame bush is very well known for its attractive flowers. The name itself means that the herb have attractive flowers and it is also used as medicines. The name Woodfordia is given after the botanist Woodford and floribunda indicates the clustered appearance of flowers. The flowers of Dhataki is an important ingredient in preparation of medicinal beverages.
Institute of Applied food Allergy guided by Dr.Gupta mainly aims in alleviating allergic conditions by using naturally available herbs by methods mentioned in ancient Ayurvedic textbooks. Our experts studied on Dhataki and proven the plant’s therapeutic activities like Astringent , Stimulant , Carminative, Tonic,wound healer, anti-inflammatory etc. Dhataki can be used to treat diseases like diarrhea , thirst, indigestion, worm infestations , fever, abdominal pain, piles etc. The ethanolic extracts of the plant have significant antidiabetic actions. Our experts have successfully proven the hepatoprotective action of flowers of the plant. The ethanolic extracts have immunostimulatory activities and hence used to boost immunity.
Action of Dhataki – Woodfordia fruiticosain Allergies
IAFA experts have successfully proven the antiallergic property of the plant Dhataki. The plant contains phytoconstituents becogenin, gallic acid, ellagic acid, B sitosterol, tannin, ursolic acid, kaempferol, lawsone, octacosanaoletc. These phytoconstituents aids the antiallergic and anthelmintic property of Dhataki. Paste or powder of flowersof Dhatakican be effectively applied on the skin to alleviate skin allergic conditions.
|Dhataki , Parvathiya, Subhiksha
Morphology of Dhataki – Woodfordia fruiticosa
- A straggling leafy shrub
- Branches are long and spreading
- Bark is smooth
- Leaves are opposite, lanceolate
- Inflorescence is cyme
- Fruits are capsule
Ayurveda reference of Dhataki – Woodfordia fruiticosa
Geographical distribution of Dhataki – Woodfordia fruiticosa
Cultivated through out India especially in South Indian states like Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
Phytoconstituents of Dhataki – Woodfordia fruiticosa
The plant contains phytoconstituents likebecogenin, gallic acid, ellagic acid, B sitosterol, tannin, ursolic acid, kaempferol, lawsone, octacosanaol.
Parts used of Dhataki – Woodfordia fruiticosa
Dosage of Dhataki – Woodfordia fruiticosa
- Powder(churna)- 3-6 g
Medicinal Properties of Dhataki – Woodfordia fruiticosa
- Pramehahara- cures diabetes
- Sulaghna-alleviates pain
- Swasahara – relieves asthma
- Dipana – as carminative
- Krimighna – useful in worm infestations
- Kushtaghana- relieves skin diseases
- Jwaraghna – useful in fever
- Arsoghna – useful in treating piles
Home remedies of Dhataki – Woodfordia fruiticosa
Ayurveda is not only a treatment system popular in India which uses commonly seen herbs for medicinal purpose. Dhataki is one of the most widely used herb. Due to its high medicinal value it is used in treating many diseases like,
- In Skin diseases (Kushta) – Paste prepared from Lodhra, Dhataki and seeds of Pongamia is efficacious as an ointment in Kushta.
- In Conjuctivitis(Abhishyanda)- Powder of Dhataki and Sandal mixed with breast milk and applied as collyrium
- In Dysentery (Pravahika) – Juice of Dhataki flowers is mixed with powder of Lodhra, honey, and butter milk and is taken
- In Diarrhoea (Atisara) – Combination of Flowers of Dhataki, sugar and paddy are administered internally and it will check diarrhoea in children.
- In Fever(Jwara) – Decoction prepared from Dhataki and Tulasi is taken internally at a dose of 60ml per day.
- In oedema (Sotha) – Paste of Dhataki and Sarsapa is applied on the body part. It will cure oedema.
- In Diabetes (Prameha) – Decoction of Dhatakiand Gooseberry is taken to cure diabetes.
- In Cough (Kasa) -Rhizomeof Dhataki is powdered and taken along with honey
Ayurveda is an Indian system of medicine which is popular from ancient times. It uses different plants and plant products as medicine. Dr.Gupta’s IAFA have been conducting research studies to find out different phytoconstituents of herbs and their action in body. The knowledge acquired through these researches are used to make different medicines. IAFA is the provider of safe and effective treatment for a wide range of diseases, mainly allergic diseases all based on Ayurveda.
Reach IAFA for safe herbal remedies for all your ailments!!!
Was this Page Helpful?
Read More Articles
Know the Astrological and Ayurvedic Benefits of Vaiduryam Gemstone, which is also…
Let’s get complete information about allergic asthma treatment and management options, which…
Ayurveda offers effective solutions for Oat milk allergy treatment. It is a…