Asana (Pterocarpus marsupium)
Asana – Pterocarpus marsupium
Asana, also known as Bijaka is one of the most readily available herbs in India. The tree have many therapeutic applications and the name Bijaka itself means that the plant is very much beneficial in curing diabetes. The fruits of the plant are spread over a large area as it is a large tree. The name Pterocarpus indicates the winged fruits of Asana.
Dr.Gupta’s IAFA have been studying on readily available herbs for the purpose of alleviating allergic condition. Our experts studied on Asana and proven the plant’s therapeutic activities like Astringent , Antiinflammatory, Antibacterial, Blood purifier , Anthelmintic, Antipyretic, Spasmodic actions etc. Asana can be used in various diseases like Diabetes, Skin diseases , Bleeding disorders , Fever, Worm infestation etc. The aqueous extract of the heartwood of the herb Bijaka have antidiabetic activities. Our experts have conducted studies on the plant and proven that the stem bark extracts of Bijaka have antioxidant properties. We are also conducting experiments on the plant to prove the cardiotonicactivities of aqueous extract of Asana.
Action of Asana – Pterocarpus marsupium in Allergies
IAFA experts have successfully proven the antiallergic property of the plant Asana. The plant contains phytoconstituents like Kinotannic acid, Kino red, Kino pyrocatechin, resin, gallic acid etc. These phytoconstituents aids the antiallergic, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory property of Asana. It can be effectively used in skin allergic conditions.
Vernacular names and Classification
|Sanskrit Name||Asana,Bijaka, Sugandhi|
|English Name||Indian Kino tree|
Ayurveda reference of Asana – Pterocarpus marsupium
Morphology of Asana – Pterocarpus marsupium
- Moderate to tall sized deciduous tree
- Heart wood is golden brown or reddish brown
- Leaves are compound type
- Inflorescence is terminal panicle
- Fruits are pod
Geographical distribution of Asana – Pterocarpus marsupium
Asana is found throughout India especially grows in South India.
Phytoconstituents of Asana – Pterocarpus marsupium
The plant contains phytoconstituents like Kinotannic acid, Kino red, Kino pyrocatechin, resin, gallic acid .
Parts used of Asana – Pterocarpus marsupium
- Heart wood
Dosage of Asana – Pterocarpus marsupium
- Powder(churna)- 1-4 g
- Decoction (kwatha) – 40 ml
Medicinal Properties of Asana – Pterocarpus marsupium
- Sophahara – relieves swelling
- Jwaraghna – relieves fever
- Pandurogahara – cures anaemia
- Krimighna – useful in worm infestations
- Kandughna – relieves itching
- Arsoghna – useful in piles
- Vranahara – useful in wounds
Have A Health Issue?
– Dr. Sahil Gupta (B.A.M.S., M.H.A.)
Ayurvedic Allergy Specialist
CEO & Founder of IAFA®
Home remedies of Asana – Pterocarpus marsupium
Ayurveda is an ancient Indian system of medicine which uses commonly seen herbs to treat various diseases. Asana is one of the commonly availableherbs and has different uses like,
- In Diabetes (Prameha) –Decoction prepared from leaves of Bijaka is given at a dose of 60ml per day.
- In Skindiseases (Kushta ) – Decoction of Bijaka and Khadira is given internally and the sane Decoction is used for bathing also.
- In Vitiligo (Swithra) – milk processed with Bijaka is given to the patient and it will cute Vitiligo.
- In Fever (Jwara) – Powder of Bijaka is mixed with sugar and given in fever.
- In Anaemia (Pandu) – Bijaka powder is mixed with decoction of Emblica officinalis, Terminalia chebula and Terminalia belerica and given internally.
- As Laxative (Anulomana) – Low doses of Bijaka powder is given with hot water.
- In Swelling (Sotha) – Decoction of Asanaleaves is given ata dose of 60ml to cure swelling.
- In Worm infestations (Krimi) – Bijaka powder is given to cure diseases due to worm infestations.
Article Written By: Dr. Sahil Gupta, Ayurvedic Allergist