Nasal congestion, commonly known as the stuffy nose is a condition where excessive fluid accumulates in the nasal and adjacent tissues, leading to the swelling of blood vessels. This mucus that builds up in the sinuses also causes sinus pressure along with nasal congestion. This condition results in either a stuffy or runny nose, and one may also experience pressure around the cheeks and other facial areas.
The condition is extremely common in kids and people of elderly age. Few common causes of Nasal Congestion and Sinus Pressure apart from Chronic Sinusitis include:
- Minor illness
- Hay Fever
- Exposure to Chemicals
- Development of Benign tumors (non-cancerous) in the nasal passage.
- Irritants present in the environment
Having understood the common causes behind the contraction of chronic sinusitis, that causes both of these conditions, one can take certain measures to prevent it. Further in this article, we will talk about Nasal Congestion Treatment, Sinus Pressure Treatment, and their symptoms.
Common Signs and Symptoms
- Stuffy or Runny Nose
- Mucus build-up
- Swollen Nasal Tissue
- Sore Throat
- Pressure is accompanied by pain in the sinuses, ears, and teeth
- Tenderness of the face
- Sinus headache
- Facial swelling
- Allergic rhinitis
Ayurvedic Treatment for Nasal Congestion and Sinus Pressure
Despite the huge variety of drugs that are available in the market for treating nasal congestion, Ayurveda is gaining popularity as it is extremely effective and free from any side effects.
Ayurveda suggests various Ayurvedic treatment measures, which when practiced over a period of time and on a regular basis can help in treating nasal congestion and sinus pressure permanently. The procedures make use of simple home ingredients that are usually and commonly available in our households. A few of these measures and ingredients include:
- Garlic: A mixture prepared from garlic juice, crushed peppercorns, basil juice, and honey may be consumed every day in summers, and even twice during winters to observe significant results.
- Ajwain / Carrom Seeds: Use of Ajwain is one of the oldest and most trusted remedies in Ayurveda for treating nasal congestion. A small quantity of ajwain may be tied up in a cotton cloth, heated in a vessel, must be sniffed throughout the day. This helps in clearing the blocked nasal passage. Inhaling steam with carrom seeds added to the water can also contribute to curing the condition.
- Anu Oil: Anu oil is suggested by Ayurveda for treating various nasal disorders. Since the nose is considered to be the path to the brain, it is also believed that the oil helps in curing various mental disorders. It helps in treating inflammation of the nose caused due to congestion, headache, sinusitis, loss of memory, etc.
Therapies and Yoga Poses
- Nasya Therapy: Herbal powder, herbs, and oils are beneficial in providing relief from nasal congestion. Oil and herbs are induced in the system through the nostrils, as a part of this therapy, which helps in loosening the mucus lodged in the sinus and nasal passages. A vigorous head massage along with medicated smoke inhalation is often given before this procedure.
- Nasal Cleaning Exercise: Also known as jalneti must be practiced to cure headaches, nasal allergy, colds, and sinusitis.
- Yoga Poses: Bhujangasana, Sarvangasana, Uttanasana, etc. are highly recommended by Ayurveda for treating nasal congestion permanently if practiced on a daily basis.
Diet and Lifestyle Guidelines
- One must maintain a pacifying diet when trying to take control of nasal congestion.
- A regular and frequent intake of fluids is essential to thin out the mucus.
- Foods that are too hot or cold must be avoided.
- Drink lots of water along with spices to detoxify the sinuses.
Having a bad day with nasal congestion and clogged sinus can be extremely uncomfortable and annoying. Its treatment is therefore of great importance and practicing the above-mentioned techniques, remedies, diet, and lifestyle guidelines can certainly contribute to treating these two conditions permanently.
For any further Ayurvedic assistance you can get in touch with us at IAFA® where we are committed to providing you with the best Ayurvedic Treatment measures, suggested by our Ayurveda Healthcare Experts. Book your appointment today!